X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 and piping

I'm sitting here without my codebook handy and looking for opinions and facts.

I'm in a situation where we are asked to run a supply line from a CO2 storage tank to a beverage dispensing station in a college dining hall. Those of us in the field are trying to get the office to use the poly braided hose with SS fitting like the pop guys normally do. Our office wants to use copper. Pop lines are not in our normal line of work. I seem to recall something in UPC about CO2 and copper, but am without my codebook currently.
    I might also add the the current line from the storage tank to the remote fill station is in copper already.

Any input?

Re: CO2 and piping

Copper can be used for the CO2 piping from the tank to the carbonator. PRE-MIX ONLY.

There should be no copper after the backflow device on the water supply

Don't use copper on the caarbonated product, it will cause the water to become VERY aggressive, leaching copper into the water.

People will get extremely sick.

The braided tubing the soda dude uses is awfully easy though....

Comment

If we get stuck using copper, what is the preferred method for joints? I'd assume brazing would be preferred?

Comment

Originally posted by TMc View Post
        If we get stuck using copper, what is the preferred method for joints? I'd assume brazing would be preferred?

i would use a flare joint. Brazing, it would need to be purged.

Comment

Flare would be an easier alternative........... I haven't used a flaring tool in years........

Comment

Just use a sharkbite:

LOL (ducking and running)
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Hey TMc, why not invest in a Ridgid flaring tool. Trust me you cant go wrong. Over here we still use silver soldered joints in Cu tube as well as lots of flared fittings. Cant seem to get my rep to come out and show me through the Pro-Press that Plumber Rick is all over. But seriously, I have now had two of the model 375 flaring blocks which have a big wing-nut screw on top. Another fantastic Ridgid tool for the Professionals in the trade

Comment

Most of the CO2 lines I have seen in restaurants have been just polyflow tubing to the carbonator than the proprietary Pepsi, or Coke bundle up to the bar or fill station.

Comment

Well, we have managed to contact the CO2 supplier for this establishment today. The info we recieved is absolutely no copper downstream of the storage tank. Upstream of the tank is ok for now, but is getting to be frowned upon.

Looks like we get to do reinforced poly tubing.

Now to get 300 ft of it through the building..........

Comment

Hello,
                    Sorry for butting in on this thread but I have a related issue where I'm getting water/ condensate in one of my 1/4" CO2 pipe-lines from my bulk tank to my incubator system. We've tried to blow dry the line but it only seems to last for a few days and then the issue recurrs. We are holiding pressure so we don't believe we have a break in the pipe but short of doing a chasedown on the pipeline we are scratching our heads. Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?
                    Thank you.
                    Ryan

Comment

Pex would be fine also
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rguerriero45 View Post
                        Hello,
                        Sorry for butting in on this thread but I have a related issue where I'm getting water/ condensate in one of my 1/4" CO2 pipe-lines from my bulk tank to my incubator system. We've tried to blow dry the line but it only seems to last for a few days and then the issue recurrs. We are holiding pressure so we don't believe we have a break in the pipe but short of doing a chasedown on the pipeline we are scratching our heads. Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?
                        Thank you.
                        Ryan
                        Sounds like an interesting situation Ryan.

I'm not particularly familiar with a CO2 "system. So I'll share some assumptions.

1. The C02 comes in highly compressed bottles from a supplier?
                        2. The CO2 travels from the tank through one or more pressure regulating valve(s) on its way to the "carbonator"?
                        3. "Blow drying the line" means you're using your CO2 source to blow the line clear of any liquid that has accumulated in the line.
                        4. You've already stated the line holds pressure so doesn't leak.

Assuming that what you're "blowing" is actually water then the water is coming from somewhere. Even if it's condensed water in the line that water should not be in the line as a vapor to be able to be condensed to begin with. After all it's a CO2 line.

Assuming the backflow preventer is functioning the water can't be returning from the dispensing system. The water would also have to overcome the higher pressure of the CO2 system. So that doesn't seem a likely source.

Is it possible that the CO2 gas cylinder from the supplier is contaminated with or contains some H2O from the plant? (I admit this seems like an unlikely / remote possibility but is at least a plausible cause.) When the gas is expanding while going through the pressure regulators ice may develop, then melt and become water in the line. Is there some sort of dryer you can install?

It will be interesting to learn what the result is. I hope you will share the answer when you find the root cause.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                        X