X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For All You None-Frost Area Folks- Trench pics

Here is a 75 foot trench that is almost 6 feet deep. The city requires 5 foot minimum for water lines (even though I know it's overkill). I put in a 1" K copper tube. Big difference from the way you guys do it in sunny California. How deep is minimum code where you live?

(yup, that's a broken 4" plastic sewer line that was supposed to be 8 feet deep...the excavator found it at 5&1/2 ft)
    Attached Files

Re: For All You None-Frost Area Folks- Trench pics

Another pic I forgot to add.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey where is the trench box? Here in NY Orange County is 42" and Ulster county is 48".
      WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
      ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

When you do a job for yourself no one forces you to use a trench box, but you're right...safety first!

Comment

Probably have been in a couple of thousand ditches like that,but with a box or cut back.Still run a lot of services at 6' and the sewer has to be 18" above or 10' horizontal separation from the service.Just did one for a concession stand at a H.S. stadium in Chicago,1 1/2 type K for 55' off a 6" main(we did the tap) and the only thing in the stand was a hand sink,but that's what the specs called for.
          EVERYBODY HAS LEAKS ,JUST DON'T HAVE YOUR"S ON MY JOB !

Comment

Originally posted by flat350 View Post
            Probably have been in a couple of thousand ditches like that,but with a box or cut back.Still run a lot of services at 6' and the sewer has to be 18" above or 10' horizontal separation from the service.Just did one for a concession stand at a H.S. stadium in Chicago,1 1/2 type K for 55' off a 6" main(we did the tap) and the only thing in the stand was a hand sink,but that's what the specs called for.

Flat350 I hope you did not install your sewers 18" above the water service. The Illinois and Chicago code state the water service is to be 18" above the sewer an solid shelf. And the sewer must be of building drain material. Below is from the Code Book

TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
            CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
            SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
            PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
            SECTION 890.1150 WATER SERVICE PIPE INSTALLATION

Section 890.1150 Water Service Pipe Installation
            a) Underground Water Service.

Water service pipe shall be installed outside the foundation wall in accordance with either subsection (a)(1) or (2) of this Section and shall comply with the requirements of both subsections (a)(3) and (4) of this Section.
            1) Water service and building drain or building sewer may be installed in separate trenches with a minimum of 10 feet horizontal separation. Such installation shall use material listed in Appendix A, Table A (Approved Materials for Building Sewer and Approved Materials for Water Service Pipe), provided that such material is specific for this type of installation. (See Appendix I: Illustration E.)

2) The water service and the building drain or building sewer may be installed in the same trench provided that the water service is placed on a solid shelf a minimum of 18 inches above the building drain or building sewer. For such installation, the building sewer shall be of material listed in Appendix A: Table A (Approved Building Drainage/Vent Pipe) for a building drain. (See Appendix I: Illustration F for the proper installation of water service, building drain and building sewer.)
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by flat350 View Post
              probably have been in a couple of thousand ditches like that,but with a box or cut back.still run a lot of services at 6' and the sewer has to be 18" above or 10' horizontal separation from the service.just did one for a concession stand at a h.s. Stadium in chicago,1 1/2 type k for 55' off a 6" main(we did the tap) and the only thing in the stand was a hand sink,but that's what the specs called for.
              oops ! 18" above water ??
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

SewerRatz,
                What do they mean by a "solid shelf"?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                  SewerRatz,
                  What do they mean by a "solid shelf"?

Thanks,
                  Undisturbed dirt shelf that is solid. For example if you dig a trench for a sewer that is 8 feet deep you would make a step at 5 feet to set the water line on.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Above,below goes to show I should'nt be thinking about work on a Sunday.Yes it should be below,but I can't even remember the last time that I ran a sewer in the same ditch as the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                      Here is a 75 foot trench that is almost 6 feet deep. The city requires 5 foot minimum for water lines (even though I know it's overkill). I put in a 1" K copper tube. Big difference from the way you guys do it in sunny California. How deep is minimum code where you live?

(yup, that's a broken 4" plastic sewer line that was supposed to be 8 feet deep...the excavator found it at 5&1/2 ft)
                      42" here

Comment

7 feet deep here in Minnnysooota.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

WHOA 7 feet !!!! That I would use a trench box FOR SURE!

Comment

18" Here.

J.C.

Comment

I've been in sewer ditches that were over 12' deep,new const. on the deep side of town,used a box in the bottom and the top cut back at 1 1/2 to 1 and a big track hoe to move things around.

Comment

Working...
                              X