X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a career change ????

I imagine the pipe inspection Buss. will be getting a Huge Jump Start in this country after this disaster. Question, What education or special training would be required for one to enter this field! Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Time for a career change ????

x-ray vision

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It would take some big gear to inspect 24" high pressure gas lines.

-Full CCTV rigs (large camera tractors)
      -Specialized NDI Equipment (X-ray / ultrasonic)
      -Helium or some kind of large scale trace gas inspection gear
      And most of all ALOT of insurance

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

30" line here
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Around here I have heard them refered to as smart pigs. I bet they are exspensive. i think you are right about it being a good buisness to get into. We just had an oil line break and dump about 800,000 gallons in west Mi.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Thanks Bill , I'm thinking of the good plumbers with out work,
            And the ones just getting in to Your trade. I could see this as a new class for trade schools !!! 2 mill. miles underground pipes in USA ,I read !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I imagine the pipe inspection Buss. will be getting a Huge Jump Start in this country after this disaster.
              I doubt it. Gas lines have been exploding and killing for years and everybody already knows the gas line infrastructure is aging and crumbling just like every other infrastructure in this country.

There will be a lot of talk about getting to the bottom of this, but in the end it will be just that, 'Talk'. Once all the finger pointing is done and all the scapegoats are blamed, and the lawsuits are paid, and the elections are over it will be back to business as usual and we'll just have to wait for the next big KABOOM!

Remember the bridge collapse a while back, and all the talk of replacing bridges all over the USA?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I doubt it. Gas lines have been exploding and killing for years and everybody already knows the gas line infrastructure is aging and crumbling just like every other infrastructure in this country.

There will be a lot of talk about getting to the bottom of this, but in the end it will be just that, 'Talk'. Once all the finger pointing is done and all the scapegoats are blamed, and the lawsuits are paid, and the elections are over it will be back to business as usual and we'll just have to wait for the next big KABOOM!

Remember the bridge collapse a while back, and all the talk of replacing bridges all over the USA?
                I guess things are different around here. Every single bridge within 20 miles of the Capital is being refurbished. We also got the lions share of the American Reinvestment & Recovery Act.
                Ive noticed a few trucks around here dragging a plate with a ton of wires connected to it. Looked very hi-tech. The guy said its a sonar system detecting micro fractures in water and gas lines under the street.
                I threw the BS flag when he said it works even when he's doing 40 MPH.

Comment

Need about a $100,000.00 rig and a big donation to a political campaign to get a separate party testing requirement.

Hate to be that negative, but I think it's true.

J.C.

Comment

We have been talking about building a rig for municipal camera work, wouldn't be such a jump to design the truck around inspecting gaslines.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      We have been talking about building a rig for municipal camera work, wouldn't be such a jump to design the truck around inspecting gaslines.
                      If you can make it work, go for it. There are monsters out there though.

http://www.insituform.com/

Did our area sewer system before any independent even knew what was going on.

J.C.

Comment

Smart pigs are the deal. Many times they are custom designed to the particular job or section of pipe. They can run into the tens of thousands and many are one time use. I have worked places where they do regular inspections of their critical piping, and they use many different technologies. The equipment used for transcontinental pipelines does not work well in facilities like chemical plants, refineries, or power plants with multiple lines criss-crossing along with energized duct banks and conduit runs. Plus it is very expensive. For overland runs it works well, covering up to 30 miles in a day depending on terrain and if working from one or more vehicles.

Yeah, I would think insurance would be a big piece of your overhead in this racket. E&O is a biggie, miss something and you might as well pack it in w/o it. Can you imagine where you'd be if 6 months ago you had been the one who did the inspection on the line that BLEVE'd* in San Bruno?

* BLEVE = Blast Leveling Everything Very Effectively
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Gee you think it needs to be a explosion proof camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

Gene You were just proven wrong! Feds just gave PG&E months to inspect ALL Pipes in Ca, Around 5500 miles

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Gene You were just proven wrong! Feds just gave PG&E months to inspect ALL Pipes in Ca, Around 5500 miles
                              In a sense it's still just talk, and something to give the cattle to chew on.
                              This pipe was already inspected and found to be in danger of failing.
                              So what now, inspect more pipes that they already know the condition of?

Like I said "There will be a lot of talk about getting to the bottom of this, but in the end it will be just that, 'Talk'. Once all the finger pointing is done and all the scapegoats are blamed, and the lawsuits are paid, and the elections are over it will be back to business as usual and we'll just have to wait for the next big KABOOM!"

It may not be PG and E or in Calf. but it will happen again.

I'm willing to bet initial reports of inspections of their pipes show them to be in good condition. Why? Because they'll start with all the pipes they know are in good condition and wait for this whole thing to blow over.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X