X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole House Filtration.

I am researching for a whole house unit.
    Previously I could care less when I saw one leaning up against the side of the house slashed in with a couple washing machine hoses.I'd just smirk and move on.

Now I have a customer(THANKS ROOKIE PLUMBER/STEVE)
    That wants a unit,maybe multiple.Not a service co. one.

2bth,clothes wash,laundry tray,kit
    and mstr shwr with
    -4 body sprays
    -2 shower heads
    -1 hand held

Any units you guys have prefered.How long have the filters lasted before starting choking down the volume.
    Could it be better to install 2 medium volume units than to install the largest unit that still won't match pipe size/calculated volume.

I refuse to advise on the best of my findings being something that chokes down my design simply because "that's the only single unit that can come close".I know someones not going to be happy whe I tell them the need two.

The new restaraunt that just went up in our town has 10(monthly serviced) units lined up on their back wall.

In a few day I'm going to inform the homeowner of my findings.I'll be talking to a few sales guys an installer and most importantly my friends here.

Thanks
    Adam

Re: Whole House Filtration.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I am researching for a whole house unit.
    Previously I could care less when I saw one leaning up against the side of the house slashed in with a couple washing machine hoses.I'd just smirk and move on.

Now I have a customer(THANKS ROOKIE PLUMBER/STEVE)
    That wants a unit,maybe multiple.Not a service co. one.

2bth,clothes wash,laundry tray,kit
    and mstr shwr with
    -4 body sprays
    -2 shower heads
    -1 hand held

Any units you guys have prefered.How long have the filters lasted before starting choking down the volume.
    Could it be better to install 2 medium volume units than to install the largest unit that still won't match pipe size/calculated volume.

I refuse to advise on the best of my findings being something that chokes down my design simply because "that's the only single unit that can come close".I know someones not going to be happy whe I tell them the need two.

The new restaraunt that just went up in our town has 10(monthly serviced) units lined up on their back wall.

In a few day I'm going to inform the homeowner of my findings.I'll be talking to a few sales guys an installer and most importantly my friends here.

Thanks
    Adam
    This wreaks of "$ervice Contract$" to me. You just talking about an inline filter with housing?

Or a water treatment system?

J.C.

Comment

I am with what is it you are looking for? If a filtration system the best bet is to take a test sample to your dealer for a test. I use Lancaster filtration systems. The price point is good and I am happy with their maintenance free systems.

http://www.lancasterpump.com/

For just regular particulate filtration I use Cuno

http://www.cuno.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        This wreaks of "$ervice Contract$" to me. You just talking about an inline filter with housing?

J.C.
        So far as I can tell the customer's salesman was talking about a Blah-Blah Carbon something.

So that leads me to thinking filter.

Comment

J.C.
          Caution:Thread Fade,please do not continue.
          By the way Rayne is sponsoring a local guys whole house R/O unit that takes the 4 gallons it takes to make one and pumps it into the irrigation system.It also reintroduces minerals removed during the process so it can be used with a copper system.

Comment

EWWWW Carbon filter MTBE's?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              So far as I can tell the customer's salesman was talking about a Blah-Blah Carbon something.

So that leads me to thinking filter.
              WaterSurgeon is in CaliWood somewhere. Near? He'd be good to confer with. I'm no expert. I'll give an opinion & information though.

As Wrench says, unless they just want an inline filter popped in without much research, then a test should be done.

Why? Because you need to know what is in the water to know what you want to take out & leave behind. And what may work efficiently for one thing won't work well at all for something else.

Well water, inline CARBON filter will clog quickly. Especially block carbon. Granulated carbon will last some longer & give more surface area to grab/clean/work on things. Good for removing Chlorine on municipal if that's what's wanted.

There are several sediment or general type filters of various Microns that can be used on well water that people trial and error with to get some performance and efficiency.

When in doubt on service frequency, go bigger filter, housing, inlet and outlet.

J.C.

Comment

I come up with a max of 39 GPM.
                I know everything will not be on at once.

But...

Comment

Well or Municipal?

J.C.

Comment

What are we filtering out?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      What are we filtering out?
                      You know what Rich.This is city water.Fairly decent as far as not having too many undesirables in it.Zero tankless lime-up calls.

He's talking about his wife wanting soft water on the one hand and on the other telling me the salesman is going to hook us up with some super carbon something or other.

All I know is I had the water system ready to wrap up on thursday and now I'm chasing water filter fairies

I'll tell you what though as I look into products like your Lancasters and such I'm starting to feel a little more confident that they are not merely a whim thing that a homeowner may burn out on after a year or so.

Do you know anything about the filter change out frequency on these things.

Comment

What.... no love?

J.C.

Comment

What.... no love?

J.C.
                          I'm sorry J.I thought I responded accordingly.
                          Where'd you go.

Gimme your phone number and I'll appologize personally

Comment

Dang it.
                            Hey JC.Just went back to see what you were talkin' about.
                            I missed your awesome post cause I hit last post on this thread when I logged on.

You ain't putting me on no B list now are you?

Feel better?

Comment

I kid, I kid. Sorry. Playing guitar and on the phone.

Always good.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X