X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New-to-me 3" copper waste line fittings

Cleared a toilet line recently. 3" copper. Plugged at the stack junction. Couldn't get anything but a tiny retriever into it, so I put a camera in to see what was up.

Looong story short, the 'object' I thought I saw turns out to be a baffle in the san-t much like the baffle in a disposer diverter-t. Never seen a fitting like this before. Strikes me a s a recipe for clogs, especially in 3" in a toilet line, as it cuts the flow path in half. At least two lines (and presumably the whole building) is done with these, but the head of maint tells me he doesn't see an unusual number of clogs.

Anyone seen these? Are they common? A bad idea that went away? A fine idea that's still used? What's the point of them?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: New-to-me 3" copper waste line fittings

Are you saying the w/c goes from a 3" 90 to a 3" Sanitary Tee? Typically directly behind the w/c? And that Tee has a baffle?

If so never seen that either. What the heck am I asking all of these questions for? Almost no copper DWV here either.

J.C.

Comment

more or less... it's 12' from the flange to the stack, and some things drop in along the way, but at the stack it hits a san-t with a baffle in it just like a diverter t. I though a piece of tin or something had com in from the roof and lodged there, but when I camera'd in from the unit above (same floor plan) I see exactly the same thing, then went past it to look down on the first one I saw, and yep, it's basically a 3" diverter t. half the stack blocked by the slanty part coming out from the side to a vertical bit bisecting the fitting.

I made a vid I'll upload later if there is enough interest.

Just never seen this before and thought it very strange (and kind of pointless and asking for trouble). Wondered if it was something common I'd never seen because I just don't see copper waste.
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

are you 100% sure it's not a back to back toilet? the baffle is used to keep 1 toilet from flushing into the other and help when snaking.

required with back to back toilets.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          are you 100% sure it's not a back to back toilet? the baffle is used to keep 1 toilet from flushing into the other and help when snaking.

required with back to back toilets.

rick.
          You mean a 3" or 4" Sanitary Cross, right?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TffvcCXMS4E
            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

see the double figure 6 with baffle page 15. this is the vertical back to back fitting. the double fig. 8 is the horizontal back to back with baffle.

http://www.tylerpipe.com/documents/catalog2008web.pdf

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

see the double figure 6 with baffle page 15. this is the vertical back to back fitting. the double fig. 8 is the horizontal back to back with baffle.

rick.
                That's a dead link on my end. Repost if you can. EDIT: NOW IT WORKS.

We never see that fitting here. (Double Figure 6 with baffle) They have many "VooDoo fittings" in there. Interesting catalogue.

Thanks.

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

rick.
                  These are cast iron fts though. He said it was copper.
                  It looked to me like the wye was single, not back to back, no?

This is really baffling huh

Comment

i only come across copper dwv in large bore in some older high rise buildings. 2'' and smaller is common. 3'' and greater is not as common. although i do have some 3'' copper dwv wye's at the shop.

to me it looked like there was another junction coming in from the right side and possibly behind the baffle. only reason to have a baffle is to separate the flow into a common inlet.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the stack comes down vertical, then angles off to one side, then bends back in. That's what you see behind the baffle; the stack bending back in. So it is kind of back to back, in that the vertical has been bent off to the side and then brought back in opposite the toilet line....

just an odd odd way to do it if you ask me. Threw me for a loop as I thought that baffle was an object lodged in the line and I wasted a few hours figuring out what it was.

Comment

The world really does look different from inside a sewer. Very hard to visualize reality from in there.

Comment

I just cut out some 3" copper waste pipe...never saw that before....it has a smaller OD than 3" abs....fernco worked but was not perfect.....I know one thing about it, its good for my recycle pile

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            The world really does look different from inside a sewer. Very hard to visualize reality from in there.

Life must be very different experience for a sewer rat than it is for a person.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by orcuttal View Post
                              I just cut out some 3" copper waste pipe...never saw that before....it has a smaller OD than 3" abs....fernco worked but was not perfect.....I know one thing about it, its good for my recycle pile
                              I see and have worked on the copper.in homes as well as high rise.They make stainless sheathed couplings(mission brand for one) to adapt to the smaller outside diameter of the copper so one is not forced to use the Fernco which is not allowed inside a structure out here.

Comment

Working...
                              X