X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sump & battery back up pump

had fun with this install the pump I took out was piped into a drain inside the pit that was tied into there sewer and after the flooding back in july they wanted the pump to be ran out side . Only thing the pump is in midle of basement had to run 35' of pipe through floor joists into back room and out the brick wall the job in whole went well exept when I was hanging the pvc in the joist I was working on a platform 2' ladder and steped off backwards right on a length of PVC sliped and hit the ground with a big bang home owner came down and asked if I was ok but man that did hurt
    Attached Files
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Re: New sump & battery back up pump

Everything looks good except them there check valves. I have been told by many of inspectors that on PVC we must use the glue check valves with the stop.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Everything looks good except them there check valves. I have been told by many of inspectors that on PVC we must use the glue check valves with the stop.
      In new install yes but I have never had a zoller go bad in 12 years only if not installed tight enough but than I have seen glue joints blow fromm glue checks that people dont glue right
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
        In new install yes but I have never had a zoller go bad in 12 years only if not installed tight enough but than I have seen glue joints blow fromm glue checks that people dont glue right
        So true.

I recall I went on a service call to replace a burned out ejector pump that was enclosed under a stairwell. They had a little cubby door that I had to crawl into to get to the pit. They never installed a check valve. So as I was cutting the PVC to remove the pump, over half the fittings came apart, including some of them inside the finished wall. Ended up opening the wall in the stair well and in the basement bathroom just to repair all these poorly done joints.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

had fun with this install the pump I took out was piped into a drain inside the pit that was tied into there sewer and after the flooding back in july they wanted the pump to be ran out side . Only thing the pump is in midle of basement had to run 35' of pipe through floor joists into back room and out the brick wall the job in whole went well exept when I was hanging the pvc in the joist I was working on a platform 2' ladder and steped off backwards right on a length of PVC sliped and hit the ground with a big bang home owner came down and asked if I was ok but man that did hurt
          That's a nice looking job. Tomorrow I'm going to verify a sump pump with a battery backup works at a house a customer just bought. Their setup is not nearly as nice as yours.

Curious, do they require purple primer where you work?

I like the compression PVC check valves. They're rigid, while being removable.
          Attached Files
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Nice clean work. Daddy taught You well!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              That's a nice looking job. Tomorrow I'm going to verify a sump pump with a battery backup works at a house a customer just bought. Their setup is not nearly as nice as yours.

Curious, do they require purple primer where you work?

I like the compression PVC check valves. They're rigid, while being removable.
              they do and I use a transparent purple primer you need a UV light to see it only because I only do service If I do a job that req. an inspection I do have a UV light to show inspector
              http://www.herchem.com/products/pipecement.html
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

they do and I use a transparent purple primer you need a UV light to see it only because I only do service If I do a job that req. an inspection I do have a UV light to show inspector
                http://www.herchem.com/products/pipecement.html
                You can tell it's been cleaned by the clean spots on the pipe adjacent to the joints. IMO that ought to be proof enough.

Comment

So true.

I recall I went on a service call to replace a burned out ejector pump that was enclosed under a stairwell. They had a little cubby door that I had to crawl into to get to the pit. They never installed a check valve. So as I was cutting the PVC to remove the pump, over half the fittings came apart, including some of them inside the finished wall. Ended up opening the wall in the stair well and in the basement bathroom just to repair all these poorly done joints.
                  I think that the check and gate is a City of Chicago requirement only. I don't remember seeing it in the State of IL code.

Chicago Ref # is 18-29-712.2 Check and gate valve required.

However

There is an exception written in for single family homes:

"In single family residential buildings, only a check valve shall be required, located on the discharge piping from the sewage pump or ejector."

So if the rubber mechanical connnetions on the Zoeller valve classify as approved within the code for PVC piping, then the Zoeller would be acceptable by code, right?

I like "The Silencer" valves. Made in USA white platic body with heavier rubber hosing on the connetors. They also make a glue version with unions on inlet and outlet. I generally prefer glue check and gate on ejector pumps. If I'm going to pull that puppy out, I'd prefer not to risk having a 4' X 2" column of sewage dump on my head.

Comment

Here's a battery backup I looked at today. Great looking system eh? Post Plumber, can you say kwaulitee?

Battery voltage measured .679 volts dc. I measured the voltage coming from the "charger" at 2.1 volts dc. The backup pump itself was not only disconnected in the sump pit, it was moved aside, and the pump discharge opening was left open. So when the primary pump operated the discharge water simply dumped back into the pit. Might be a good thing, we don't want that sump pump cycling on and off too quickly do we.

The owner decided to eliminate the battery backup part of the system. It's in the back of my truck if anyone wants it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Here's a battery backup I looked at today. Great looking system eh? Post Plumber, can you say kwaulitee?

Battery voltage measured .679 volts dc. I measured the voltage coming from the "charger" at 2.1 volts dc. The backup pump itself was not only disconnected in the sump pit, it was moved aside, and the pump discharge opening was left open. So when the primary pump operated the discharge water simply dumped back into the pit. Might be a good thing, we don't want that sump pump cycling on and off too quickly do we.

The owner decided to eliminate the battery backup part of the system. It's in the back of my truck if anyone wants it.
                      lookes like the back up pump came off at valve probably because it was hanging by valve in air I know in my pic I have 2 pvc hangers but I have been back to replace with a 1 1/2" fricton clamp that way pump is not floating by check valve
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                      X