X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briggs Toilet

You know that old story about the Baker that never brings his own bread home. Well I am that guy......

As some of you know I deal primarily in industrial/ commercial appliations, primarily water treatment, waster water reclaim... large piping etc..... so dealing with toilet issues in my house is the last thing on my to-do list.

The tract of homes that I live in was built in the late 80's early 90's and every house when it was built had Briggs toilets installed. (Sorry I did not pull the number from the tank)

All the houses that have a first floor bathroom have issues with these toilets flowing very, very slow. You literaly have to hold the handle down and wait for every single drop of water to leave the tank and even then I would say that only 10% or less of the flushes go down in the Briggs that I have seen.

When the toilets are replaced the flush seems to be fine. The only thing I can think of why they seem to work better on the 2nd floors is gravity pull, possibly larger venting, etc... Anyways its really weird.

Has anyone ever heard of this with Briggs toilets?

Re: Briggs Toilet

low flow toilets started out here in 1990. thefirst generation toilets sucked. actually they didn't suck

check the date on the china and if it's a 1.6 from the early 90's, replace it. problem is the new toilets are 1.28gpf.

what happens if you hold the handle down for a full flush

where in so cal are you?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

What Rick said! LOL

For me it's a huge selling point. When I lift that lid and it's early 90's they get a new toilet, most of the time. You're right, they don't suck, um do suck, um suck.

Comment

There are several reason why your toilet may not be flushing well.

1. Low water level in the tank.
        2. Flapper closing too early
        3. Obstruction from the tank to the bowl(had is one yesterday chlorine tablet washed under the flapper and lodged into the flushvalve) Rim jets (small holes under the toilet bowls rim) blocked. Has this toilet ever had those BLUE gel tabs in it?
        4. A wax seal with a horn was used or even maybe two or three...people go nutty somtimes. The horn can distort/shift and not let the toilet flush proper.
        5. You have a partially clogged drain or a damaged drain line.
        6. Septic system failing.
        7. The toilets are just POS and never did flush proper.
        8. Dental floss or cuetips being flushed
        9. Some one piece toilets require a full 3/8" id water supply to flush proper......doesn't apply in your case .

Have you tried to flush the toilets with a bucket of water by dumping it into the bowl? If it will flush well with a bucket you ahve a water delivery problem from the tank to the bowl.....if it will not flush well with a bucket you have a toilet or drain line/ possible septic problem.
        Last edited by TheMaster; 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM. Reason: Because I cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          There are several reason why your toilet may not be flushing well.

1. Low water level in the tank.
          2. Flapper closing too early
          3. Obstruction from the tank to the bowl(had is one yesterday chlorine tablet washed under the flapper and lodged into the flushvalve) Rim jets (small holes under the toilet bowls rim) blocked. Has this toilet ever had those BLUE gel tabs in it?
          4. A wax seal with a horn was used or even maybe two or three...people go nutty somtimes. The horn can distort/shift and not let the toilet flush proper.
          5. You have a partially clogged drain or a damaged drain line.
          6. Septic system failing.
          7. The toilets are just POS and never did flush proper.
          8. Dental floss or cuetips being flushed
          9. Some one piece toilets require a full 3/8" id water supply to flush proper......doesn't apply in your case .

Have you tried to flush the toilets with a bucket of water by dumping it into the bowl? If it will flush well with a bucket you ahve a water delivery problem from the tank to the bowl.....if it will not flush well with a bucket you have a toilet or drain line/ possible septic problem.
          Is this the turd? You forgot
          10. This Briggs is junk.
          Anyone had luck making them flush right?
          Attached Files

Comment

that's a briggs vacuity. was a real good flusher second to a pressure flush.

used a fluidmaster dual flush valve assembly like a push you pull me.

still have a few customers with them.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
              Is this the turd? You forgot
              10. This Briggs is junk.
              Anyone had luck making them flush right?
              Jay,

I have a customer with a couple of those in South Minneapolis. I think it's a VERY clever design using the water dropping in the tank to create a vacuum on the trap to help start the water moving toward over the weir of the trap!

When everything is working properly they have a nice slam! The first time I saw the plastic water holding contraption I tossed it aside, and you know that toilet wouldn't flush worth a darn.

Next time you see one, try this, quickly pull the plastic contraption up a few inches. The bowl will darn near flush without any water leaving the tank. This is from the vacuum created by the plastic contraption.

Though the tank can be a pain to work on.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

YA Jay is right when you remove the plastic piece the toilet will not flush right. Has anyone else had problems hand augering this toilet?

Comment

Working...
                X