X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pumps and priming

I have a cousin who wants to replace the pump for his waterfall feature in his backyard. He is tired of submersible pumps that don't last so we are considering going with a centrifugal inline pump. Here's the question... If I wanted to use an inexpensive harbor freight style pump (with no prime pot), how would I keep this pump primed if it is above the "pond' level. I am thinking a swing check at the inlet pipe would keep the pump primed - what do you think? Would this work?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Question about pumps and priming

a few issues. most harbor freight pumps are junk. 1 exception is the cast iron transfer pump that's great for draining water heaters. but it's not rated for continuous duty and is loud.

depending on the head and flow requirements, i would go with a grundos circulator and install it below the water level.

a spring loaded check or foot valve would be the only check that would hold a seal. but when it gets dirty and leaks, you burn up your pump

that's why you don't want the pump above the water level.

what are the flow and head specs

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
      I have a cousin who wants to replace the pump for his waterfall feature in his backyard. He is tired of submersible pumps that don't last so we are considering going with a centrifugal inline pump. Here's the question... If I wanted to use an inexpensive harbor freight style pump (with no prime pot), how would I keep this pump primed if it is above the "pond' level. I am thinking a swing check at the inlet pipe would keep the pump primed - what do you think? Would this work?
      You might be better off in the long run paying more for a commercial submersible pump that's rated for continuous duty. (I assume you haven't tried this yet).

Good luck!
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I have people walking in here all the time that are tired of the Harbor Freight, HD and Lowes pumps lasting a year and a month. Submersibles are the best bet. They don't need priming, so as long as you keep the pond full, no problem if you buy a quality pump.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

The pump he is using now is a submersible sump pump. I think it's a 1/4HP. As far as head....maybe 8 feet.

Can anyone recommend any decent pumps for the application that would last?
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Any brand name sump pump would work better than a big box pump. It's the same manufacturers building them, they just build junk for the big box stores.
            Myers, Sta-Rite, Hydromatic and I'm picking my brain for the other name that most plumbers recommend. Somebody will help me out with it. It just slipped my mind.

Sewage pumps are more money, but higher quality than sump pumps or you can go for one in between and go for the effluent pumps.

Comment

I picked up a Zoeller 1/3HP pump for only $110 Thank should last a little longer than those plastic pieces of junk.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Zoeller, that's' the name I couldn't remember. That's a good pump.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                  Zoeller, that's' the name I couldn't remember. That's a good pump.
                  Gould's also makes good pumps.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

could you bury the pump below the minimum water line in a dry box next to the pond? this way it stays primed but out of sight.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X