Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Testing Ideas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Testing Ideas?

    I have 1- 3" and 1- 4" double Mechanical's. 5 gal bucket full of sausages. Ilile filling with a Jim cap and hose. EZ later to let the river out . And I'm a mere CARPENTER !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Testing Ideas?

      testing isn't enforced in our area either, except for one municipality. That same municipality also will not allow cellular core pipe, it has to be schedule 40.

      When I lived in North Carolina, Everything had to be tested. I rather liked it.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Testing Ideas?

        Originally posted by Jim_W View Post
        Cherne makes a test ball attached to a c.o. plug with a schrader valve in the plug,screw it in the test tee,inflate it to test,deflate it ,unscrew it and put in your permanent plug.They work great.
        That's the Clean Seal and it's worth ever penny you won't spill a drop[/QUOTE]
        Just make sure you adhere to the psi spec's,I seenem blown up.

        I don't understand why there is such a rush for inspection that J wouldn't have time to go to another/better supply house,or even order a clean seal like he wants.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Testing Ideas?

          Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          I have 1- 3" and 1- 4" double Mechanical's. 5 gal bucket full of sausages. Ilile filling with a Jim cap and hose. EZ later to let the river out . And I'm a mere CARPENTER !

          Tool...P-Rick...
          Tell me again how well these mechanicals work in a clean-out tee.I have never even considered using mine for it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Testing Ideas?

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I have to test a remodel with the drop & test tee in the finished space. I've been awesome at times with the ball pull. Other times I've had the "ball drop lock" and it look like I'm in the bottom of the ship after a torpedo strike.

            Ideas to prevent this? Test Monday morning & the supply houses don't have a Clean Seal.

            Thanks.


            J.C.
            Maybe your supply house carries these?
            http://www.cherneind.com/Pneumatic/Clean_Seal/

            I have a set and they work quite well at keeping me dry.
            Time flies like an arrow.

            Fruit flies like a banana.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Testing Ideas?

              I don't know how these threads get so long winded.

              J.C.
              All you need is one of those inflatable t-plugs.Can't think of the name right now.They're yellow and black.You screw them in.And then pump them them up...I think

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Testing Ideas?

                Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I have to test a remodel with the drop & test tee in the finished space. I've been awesome at times with the ball pull. Other times I've had the "ball drop lock" and it look like I'm in the bottom of the ship after a torpedo strike.

                Ideas to prevent this? Test Monday morning & the supply houses don't have a Clean Seal.

                Thanks.


                J.C.
                First post folks. ^

                Thanks for the ideas and discussions though. Think I'll drill the cleanout cap and hose through it like Adam describes for the experience.

                I like the looks of the tester IPS has I linked earlier. Some of my Cherne's have gotten scarred & cut easily. Or the valve leaks with no reason.

                Here's another type of test Tee if anyone's interested. Saw it at a plumbing show.

                http://www.siouxchief.com/Testing/Pl...s/InFlow.V2DSM

                Thanks.

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Testing Ideas?

                  Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                  You guys with your drain tests. I have never been required to preform 1. I don'tthink a house in Michigan ever has. I can't think of the last time I fixed a leak on DWV that a test would have found. Do you guys find any leaks with them?
                  Yes. I've found leaks on my own work (hacky? ) where I did all the joints the same. Sometimes no rhyme, reason, or logic to it. I've seen leaks on PVC with Primer, Heavy Glue, square joints, fully seated. (Inspected closely by me after it was cut out) Drip, drip, drip.

                  One of the reasons I make a real effort not to plumb fitting to fitting.

                  Anyway, testing is an aggravation but one of the most important parts of the installation whether it be DWV, water, gas....whatever.


                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Testing Ideas?

                    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Yes. I've found leaks on my own work (hacky? ) where I did all the joints the same. Sometimes no rhyme, reason, or logic to it. I've seen leaks on PVC with Primer, Heavy Glue, square joints, fully seated. (Inspected closely by me after it was cut out) Drip, drip, drip.

                    One of the reasons I make a real effort not to plumb fitting to fitting.

                    Anyway, testing is an aggravation but one of the most important parts of the installation whether it be DWV, water, gas....whatever.


                    J.C.
                    I guess we would never know about leaks unless our DWV backed up. As for nails and stuff, any I fix would have happened on the finish. Even though I test all potable water I have never had an inspector want to see the test. I guess they figure if it leaks we will fix it. gas company wants to see the gauge with 10 psi or something like that.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Testing Ideas?

                      I always do a five pound air test. In the cases where I did have a leak, I slowly fill with water, and I can quickly find the leak. I've had a cracked fitting, but mainly the leaks are those "mystery" dribblers, from bad glue? Bad primer? Who knows.

                      The other trick I've used to repair a minor leak on pvc is to hook up a shop vac at the test location and create a negative on the system. Then, re-prime the OUTSIDE of the fitting/pipe connection at the leak, and re-glue. Sucks it right in. And +1 for the "no fitting-to-fitting" previous post.

                      (Not only is a static air or water test required here on the rough plumbing, it's also required for the finish plumbing. You have to raise the water level in a trap by one inch. That can also be a toughie! I've argued with "the local authority" that the test itself is potentially compromising the wax seal at the toilet, but you know how THAT discussion ends!)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Testing Ideas?

                        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Tool...P-Rick...
                        Tell me again how well these mechanicals work in a clean-out tee.I have never even considered using mine for it.
                        I only have the double mechanical plugs in 4",I've never tried it but I suppose you could shove the first ball up into the stack and get enough bend out of the large spring between the 2 balls to get the second ball to seal at the C.O. threads,just never tried it.Seems best idea so far was a hole in the C.O. plug and a regular test ball.
                        EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Testing Ideas?

                          Worked fine. You will get some water 'cause you have to drill the hole slightly larger than the hose. Even for the smallest end. That's the reason for the tape.

                          Thanks everybody.

                          J.C.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Testing Ideas?

                            J.C.

                            Good idea with the CO plug. No chain would scare me a bit. Glad it worked out ok

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Testing Ideas?

                              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

                              5# air test sounds good until you try to find a needle in a haystack


                              rick.
                              An air test leak can sometimes be found by using Methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil). A couple cotton balls in the system will carry the smell and you can walk around the piping and find the smell. If your sense of smell has not been degraded from years of smelling glue.

                              Clean-Seal Plugs also work well. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
                              Last edited by Rambo; 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Testing Ideas?

                                Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                I don't know how these threads get so long winded.

                                J.C.
                                All you need is one of those inflatable t-plugs.Can't think of the name right now.They're yellow and black.You screw them in.And then pump them them up...I think

                                weenies You weenie
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X