Old copper gas lines underground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old copper gas lines underground

Just found out a few towns over, they're digging them up.replacing with plastic. Are they in Your city also ??
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Old copper gas lines underground

I've ran into them.
    Got called out by the General,he sawcut into it.
    Manifolded in wall like Potable.
    With Solder

Gave them a price for overhead steel.
    Didn't get it.

Comment

found them when it's time to sell and they need to install a seismic shut off valve.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I work wita fair amount of copper 2lb gas systems. Underground I use either copper or polyethylene plastic gas pipe. The copper gets brazed joints or flare and the polyethylene uses a stainless steel compresson type fitting with a rubber seal.....just tightens on.

In the eearly 90's a customer purchased some decorative gaslights and called me to install them. I opened the box's and they had 1/4" compression fittings on the lights inlet connection. I commented.."I cant install these..they are not built to code....who sold you this?" (I use to be gung-ho code) The lady says..."From the gas company" I said well get them on the phone for me and I will set them straight on this...it should be a flare fitting" About 30 minutes later the guy from the gas company shows up at the house and basically told me to stfu and install the lights...because they are outside and 10' up on a pole. i stfu and installed the lights. The gas company here inspects and assumes all responsibility so I did what the man wanted.......he did break down and tell my customer I was technically correct but the connections are safe. Eventually the lights they sold had flare fittings and not compression.

Comment

We have copper gas lines in our neighborhood, most houses were built in 1969. Don't know of any problems. I dug around one last year when I was replacing my orangeburg gutter drain pipes, the copper looked like new.

Comment

talked to ARB in S.F. today. They're changing out the copper to
            plastic. They were having lunch. I told them "My house stinks of GAS!"We had a laugh, after. Boss [ 42 years in the trade] said the old copper [70 years old] flakes off from the inside! They won't for get the Irishman!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

HEY THEY'RE NOT SCRAPPING OUT OLD THE COPPER !!!!!

How would You get it out ?? Truck winch ??

Comment

Working...
              X