X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacktown Gas Greatness!

Customer: I smell gas behind my house
    Me: OK lets Look... I smell it too and suspect yardline
    - 60 Year old House has a raised Floor and Yard line was redone 10 years ago hmmm, maybe not the yard line...
    -Cap off all appliances -meter still spinning
    -Shut valve at House (meter stops spinning)
    -Pressure test yard line Pressure Holds (WTF!)
    -Pressure test house, run it up, small compressor wont pressurize line, large compressor will charge it up but the pressure dumps out almost instantly
    -I called a buddy from the gas company who has a high dollar gas sniffer on the truck and this is what we found...

(This pic is after the proper repair was completed as the contractor who installed the yard line 10 years ago did not have a 1/2" cap so he used JB Weld on a cut off nipple)

Not sure I would have ever found this one

Re: Hacktown Gas Greatness!

Nice galvy in the dirt !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It's scary to see what some people will do to save them a quick trip to the store and get the job done properly. I'm just glad it ended the way it did....could have been MUCH worse.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

nice find
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Customer: I smell gas behind my house
          Me: OK lets Look... I smell it too and suspect yardline
          - 60 Year old House has a raised Floor and Yard line was redone 10 years ago hmmm, maybe not the yard line...
          -Cap off all appliances -meter still spinning
          -Shut valve at House (meter stops spinning)
          -Pressure test yard line Pressure Holds (WTF!)
          -Pressure test house, run it up, small compressor wont pressurize line, large compressor will charge it up but the pressure dumps out almost instantly
          -I called a buddy from the gas company who has a high dollar gas sniffer on the truck and this is what we found...

(This pic is after the proper repair was completed as the contractor who installed the yard line 10 years ago did not have a 1/2" cap so he used JB Weld on a cut off nipple)

Not sure I would have ever found this one
          Way to stick with the problem! I can't believe someone would JB Weld an open pipe. They must have no conscience! Silicone with a bunch of toothpicks jammed in the pipe works much better in that situation.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

What do you have against JB Weld?? An aside question: was the guy who did this licensed? Could have turned out bad, lucky they called you and fixed it right.

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
              What do you have against JB Weld?? An aside question: was the guy who did this licensed? Could have turned out bad, lucky they called you and fixed it right.
              I wasn't aware JB Weld was an approved connection for underground gas lines.

In any event, betting someone's life and property that JB Weld is going to hold essentially forever is a foolish,needless, and pointless risk imho.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
              X