Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whole House Filtration.

when's the tankless heater going in ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      when's the tankless heater going in ?
      Rookie Plumber/My buddy Steve already gave him the lowdown on tankless years ago from the way the homeowner talks.

Although I did crank up the house system(N/C) to provide a couple hundred thousand btu's at the water heating location should technology ever sway him.

Comment

Great

Yeah the powers that be got about as far as this thread.

The best the salesman could give us was 16gpm.
        What a joke.

Screwed up my whole schedule.Pissed of my customers I had scheduled for this week ahead cause I lost two days waiting for the appearance of the

Mystical,Magical,Cheap,All Encompasing,Filter Unicorn.

Are they even code.How can you choke a 39gpm product through 16gpm orifice and still consider the system UPC worthy.

Comment

There are filtering systems that can probably meet the 39gpm you describe but it would probably get into some larger commercial voodoo system that would require a separate mechanical room & you to live there in a little closet to maintain.

Seriously though, who is "there guy"? I've used Lancaster in the past also and I think they could probably work something up for you. Or there is probably someone similar closer to you.

J.C.

Comment

Just an example of GPM that can be done pretty easily. BUT...it depends on what they need or want to do also.

http://www.waterfilters.net/Bag-Filt...g-Systems.html

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              There are filtering systems that can probably meet the 39gpm you describe but it would probably get into some larger commercial voodoo system that would require a separate mechanical room & you to live there in a little closet to maintain.

Seriously though, who is "there guy"? I've used Lancaster in the past also and I think they could probably work something up for you. Or there is probably someone similar closer to you.

J.C.
              Thanks JC,
              This thing came together as a rushed afterthought.Which in all reality is a wakeup call wrapped inside of a wonderfull blessing tortilla.I need to firmly edumacate myself on these and other voodoo "latest/greatest" systems cause anyone with the kind of money it takes to build their own home is going to have alot of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Just an example of GPM that can be done pretty easily. BUT...it depends on what they need or want to do also.

http://www.waterfilters.net/Bag-Filt...g-Systems.html

J.C.
                Thanks again,Your link to filters helps me see it can be done.
                The salesperson was also putting into the package a conditioner that softened the water.Did I misunderstand him or was he being slippery in saying that the unit could go seven years without service.I can possibly see him trying to say that from a minimally used filter,but a conditioner as well.Don't they need a regular period company service?

I think I need to develope a rapport with a qualified filter/conditioner distributor.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Thanks again,Your link to filters helps me see it can be done.
                  The salesperson was also putting into the package a conditioner that softened the water.Did I misunderstand him or was he being slippery in saying that the unit could go seven years without service.I can possibly see him trying to say that from a minimally used filter,but a conditioner as well.Don't they need a regular period company service?

I think I need to develope a rapport with a qualified filter/conditioner distributor.
                  I have lots to learn myself. I find for my area, however, that the "water experts" don't seem to know that much more than alot of plumbers. Some know much, much, less. Here the more known companies seem to be geared towards sales, servicing, and/or leasing equipment.

They can keep some people broke forever leasing equipment. But they make some coin on the installs as well. I ask customers when I'm there replacing a water heater or whatever about their Culligan, Rainsoft, etc. system.

Very common for it to be a $3K plus install. Very common. It is usually about $1k or less of equipment and maybe 4 hours of work. Typical of what I see. Then they push for a service contract. $$$.

I can't say it's wrong in any way 'cause it's none of my business what they charge. A customer can have it done by a plumber that's just as knowledgeable for less. At least here.

So don't sell yourself short because you haven't been doing it for years.

Service. Depends.

Depends on what they have in the water, the settings on the system, the turnover. Not uncommon for a water softener to only need a once a year service. Sometimes not even that. Just add salt.

I know that I have been to SEVERAL water softeners that were being "serviced" where they weren't doing anything but adding salt and writing an invoice.

They weren't removing the head and rebedding. Some of the customers told me they watched them.

Do some reading and asking. You can do as good a job as other treatment companies.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X