P.g.$ e smart meters gas $ elec.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.g.$ e smart meters gas $ elec.

Saw Meter reader today at our home. Nice young Man. Said We'll miss Him. We got our notice,2 meters coming. Started in banking, ATM'S . Guy will lose His job ! Sucks .
    Yea,I know P G $ E says different, I don't trust them
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: P.g.$ e smart meters gas $ elec.

Ya, we got our Smart meter installed too. Sure the guy doesnt read the electric meter anymore but he still comes to read the water meter. (electric and water is read by the same guy here).

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
      Ya, we got our Smart meter installed too. Sure the guy doesnt read the electric meter anymore but he still comes to read the water meter. (electric and water is read by the same guy here).
      Water is separate here
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The goal of all utilities is to remove the meter reader. They will ALL be gone one day soon.

J.C.

Comment

Does the wireless water meter exist today? I mean it's easy enough to build but are they available? I've never seen them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
            Does the wireless water meter exist today? I mean it's easy enough to build but are they available? I've never seen them.
            Yes. Here they have "drive by's" they can shoot a reader at it to get the info. Won't be long though and I look for them to centralize it all and just send it to a building with computers. All automatic.

I've read here that parts of California have solar powered water meters that already do this. No meter reader at all. Only a matter of time.

J.C.

Comment

What if I throw a piece of steel over the meter box ... LOL

I Conserve so much water they changed mine ...

Shower at the Y or Gf's / Eat out / Wash hands in Toilet tank / One flush daily / Refill Toilet with water from Dehumidifier !

Comment

NYC gas and water meters already wired!

New York City has all their gas and water meters on "wireless" from which you can status your useage real time. My water was converted 3 weeks ago with a wireless transmitter automatically updated 4 times per day. We've had two rate increases last year for our water useage, the funds of which paid for this new McDonnell Douglas technology. Good and bad....you can access your water hourly and see useage via the NYC web site however we will now be billed monthly versus quarterly. NYC is hurting for money hence would like $$$ coming in quickly hence the monthly bills...they are even offering a 2% discount if you setup a automatic payment to your checking account.

For the homeowners who refused install of a water meter they can elect to go "flat rate"....I was on "flat rate" but was being raped hence I installed a water meter. Best move since my quarterly water bill was averaging $100/quarter.....recent quarterly bills now average $120/quarter which I guess was due to the two increases since my water useage has NOT increased at all since it's just me and wife at home.

These new wireless transmitters are roughly the size of a deck of playing cards with two internal AA sized batteries guaranteed to last 10 years or more. Prior to this retrofit the city paid Con Edison meter readers $62 annually to manually read water useage as they simultaneously read their own electric meters. Contract between city and ConEdison came up for renewal but balked on pricing hence conversion to wireless. Spoke with contractor who installed my transmitter and he told me strategically placed within city can access all transmitters within a 7 mile range each site administered by McDonnell Douglas (the same people who design passenger aircraft).

Comment

DC Water has had wireless for nearly 10 years. Even longer for Washington Gas.

I've seen people wrap them in aluminum foil and sheet lead because they are afraid 'Big Brother' is recording their every conversation. Some remote transmitters are inside basements because customers didn't want their yards dug up to have water meters moved outside.

They have preset parameters built in. If your water usage goes over or under a certain amount you get a visit from a real 'live' meter reader. You can also monitor your usage online.
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I've seen people wrap them in aluminum foil and sheet lead because they are afraid 'Big Brother' is recording their every conversation.
                    Same here,but oddly enough he stopped when I lost my crack pipe.

Comment

I have to go and read my own electrical meter my self ever month,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

my shop is wireless power and water.

my house is still read by the water and power co/ same person every 2 months.

beverly hills water is online radio transmitter and updates 4 an hour. but they are still working out the bugs as i've written about before.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Same here,but oddly enough he stopped when I lost my crack pipe.
                          So...Why are you still wearing the aluminum foil hat???
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

We are about to get them around here, and get this, it's part of the stimulus package thats suppose to create jobs. And it will create 80 SHORT TERM jobs (installers)......BUT

..it's going to ELIMINATE 300 meter reader jobs and thats just the face of it, once you factor in all the 300 trucks they will no longer need to buy and maintain, etc..the number grows.

This in Yesterdays News Paper:
                            Maine's public health director has been asked to look into concerns raised by residents that the "smart" electricity meters being installed by Central Maine Power Co. are a potential health hazard.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/p...010-10-01.html

I went to a nearby town the other day in the van and noticed all but 2 radio stations where coming in like crap. Went yesterday in the car and same thing??
                            Not sure whats causing it all of a sudden but I'm wondering if the smart meters might have something to do with it? I doubt it, but I'm goin' to the hardware store and gettin' me some lead flashing and aluminum foil!!!
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

WELL IT'S TIME ! I have an 18 yd. dump Cat Diesel , tons of Iron plate ,pipe, Welding machines. MAD MAX 2 IS COMING SOON. Cow catcher bumper , steel plate with view slits,
                              2 100 gal. propane tanks plumbed to separate ignite r ports [ groin level ] ALLUM hat !
                              OH USMC STICKERS Real world, I'm installing new cabinets in wifeys closet." YES DEAR,I'll shut the computer down in 5 "
                              Last edited by toolaholic; 10-03-2010, 10:33 AM. Reason: BUSTED

Comment

Working...
                              X