X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old house intercepter

Started doing service on 100 year old house and couldn't figure out why all the floor drains in basement were slow. Did some exploring and found a plugged up intercepter, cleaned it up and the drains work better but the guts of
    intercepter are gone and inlet and outlet are in the bottom about 6 inches apart flush with bottom. Has anyone ever seen or rebuilt one of these?

Re: old house intercepter

Originally posted by walleyejim View Post
    Started doing service on 100 year old house and couldn't figure out why all the floor drains in basement were slow. Did some exploring and found a plugged up intercepter, cleaned it up and the drains work better but the guts of
    intercepter are gone and inlet and outlet are in the bottom about 6 inches apart flush with bottom. Has anyone ever seen or rebuilt one of these?
    I am not sure what your coad states but houses are not required to have cetch basens any more in IL we usualy just eleminate them and fill them in but I have seen some comp. out there still fixing them I woulnt though just me
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I've only seen it once here. 4" inlet to a 6" outlet. Guts gone.

Roots had grown into the 6" right at the outlet. Pulled them all out by hand and down she went.
      Ran the whole main expecting to find a ton more, but nothing.

Didn't rebuild or anything. This was at least 2-3yrs ago and all is still fine.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Only once I've seen it in a home anyway.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Why would a home need an interceptor?

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
            Back in the day, some states/cities required them. People used to cook with a lot more reckless abandon back then.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
              all houses in chicago and surounding towns were required to have them back in the day meny moons ago
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Chicago still requires to install them in homes that are 3+ family units.

The main reason they where required back in the day was to keep grease, and harsh detergents out of the sewer system. See back in the day lots of the laundry detergents where made as a powder and had Lye in it, so they made the detergents in a powder to have the ability to clump up in the catch basin to keep the lye out of the sewer systems.

At least that is what I been told by some real real old timers.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                X