Is New Really Better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is New Really Better

I have lived in the same house for 26 year .
    My wife kicked me out of her bathroom once the kids went to collage and i shower in my sons old bath room that got up to 4 showers a day in its hay-day..Its a old harcraft that will knock you down its great
    Since i have been in the house i only changed the washer once maybe 20 years ago

Why did faucet companies change

Re: Is New Really Better

Profit/money/greed.

Comment

Fast cheap and easy would be the operative words that have been slowly nailing the coffin shut on the plumbing trade for the past 60 years or so.
      sigpic

Comment

del. where you say that the old harcraft will "knock you down". are you talking about lots water and pressure? if so, well blame all those people out west, particularly cal. mostly a desert. way to many people, not enough water. it was much better when the more affluent could water their golf courses and the lessers had water bills that are higher than their mortgages. the govt should not be in the water business. let the free enterprise system handle it. water conservation is communism. communism i say. live free. breid............

Comment

breid we only have 45 psi but that faucet will put out all the water you want out of a lrg speakman shower head you cant even run it full blast
          If you do the toilet paper will unroll with all the out flow of air going over the shower door

Its really the almost no maintenance that impresses me

Comment

In many cases, companies realized they either needed or just were greedy enough to want turnover.

For example, there's pretty much no other "improvement" that can be made to various handheld corded/cordless drills. Other than batteries, they all should work fine for their purpose for 30 years with zero repairs. That includes the damm trigger.

Why do you find an old B&D drill from 1970 at a yard sale, hasn't had anything done to it, looks beat to he!!, and works fine?

All of these VooDoo internal improvements and ads promoting "new" ergonomics are just somebody trying to sell me lies in my opinion.

Tank water heaters fail quicker. Disagree?

Twenty year old HVAC equipment that will be replaced by "new super high efficient non-ozone killing gas equipped" products that will be replaced in 10 to 12 years. And probably multiple control boards along the way.

But cars & trucks last longer, cost less to operate, and are more efficient, right?

B.S. I don't think anyone really knows. Multiple sensors that have to be replaced $$$. Preventative maintenance that was NEVER done on vehicles of the past.What's the total impact on the environment to have the plants that make those various sensors vs. keeping simple injection or even.....a carburetor? Yes mpg has improved. But not as much as some would like to believe. A well tuned 4 cyl. carbureted vehicle will get closer than you might think to a comparable 4 cyl. with 50 sensors that all require replacing and/or more preventative maintenance.

And people travel much longer distances fooling everyone on how many more miles new vehicles supposedly go. I don't like government messing in the private sector much. But I do think that one thing that should be mandated on all new vehicles sold is hour meters. That's a truer way to tell the wear on a vehicle.

Dezincafication in plumbing materials. There is nothing wrong with these plumbing fittings and pipe systems when the manufacturers don't try to cheat the contractor and customer. But when they start pumping zinc in and pulling copper out of their formula, you get all kinds of stories about this, that or the other being awful.

It's just the manufacturer making junk. Someone posted on here about the stop valves they were installing doing exactly this very prematurely. We can go 'round and 'round about water chemistry. I'll just say that I've worked in older houses with all types of water chemistry and the $@!#@! valve stem on the stops didn't break. Even when putting the channel locks on the handle and cranking hard on it. Yes the internal seals may have been in such bad shape that it would not shut off. But the valve itself shows ZERO dezincafication. I'm talking about homes that are 30, 40, 50 years old.

And even RIDGID stopped making what PlumberRick calls "The Good Stuff". Went from making the highest quality drum cable to making only "good enough" to get by cable. He even gave them a sample in case they forgot what their customers wanted!

On and on and on.....I'm learning from the big boys though. 22 Gauge p-traps, flexible connectors with rubber seals & swivels, American Standard "Yellow Submarine" toilet valves, Enviro-Temp Water Heaters, etc.

Here I Come!!!

J.C.

Comment

WELL......you can blame the manufacturers....but go try to sell something..lets say a basket strainer........solid brass, made in US, heavy chrome........for $45. The number of consumers willing to buy that is very low. Kohler makes it, and they don't sell that many. The mass market won't buy it. So we as consumers have created our own twilight zone.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                WELL......you can blame the manufacturers....but go try to sell something..lets say a basket strainer........solid brass, made in US, heavy chrome........for $45. The number of consumers willing to buy that is very low. Kohler makes it, and they don't sell that many. The mass market won't buy it. So we as consumers have created our own twilight zone.
                Agreed to a point. I've sold both. But as you state, both are available with a "known" in the quality.

Where's the choice between the "professional" RIDGID cable and the "budget" cable?

My point is that many manufacturers build their reputation and brand on the best quality then try to sneak in lower quality. And often times holding the original quality price to drive the margins.

J.C.

Comment

lovetheUSA

Unfortunately, the last time I installed a K-880X basket strainer it had "made in China" etched on it

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                    Why are we offering our customers anything other than quality?
                    Who is setting our prices, us or the customer or worse yet, the competition?
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X