Testing Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Ideas?

I have to test a remodel with the drop & test tee in the finished space. I've been awesome at times with the ball pull. Other times I've had the "ball drop lock" and it look like I'm in the bottom of the ship after a torpedo strike.

Ideas to prevent this? Test Monday morning & the supply houses don't have a Clean Seal.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Testing Ideas?

double test plug. no one gets wet and it doesn't fall in.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      double test plug. no one gets wet and it doesn't fall in.

rick.
      Thanks. Educate me a little more please.

J.C.

Comment

I can usually push most of one of these up into the test tee, and just pull fast.

http://www.cherneind.com/Pneumatic/L...MS2_Test_Ball/

Alternatively

http://www.gtwaterproducts.com/safe.php

I've seen these in a couple of my local supply houses, they lock in so they can't push into the bottom of the tee. It Looks like you could yank it out of the way pretty quick.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

here is a typical double test plug. the upper rubber seals the wye and the lower one seals the run.

upon removal, you loosen the lower ball, releasing the water test. once drained, you loosen the upper plug and pull it out.

http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mech...ugs/doublemech

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            here is a typical double test plug. the upper rubber seals the wye and the lower one seals the run.

upon removal, you loosen the lower ball, releasing the water test. once drained, you loosen the upper plug and pull it out.

http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mech...ugs/doublemech

rick.
            Couldn't get your link to work Rick. But I did find this at IPS's site. Can't get it by Monday though....

http://www.ipscorp.com/testtite/mech...s/mechcleanout

(Link works now. )

J.C.

Comment

use a regular test balloon.Drill a hole in a raised head plug just big enough to pull a balloon's extension hose through.

after test pull hose through plug,screw plug into tee couple turns,slowly deflate plug.

Love?
              No love?

What?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                use a regular test balloon.Drill a hole in a raised head plug just big enough to pull a balloon's extension hose through.

after test pull hose through plug,screw plug into tee couple turns,slowly deflate plug.

Love?
                No love?

What?
                What I came up with today also. Never done it so I didn't know. More confident with your experienced opinion.

Seriously.

Thanks.

Now where did I put that extension hose.....?

J.C.

Comment

You guys with your drain tests. I have never been required to preform 1. I don'tthink a house in Michigan ever has. I can't think of the last time I fixed a leak on DWV that a test would have found. Do you guys find any leaks with them?

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    You guys with your drain tests. I have never been required to preform 1. I don'tthink a house in Michigan ever has. I can't think of the last time I fixed a leak on DWV that a test would have found. Do you guys find any leaks with them?
                    Classic...
                    Yes,especially with unsupervised installers who do not know what they are doing.

Comment

with plastic /abs installations it was mainly nail holes that would show up. also threaded cleanout plugs and tapped tees required a certain amount of tolerance.

of course with no hub, it's cracked pipe/fittings and sand holes. and of course the loose and over tighten bands.

we typically tested up to 3 stories plastic and 4 with no hub, at a time and the head pressure at the first floor was pushing 15- 20# and in the subterranean garage was 20-25# on the no hub. biggest issue were the end of line c/o's and change of directions.

5# air test sounds good until you try to find a needle in a haystack

the simple repairs was just a running test, but i'm talking an exposed system that's been up and running.

on testing days, bring your rain coat, something always blows

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Classic...
                        Yes,especially with unsupervised installers who do not know what they are doing.
                        Not required is wrong. Not enforced is what i mean.

Comment

I have approximately eight 4" double mechanical test plugs as shown in Plumber Rick's link if anyone is in need.
                          I also have three 32 gallon garbage cans full of inflatable test plugs from 2" to 8".
                          I don't have very much need for as many test plugs as I have in inventory.

Comment

Love?
                            No love?

What?
                            Sorry just noticed that you said you couldn't get one of these in time.

Cherne makes a test ball attached to a c.o. plug with a schrader valve in the plug,screw it in the test tee,inflate it to test,deflate it ,unscrew it and put in your permanent plug.They work great.
                            Last edited by flat350; 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM. Reason: reread original post
                            EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Cherne makes a test ball attached to a c.o. plug with a schrader valve in the plug,screw it in the test tee,inflate it to test,deflate it ,unscrew it and put in your permanent plug.They work great.[/QUOTE]

That's the Clean Seal and it's worth ever penny you won't spill a drop

Comment

Working...
                              X