X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate to do this but...

Basically I was just licensed about 6 months ago and need some help raising the money to purchase tools/equipment.

For more info or to donate:
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: I hate to do this but...

I smells me a TROLL!!!!

Comment

" my dearest friend, i have just inherited five hundred million dollars ! "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
        Basically I was just licensed about 6 months ago and need some help raising the money to purchase tools/equipment.

"I have been working as a plumber with my father since age 10. I am proud to now say that 16 years later, I have my own contractor's license and my own plumbing company. Trouble is that most equipment (sewer snakes, jetters, cameras, locators, leak detectors, etc) are very costly. However, tools like these could help me earn the money I need to get myself out of debt and build my company (Ideal Plumbing) to a larger and more successful business than the one man show it is now".
        are you serious did you know that in order to even qualify for the contractors test you need $2000. of working capital. you've been working for your father for 16 years and 16 years later you're looking for handouts.

why not stick with the work you're equipped to do and save up for the equipment you'd like to get. why not go to the bank and get a business line of credit. the rates are the lowest in our lifetime.

wish you luck, but i think you're starting off on the wrong leg.

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM. Reason: removed link.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          are you serious did you know that in order to even qualify for the contractors test you need $2000. of working capital. you've been working for your father for 16 years and 16 years later you're looking for handouts.

why not stick with the work you're equipped to do and save up for the equipment you'd like to get. why not go to the bank and get a business line of credit. the rates are the lowest in our lifetime.

wish you luck, but i think you're starting off on the wrong leg.

rick.
          Rick may I suggest removing his link from your quoted post.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

While this thread seems a little weird I believe it is legit so keep it respectful. I checked the CSLB and there is a new contractor with the same business name and location who received his license 6-months ago.

As for the $2,000 operating capital, there is a big difference between operating capital and purchasing $10,000 of equipment.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Plumber Rick should give him 1 of every thing

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                Plumber Rick should give him 1 of every thing
                But that would only leave him with 5 of everything.

To the OP. I think you'll find that many of us started with nothing, worked, saved, and bought that one quality wrench.

Then did it again. And in not too long awhile, had a tool box full. Then it continues to build from there as your needs change and you change.

You can do it. And you'll appreciate it all more. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

buying good used is not a SIN,

check out Ebay, Craig's list, pawn shops, rental stores,
                  (Pre Internet, it was very difficult to find things used (in our area), unless you were at an auction),

also consider renting, on some items, maybe talk to the rental manager and see what kind of discount you could possibly get if your a steady customer.

maybe a relative would be willing to cosign or even give you a personal loan, on a few items,

(DO not know the relation ship between you and your father, but does he have any older equipment you could rent or buy or borrow)?

there are many who would like to expand there tools or there business, but like said have to do it one step at a time.

(one more thing about tools "there is always one more you want or need."

some times one has to start out with out all the bells and whistles, but get some things that work for them and then build on that,

but I do suggest to buy quality tools not cheap junk, not that many years ago, I thought I would add to my pipe wrench collection, and was looking at harbor freight, and order there pipe wrench set, looked nice, but I soon put them away and began buying RIDGID wrenchs off of Ebay to fill out the missing wrenches I wanted, only one was slightly questionable in the use category, of the Ridgid wrenches, i bought, and even it was 10 better than the best of the Chinese harbor freight wrenches, yes I spend a little more on the Ridgid wrenches used, than the new Chinese tools but, the money wasted was on the cheap stuff,
                  harbor freight has some good things and are OK for that occasional low volume use, but the plumbing stuff they sell is not for professional use,
                  Last edited by BHD; 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Now I am thinking of starting a fundraiser to get me a house Now that is a good cause I thinks.

JCsPlumbing hit the nail on the head. You do some work, go out and buy a tool, do more work and get more tools. My father started off with an old beat to heck pickup, half dozen bushel baskets, a rail, square jaw and catch basin spoon, and a 125' flat tape hand rod.

Let me suggest not to go balls out and buy tons of tools thinking you will have the work for them all. I see more guys lose larger equipment (back hoes, jetters)with this type of thinking. Its better to make sure you have the work for the larger equipment, and when it seems you have it rented or borrowed more often than not, then buy it.
                    Last edited by SewerRatz; 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

OP, You gotta want it and you gotta earn it...

Starting and running a business is a daily challenge but it is the most rewarding experience (next to children of course)...

A first post looking for a handout will not get you to your goal.

Stick around here ask lots of advice make lots of friends... The west coast guys from this forum (in your area) are a tight bunch and are some of the best in the business.

Good Luck in your business and I wish you nothing but the best and if I can answer any questions that may help feel free to ask or PM.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        OP, You gotta want it and you gotta earn it...

Starting and running a business is a daily challenge but it is the most rewarding experience (next to children of course)...

A first post looking for a handout will not get you to your goal.

Stick around here ask lots of advice make lots of friends... The west coast guys from this forum (in your area) are a tight bunch and are some of the best in the business.

Good Luck in your business and I wish you nothing but the best and if I can answer any questions that may help feel free to ask or PM.

Bill
                        I have to agree there if there is one thing I do like about this forum is all the great group of freinds you meet here and that help when you need it if you have a question not to mention thats how I ran into ron {seweratz} and met him at a supply house and I am glad we talked I have worked for 13 years for what I have and when I look back at it I still good luck & god bless
                        Last edited by post plumber; 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM.
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

You've been working for 16 years and you don't have a reasonable pile of tools yet? What are you waiting for? Being willing to invest in tools means you're willing to invest in your future. Perhaps increasing your income and efficiency.

I'm sure you realize getting started as a plumber you don't really need all that much truly expensive equipment. Sawzall, right angle drill, some blades, drill bits, and hand tools. Pawn shops. Craigslist. I've bought lots of used stuff, and have pretty much never regretted it.

If you work hard, deal with your customers fairly and honestly, you should be successful.

Good luck!
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I saw this thread last night, and didn't want to touch it, but I know what was said before it was edited.

While I agree you should set your sights high, but IMHO getting a jetter and camera right now, is not the course of action I would take if I was just starting out in business.

I would concentrate more on the hand and power tools you will need. I'm sure in California you can rent a camera or jetter if need be, which would be much cheaper for you at this point.

I wish you nothing but the best though.

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

The more I consider things, the more I agree with everyone. There may not be as much use for certain tools as I think there is. Going out and spending $1000s of dollars won't necessarily mean I'm going to make more money.

To address some of your concerns....yes I do have SOME tools but more expensive equipment I never got around to purchasing because I figured I'd get my dad's hand-me-downs but he's still working with no signs of retiring.

And no, I'm not trying to scam people out of money. My story is the truth. I am an honest person but just tried to take one little shortcut with this fundraiser crap.

Thanks for everyone who was kind enough to believe me and not talk down, etc. and i hope to make some new friends on this board.

As a side note....I'm missing my Ridgid 18V impact driver. It was only 4 months old and last I remember I used it at a small job at my cousin's house and i THINK someone else who was working there might have snatched it up
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X