X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I hate to do this but...

Hell, these days all you need is a pex cutter and a pair of water pump pliers.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Hell, these days all you need is a pex cutter and a pair of water pump pliers.
      A can of primer and PVC glue comes in handy too.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My parents survived the depression on their own!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          My parents survived the depression on their own!
          Tool: You are also surviving a depression. We are in a "Shumpterian" depression and will be for at least the next decade. (Little or no GDP growth while deleveraging of debt is occurring. Since the population is still increasing the GDP per capita decreases, so the overall standard of living declines.)
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

check the pawn shops, ebay, craigslist, garage sales, kijiji, Johnslist.

If you have been in the trade 16 years. you should have a nice stock of personal hand tools. If you have to it is ok to buy a cheap piece of Harbor freight crap. Just plan on replacing it very quickly.

I think you need work right now. More than you need tools.
            You can have all the tools in the world. But if you have no work what is the point

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Tool: You are also surviving a depression. We are in a "Shumpterian" depression and will be for at least the next decade. (Little or no GDP growth while deleveraging of debt is occurring. Since the population is still increasing the GDP per capita decreases, so the overall standard of living declines.)
              Hey They claim the " recession " ended in 2009.

I think they just for got to tale us

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                Thank you for your advice.

The more I consider things, the more I agree with everyone. There may not be as much use for certain tools as I think there is. Going out and spending $1000s of dollars won't necessarily mean I'm going to make more money.

To address some of your concerns....yes I do have SOME tools but more expensive equipment I never got around to purchasing because I figured I'd get my dad's hand-me-downs but he's still working with no signs of retiring.

And no, I'm not trying to scam people out of money. My story is the truth. I am an honest person but just tried to take one little shortcut with this fundraiser crap.

Thanks for everyone who was kind enough to believe me and not talk down, etc. and i hope to make some new friends on this board.

As a side note....I'm missing my Ridgid 18V impact driver. It was only 4 months old and last I remember I used it at a small job at my cousin's house and i THINK someone else who was working there might have snatched it up
                Home depo is always selling there rodders and hiltis and othere tools check in every time you go you will never know what to find I got 1 50" &1 75' eel 5/8" rod reg $1200 each paid under $300 with blades cable and everything
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

other then that I will always do what I can to help with questions
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                    other then that i will always do what i can to help with questions
                    i need a new truck !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[other then that i will always do what i can to help with questions]

i need a new truck !

Tool, I didn't see a question. G'wan give it another go.

(Speaking of tool... My Propress 330B and snap attachment arrived yesterday. Hopefully my illness will have vacated the premises by Monday so I can use them!)

Comment

monday is a federal holiday. wait till tuesday. the propress needs a day off after traveling cross country

rented mine out yesterday with the 3'' xlc jaw.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          monday is a federal holiday. wait till tuesday. the propress needs a day off after traveling cross country

rented mine out yesterday with the 3'' xlc jaw.

rick.
                          I'm surprised you're still in the plumbing biz. You likely have far more potential just starting a chain of rental stores with what's already in your shop.

Just curious what do you charge to rent the Propress and an XL-C jaw? Here a wholesale house charges $40 each per day.

Comment

the pp with the 3'' xlc jaw and actuator is $100 for the day, plus all the free advise. remember i don't sell the fittings so there is no profit in that.

i only rent to plumbers i can trust.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              the pp with the 3'' xlc jaw and actuator is $100 for the day, plus all the free advise. remember i don't sell the fittings so there is no profit in that.

i only rent to plumbers i can trust.

rick.
                              My father used to tell me never lend out a tool, you will not get it back in a timely manner and you as well forget who you borrowed it to. Then the guy you did lend it to will have it so long he will think he bought it somewhere. So my father rented tools as well. He would write on an invoice who has the tool, how much per day, and have them sign it.

But of course not to long ago he did not practice what he preached. There was two guys that would subcontract for us that did not have a main line sewer machine. And both these guys some how convinced my father that they where trust worthy enough to lend a machine to each of them.

First guy after a month he would tell us he is to busy to run a call for us, we even said all he had to do is set up a time at his convenience but nope he would not. So my dad asked for the machine back. That guy disappears on us.

The other guy my dad known for a while, he ran calls for us on a regular basis. One odd thing happened with him that we never seen with any other plumbers though. We give him a call, and an hour later the home owner would call and cancel saying the line opened itself, or they got it going. This would happen on about a third of the jobs we gave him. So my dad was always cautious about giving him certain jobs. Then this guy goes to jail for driving on a revoked (he normally had a helper driving him). His girlfriend would not let us get the rodder off his truck. Now that he is out of jail, he claims his ex-girlfriend sold his truck and tools.

Moral of this post, never ever lend out your tools.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i need a new truck !
                                http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
                                send the money and I will buy it for you to like I said I will always do what I can to help with a question
                                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                                X