X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Boiler Brands

I am looking for a good residential high efficiency boiler to switch to. I have used Triangle in the past but they have jacked the price up on me too much. Has anyone tried the Munchkin Contender? I am doing a baseboard job and considered a cast iron with an outdoor reset but it comes out close to the price of a mod/con when you add the valves. Any other ideas?

Re: Residential Boiler Brands

the condenters are great little units 129K btu

Comment

How about water furnace ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It looks like they are heat pumps not boilers. I am not sure of the equipment cost, but I doubt I could be competative with GFA.

Comment

You might look into the Peerless Purefire it is priced right and has a simple design and layout. I like the parts and labor warranty out of the box, along with the option for another 5 or 10. HTP has changed quite a bit since the early munchkin days but I still am not comfortable with the products. Burn me once but not twice. The Triangle is probably my favorite of the boilers in its size its unfortunate that the pricing is starting to creep up.

Water furnace would work on slab heat with water temps limited below 120 or so. Regardless of what someone may claim as output temps heat pumps can not heat water loops above 120 or so without causing stress to the compressor.
          Last edited by eluv8; 09-16-2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I also like the Peerless Purefire but no local distributors stock it so I can't push it.
            The Weil McLain Ultra is pretty sweet but priced up there with the Triangle Tube.
            Slant Fin has a nice condensing boiler, Bobcat and Lynx

Comment

We are a Columbia Boiler dealer, as their plant is not far from my home at all.

My father has been installing their boilers for close to 40 years now, and they are the only manufacture that will deliver, and place the boiler in the basement for us. If I'm correct, they are the only manufacture that will let the contractor deal with them directly. Utica makes their cast iron Boilers, but Columbia makes their own steel boilers. Their steel boilers I would put up against anyone on the market, but as far as Cast Iron boilers go..I like a few other manufactures as well.

Since I live in Pa, Peerless - Burnham (which also makes New Yorker) - Columbia & Crown are all made in my state, and within an hours drive of me, so there are options.

Of course I can get Buderus and Weil McClain as well.

Comment

I also like the Peerless Purefire but no local distributors stock it so I can't push it.
                The Weil McLain Ultra is pretty sweet but priced up there with the Triangle Tube.
                Slant Fin has a nice condensing boiler, Bobcat and Lynx

Peerless isn't around here either. I will check into the Slantfin.

Comment

Originally posted by eluv8 View Post
                  You might look into the Peerless Purefire it is priced right and has a simple design and layout. I like the parts and labor warranty out of the box, along with the option for another 5 or 10. HTP has changed quite a bit since the early munchkin days but I still am not comfortable with the products. Burn me once but not twice. The Triangle is probably my favorite of the boilers in its size its unfortunate that the pricing is starting to creep up.

Water furnace would work on slab heat with water temps limited below 120 or so. Regardless of what someone may claim as output temps heat pumps can not heat water loops above 120 or so without causing stress to the compressor.
                  what issues do you have with htp?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapper
                    i like the slantfin bobcat boilers....fair priced easy to service and install very quiet....

i have had nothing but problems with munchkin....

lochinvar knights are also good boilers....
                    Are they pretty user friendly? Do they come with an outdoor reset and all the bells and whistels the premium brands come with?

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                      Are they pretty user friendly? Do they come with an outdoor reset and all the bells and whistels the premium brands come with?
                      Slantfin
                      They don't come any easier.
                      Fully programmable control module
                      Yes to the outdoor reset control.
                      Built-in domestic hot water circ. relay.
                      Well laid out. Easy to service and install.
                      Direct or Non-direct venting
                      Decent warranty (5 year parts and labor)
                      Made in USA

A couple of shortcomings....
                      only 93% efficient, most-high end models are in the upper mid-90's
                      Enameled steel shell reverberates noise more than I like to hear.
                      You have to add your own condensate neutralizing device.
                      No accessory plug outlet for condensate pump
                      Aluminum heat exchanger (non-cast)

Comment

Working...
                      X