X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternatives to basin wrench?

Taking a week off on vacation to complete some overdue tasks one of which is to replace a old Gerber faucet. Been fighting one remaining basin securing nut thickness of which keeps slipping off my basic wrenches. This is even after soaking all the securing nuts with both Kroil and PB Blaster the night before. Taking a break right now trying to get crap out of my eye hence this post for ideas. Any tips, tricks, or methods to loosen this remaining undersink nut thickness of what appears to be twice the size of two carriage bolt washers?...don't want to pull the sink unless I have to! Yes, I even have tried using the extendable rigid basin wrench but this time the head is way too big to get a "bite" on this problematic nut...ideas anyone?

Re: alternatives to basin wrench?

deep well socket of the correct size,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD for the deep socket idea. Was contemplating purchase of a "Basin Buddy" but am hesitant because it uses 1/4 inch socket extension leading me to think it's flimsy in design. In the interim both kroil and pb blaster were of no help simply because whoever installed this original Gerber faucet used what I believe is plumber's putty which has had 35 or more years to cure/dry tight.

I have a partial set of deep sockets but as luck would have it the problem Gerber locknet appears to be over a inch in size......per chance anyone know if basin locknuts come as a standard size?
      Last edited by swong; 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Safety glasses

did i say SAFETY GLASSES. cut off tool. a dremel on steroids. i use a roto-zip. breid.................

Comment

Cut the faucet off from the top, had to do that many times. I've never once had to remove a sink to remove a faucet in 23 years. I just get mad and win in the end!

Comment

Success...Rigid basin wrench comes through!

In the interest of info sharing I thought I would inform the forum I was able to break the faucet locknets free using the Rigid square shaft adjustable basin wrench . In my frustration attempting to loosen the two locknuts alternating between useage of the 3 basin wrenches I had I never ever wondered why Rigid designed their basin wrench with a square shaft. I naturally assumed the design was solely to accomodate making the wrench adjustable and comfortable in length. After giving up in disgust, I posted on both this and the draincable.com forum website soliciting ideas and suggestions. Respondees on both forums suggested deep walled sockets but I was unable to determine if the offending locknuts were metric or standard hence my reluctance blindly purchase one set over the other. Long story short one of the responses at draincable.com suggested I use a basin wrench with a sqaure shaft and put a adjustable wrench on the square shaft for leverage. My last resort would be to pull the sink and work on it comfortable but I was avoiding this unless absolutely necessary

12-inch adjustable wrench positioned on a comfortably lengthened Rigid basin wrench, body leaning on the adjustable crescent and voila! BTW, ceramic disc cartridges are so much nicer and reliable than washer type faucets.

Follow-up 10/2/2010: Gerber faucet locknuts in my case were 1-1/8 inch ... verified using my neighbors 1/2 inch impact socket set. Second matching American Standard Hampton bathroom faucet completed this morning using 1-1/8 inch impact socket with a Sears 1/2 inch ratchet...broke both 25+ year old locknuts easily. Wife very, very happy especially with the porcelin cross handles on these bathroom faucets .... now have peace in the house and can go back to sleep
            Last edited by swong; 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

4" grinder with a whizz wheel

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                Cut the faucet off from the top, had to do that many times. I've never once had to remove a sink to remove a faucet in 23 years. I just get mad and win in the end!

Comment

done the crescent wrench thing before with good results on a 4'' center set. the widespreads need a top back up wrench.

i actually have a nut splitter that screws onto the 1/2'' shank and splits the nuts. also a set of crows-foot wrenches for a tight fit. then again the die grinder or the extended holesaw to drill out the lock nuts.

80% come out with the basing wrench. 20% come out with my other tools.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    done the crescent wrench thing before with good results on a 4'' center set. the widespreads need a top back up wrench.

i actually have a nut splitter that screws onto the 1/2'' shank and splits the nuts. also a set of crows-foot wrenches for a tight fit. then again the die grinder or the extended holesaw to drill out the lock nuts.

80% come out with the [B]basing [/B ]wrench. 20% come out with my other tools.

rick.
                    It's a "basin" wrench. Joeys out right now so I'M taking over.

J.C.

Comment

Nothing metal stops us welders. My grinders will cut it all !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        It's a "basin" wrench. Joeys out right now so I'M taking over.

J.C.
                        thats some funny sh!znit there JC
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                        X