X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Backs

There is nothing that shakes me up more than a call back. I pride myself on doing a quality job and doing it right the first time. When I get a call from a customer saying that something is leaking that I just worked on, I take it pretty hard.

The trouble is, the majority of the time I get a call back, upon inspection the problem is disrelated to the actual work that I have performed or is due to a manufacturing defect.

Case in point - this past week I recieved 2 call backs from the same customer over a replacement shower valve that I installed. First call back was to inform me the wall was wet behind the new shower valve. Naturally, this call came in the late evening, so I got to stew over it the whole night before getting out to inspect. I ended up finding there to be a pinhole leak in the existing hot water pipe inside the wall about 2 feet below where I was working. I could hear it pissing away before even opening the wall to look.

When I presented this discovery to the customer, they still had it in their mind that they had been wronged and tried to argue that it must have been my fault given that the problem arose after I worked on the plumbing. Us plumbers know that the mere action of turning the main water off to perform work and back on again, puts added stress on the piping systems from the de-pressurizing and re-pressurizing forces. The weakest link can show pretty quick.

I took the time to explain the situation and he ended up paying a steeply discounted rate to have the problem repaired. I just wanted him to be happy without having to falsely take the wrap.

A few days later, I get another call from this customer saying that his drywall repair guy found the valve was leaking inside the wall and couldn't perform the repair. Again, this came in the evening and I got to stress over it all night. I rushed out in the morning only to find everything was bone dry - even after much testing.

I guess I should have felt relieved, but the problem is that from the time I get a call back to the time of inspecting, I am upset with myself and this is probably not appropriate. Even if a customer jumps to a conclusion, why should I - espcially towards myself? Even if I have erred in some way, stressing out over it doesn't help.

Hopefully these incidents will keep to a minimum as they are the only days where I question my profession and I feel for my fellow plumbers who have had to suffer this pain and the frustration of non-understanding customers. Try to remember not to beat yourself to death.

Re: Call Backs

I....HATE....CALLBACKS!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I....HATE....CALLBACKS!

J.C.
      I'm with you brother!!!

Comment

I also dislike call backs. I pride myself with doing a quality job the first time. We all know they happen since we are human. We just have to live and learn from them.
        Last edited by Plumbducky; 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          We just have to lie and learn from them.
          Sounds Plumducky to me!
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I had a callback yesterday for a new Kohler kitchen faucet with a drip.

It did have a drip. Ceramic. Took it apart, found nothing. Put it back together, drip.

Took it apart again, put it back together. No drip.

On my dime. Just keep on rolling.....

J.C.

Comment

Every good Plumber has call backs because of leaks...if someone says they don't, they are full of crap!

We all hate call backs, but it's those of us who "stand behind" our work, that separates us from the pack.

Comment

I fixed my spelling, glad there are no spelling police on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Every good Plumber has call backs because of leaks...if someone says they don't, they are full of crap!

We all hate call backs, but it's those of us who "stand behind" our work, that separates us from the pack.
                  I always stand behind my work, except for a couple times on a commercial inspection where I stood in front of my work after realizing I forgot some minor point but not wanting to have the inspector get the whiff of blood.

Comment

i found that the most frustrating thing is on a toilet repair with a bad ballcock that just keeps on filling. replace the ballcock and typically the flapper too. i always use my blue pills to test the water.

nothing like the customer calling to say the toilet is flushing itself. actually the fluidmaster will refill when the level drops 3/4'' in the tank. of course the old ballcock never shut so it never phantom flushes.

remember the blue pill is your friend

just don't leave it in your pocket if the wife does the laundry first time was an accident and second time i do my own laundry

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

hey rick what little blue pills you talking about. i use food coloring thanks

Comment

Originally posted by plumr View Post
                        hey rick what little blue pills you talking about. i use food coloring thanks
                        I use vallium it helps to calm me down when call backs arrive.

Tony

Comment

fluidmaster gives out packaged blue dye pills. real concentrated. if i crush it in the paper before i dump it in, then it instantly dissolves and colors the toilet tank. within 5 minutes you know if the tank holds water.

i tried food coloring and i always ended up with colored fingers while removing the little snap on cap.

what little blue pill did you think i meant

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                            There is nothing that shakes me up more than a call back. I pride myself on doing a quality job and doing it right the first time. When I get a call from a customer saying that something is leaking that I just worked on, I take it pretty hard.

The trouble is, the majority of the time I get a call back, upon inspection the problem is disrelated to the actual work that I have performed or is due to a manufacturing defect.

Case in point - this past week I recieved 2 call backs from the same customer over a replacement shower valve that I installed. First call back was to inform me the wall was wet behind the new shower valve. Naturally, this call came in the late evening, so I got to stew over it the whole night before getting out to inspect. I ended up finding there to be a pinhole leak in the existing hot water pipe inside the wall about 2 feet below where I was working. I could hear it pissing away before even opening the wall to look.

When I presented this discovery to the customer, they still had it in their mind that they had been wronged and tried to argue that it must have been my fault given that the problem arose after I worked on the plumbing. Us plumbers know that the mere action of turning the main water off to perform work and back on again, puts added stress on the piping systems from the de-pressurizing and re-pressurizing forces. The weakest link can show pretty quick.

I took the time to explain the situation and he ended up paying a steeply discounted rate to have the problem repaired. I just wanted him to be happy without having to falsely take the wrap.

A few days later, I get another call from this customer saying that his drywall repair guy found the valve was leaking inside the wall and couldn't perform the repair. Again, this came in the evening and I got to stress over it all night. I rushed out in the morning only to find everything was bone dry - even after much testing.

I guess I should have felt relieved, but the problem is that from the time I get a call back to the time of inspecting, I am upset with myself and this is probably not appropriate. Even if a customer jumps to a conclusion, why should I - espcially towards myself? Even if I have erred in some way, stressing out over it doesn't help.

Hopefully these incidents will keep to a minimum as they are the only days where I question my profession and I feel for my fellow plumbers who have had to suffer this pain and the frustration of non-understanding customers. Try to remember not to beat yourself to death.
                            Well, I would tell you how I feel when I get a call back, but I won't............because you said it perfectly. I thought I was the only one that beat myself up on call backs. And I'll bet too, 75% of them was not my fault, but I will usually just eat it, if it's minor, simply cuz I am so relieved to not only get it taken care of, but also, no damage occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapper
                              last call back i got was.....after i installed a new 50 gallon heater the homeowner called me said there was water all over the floor...

so i said shut the ball valve off and ill be by in the AM....this was in a basement and the heater and furnace were located within 6' of each other....and ofcourse there was a floor drain but the floor was pitched the other way.....damn tract homes

i get there and come to find out the A coil condensate trap was plugged and water was commin from the A coil down the furnace....

cut and clean out trap charged a service call and went on my way....
                              Just gotta hope that wasn't the leak, which caused you to replace the water heater .

Comment

Working...
                              X