X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high pressure ?

Were do you drawl the line ? When ever I make a connection to the water distribution system I check the pressure and if it reads over 80 psi I decline to do any work until the excess pressure is corrected with a pressure reducing valve . This go s for any one that calls me or that Lowe's sends me to. I now have a job that I refused to do were the pressure was at 90 psi the people claimed that they called a plumbing inspector and were told that it was not a problem . Now the code states that static pressure in a house is not to exceed 80 psi . and when I checked it the time was around 12:00 p.m. I wonder what it is around 2:30 am when no water is being used in that area? Lowe's is now sending another guy behind me who I guess may not care . I have since called a inspector that I call from time to time and he told me to inform them that 90 psi is only allowed for high rise buildings and not homes. How would you handle this ?

Re: high pressure ?

Tough call. Code is code and lawsuits are lawsuits.

Some won't touch it without a PRV.

But business is business. I'm inclined to tell you to have a waiver signed and get to work. The lights have to stay on.

J.C.

Comment

2 prv s are always on the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
        I've answered the question. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

in once sense you inform the customer about the issue, but it comes across as blackmail.

90# is not that high to be worried about since the building has been running on it up until you showed up.

typically i would inform the customer and let them know that it needs a regulator, but unless i see that it's a serious issue, i would still do the job and document my findings. if need be have the homeowner sign off on it.

refusing to do the work just comes across too harsh and salesman like.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Agree with Rick..90# isn't that high at all.

I would never tell a customer they needed a PRV unless the water company calls for one to be on the water service, or the old one is bad. If I run into a situation in where the pressure is extremely high I'll say something then. But most in my area are in the 70-80# range anyways.
            Last edited by Flux; 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Respect your code book, but don't marry it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                Inform the customer of the condition, try for the upsale, If you get it great if not never turn down a meal... Document the condition and get the job done.

Bill

Comment

Tell them the truth stuff wears out quicker at higher pressure. The faucets and cartridges last longer at 60psi than 90psi. The regulator will save them money in the long haul.

Comment

Well I talked to a inspector in Baltimore county and he told me they don't even check this unless they get a complaint. And to make some kind of release for a customer to sign , and don't turn down work unless they don't sign . Also check the warranty of the dishwashers it may state that it is void if on high pressure. Now I am getting my self into a whole new mess! Eleven year service plumber trying to do new work in the hardest jurisdiction in Maryland get ready for some new questions! This is down were oldone works may need to give him a call. Thanks for the responses I guess with a release the problem is off your back. Can you guys post what you use or how you word this.

Comment

Ya high pressure can really wear out some parts. I had one customer who called me and told me his toilet wouldn't stop running even after he installed a new fill valve... First thing I did was check pressure and found it to be what I would call "excessively high" - 140PSI... Replacing the PRV should have automatically taken care of the toilet problem, but the damage was already done apparently and he needed yet another new fill valve.
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I think Rick gave you very good advice.

Inform your customer the plumbing code requires that for pressure levels exceeding 80 PSI a PRV be installed. Explain they will benefit if they have one installed because their faucets will last longer. Answer their questions if they have any, then, if they aren't interested, politely let the subject drop and get about your work.

On the invoice for your work briefly describe the customer was informed of the system pressure and the need for the PRV. Don't say they declined, as the fact the PRV wasn't installed indicates that fact. This way your customer will realize that you simply informed them of the facts rather than tried to high pressure them, or guilt them, into a sale.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                        X