X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back outlet toilet

O/K,so the homeowner is adamant that wants a back outlet W/C.He's seen them in Europe so "I know it will work here".

This was after I started figuring for a standard underground app.

He has framed and drywalled a powder bath addition where there is no plumbing.He has figured on pulling the water off the laundry on the other side of the wall.

The proposed waste line will run approx.12'-14' horizontal through the laundry behind the washer and dryer then drop 12 inches into a cleanout.I haven't gotten to the vent part with him yet,had to get on the road.

He says they are used alot in basements(internet).In 26 years I havent seen anything out here or posted on this forum other than complete joke of a
    handyman hack jobs sitting on these makeshift platforms.

Are there any viable scenarios that can be applied to this very well decorated home in an upper class neghborhood.

Or is it just a waste of time trying to spend $1.00 to save a dime and end up with something out of a mobile home nightmare.

Maybe I lack vision

Re: Back outlet toilet

Are you talking about a "blowout" type commercial closet with a carrier except in residential? I found one awhile back but can't for the life of me remember who made it. I want to say Gerber for some reason. It was a tank type also. I'll try to find it. No experience with it on my end though.

Might put it in my next house.

J.C.

Comment

I have four floor mounted rear outlet Eljer water closets in the shed. There is a couple subdivsions I know that where properly plumbed to use these beasts.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        I have four floor mounted rear outlet Eljer water closets in the shed. There is a couple subdivsions I know that where properly plumbed to use these beasts.
        Eljer!

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I've installed quite a few Gerber rear outlet toilets.

If you're installing the drain line from scratch, you have to be dead on with the flange.

The other thing is...pushing the toilet on the flange with the wax ring can be a challenge.

I personally don't like them, but ran into situations in where there was nothing else I could do, or it was a replacement.

Comment

Here is a link to a few choices for floor mounted models. AS you will see they are not cheap. Crane makes one too...or at least they did. They work fine,you will not have any problem.

http://secureshopping.mcafee.com/sho...-outlet-toilet

Comment

15 years of new construction and enough toilets to last a lifetime. only 1 commercial high rise we used rear outlets. this was a precast/ spancrete job and less core holes the better. they were speced out.

here's an issue. if they ever change the floor finish height, there is no such thing as a double wax ring. the height if i remember correctly is = or - 1/4''

also very few choices and since it still sits on the floor, there is no advantage as you still have to mop around the base.

all you can do adam is try to reason with them and get it all in writing as far as the finish floor height and floor finish material.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Bolt a flange to the toilet and slide it against the wall,mark its position on the wall by tracing the outlet of the flange. Cut your hole. Run yo pipe.. The finsihed floor must be layed first. I dont think you will have any trouble.

If you want a wall hanging model I dont know if they are still made......been 15 yrs since i've replaced one. I did service one a couple weeks ago. American standard model......1950's vintage shiot. I will try to find a pic of it.

Found it.

Here is a link to a good waxseal for the toilets at hand.
                http://www.pexsupply.com/Hercules-90...ets-14551000-p
                Last edited by TheMaster; 09-21-2010, 12:16 AM. Reason: Add pic.

Comment

Dang it,I hate when I do this.Start a thread and leave out key info.

Yeah,I've set carriers for wall hungs,Rick even saw my last one in the penthouse.

When I mentioned it is when the homeowner really started esplaining how he has been looking at FLOORMOUNTS
                  sorry

After an hour on the net I've learned a bit.
                  It's "rear discharge" not back outlet.
                  Duravit seams to make alot of people happy.
                  people put in a few kohlers years back,said they had problems with flush.Wonder if kohler fixed that.
                  American standard are a pain.

Can't find Duravit's flange height.

Most important....Thank-you guys for the insane response time

Adam

Comment

I've replaced three of them up here, the last one was just a couple of weeks ago, they're not too bad. I've also come across several wall hung toilets up here, more than I ever expected, they are worse than the floor mounted ones. You can do it Adam
                    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Dang it,I hate when I do this.Start a thread and leave out key info.

Yeah,I've set carriers for wall hungs,Rick even saw my last one in the penthouse.

When I mentioned it is when the homeowner really started esplaining how he has been looking at FLOORMOUNTS
                      sorry

After an hour on the net I've learned a bit.
                      It's "rear discharge" not back outlet.
                      Duravit seams to make alot of people happy.
                      people put in a few kohlers years back,said they had problems with flush.Wonder if kohler fixed that.
                      American standard are a pain.

Can't find Duravit's flange height.

Most important....Thank-you guys for the insane response time

Adam
                      Floor set rear outlet water closet. Yep. I've put a bunch of those in. Sewer rat told you right. Eljer, except I think they quit making them in the last year or so.

Kohler and Am Stan still make them. The RO is about 4" AFF. If I remember correctly the Kohler model wanted 4-1/4" AFF to center of flange. If memory serves the last one I put in was an Am Stan.

You use a regular flange that just happens to be mounted on the wall. Make sure you use a wax impregnated felt ring and not a wax ring with a little felt inside it. You'll be glad in a year or so when you don't have a leak you're responsible for.

$$$ not a cheap toilet.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Duravit. Knuckleheads have to make it hard for the people that really need information.

Pretty sure you'll need this carrier. Of course, I can't get the file to open on my end.

http://www.duravit.us/duravit/html/d...&nodeId=104850

And here's a quick visual if interested.

http://www.duravit.us/products/wall-...seo7edjet.html

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks J..
                          Even the floor mount needs a carrier

Comment

Good question. I poked around on their site and haven't come across a Duravit floor mount/back outlet....yet.

I'm with Rick on this subject though, Floor mounting with a rear outlet doesn't make any sense to me plumbingwise and gains the owner zero advantage over a standard toilet.

I'll be in the minority on this but I kind of think all toilets should be wall mount/rear outlet with air space under them. No floor connection.

Think about it. Gain a percentage of sanitation and easy to replace the floor.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Thanks J..
                              Even the floor mount needs a carrier
                              I've never seen a floor mount toilet that needed a carrier.

Comment

Working...
                              X