X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater draft assist...

Anybody ever hear of this? Customer has 3 year old water heater. She had an energy audit and was told that her water heater doesn't draft properly under certain circumstances, when she runs fans. The furnace vents up the chimney with the water heater and no chimney liner.

Any info or thoughts. Also the furnace does not have the same problem.
    All of this because of an energy audit.

Re: Water heater draft assist...

Can you bring in make-up air somehow?

Comment

Reline the chimney perhaps that would take care of the issue... Energy audit . Gimme a break. Sounds like another way for our government not to pay up after trying to make everyone go green and become energy effecient . They they send over some sort of agent to assess and deny the rebate . I better be careful big brother might be monitoring us
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I just use a butane fireplace lighter. crank up the temp control. Flame should go in the bonnet !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Reline the chimney perhaps that would take care of the issue... Energy audit . Gimme a break. Sounds like another way for our government not to pay up after trying to make everyone go green and become energy effecient . They they send over some sort of agent to assess and deny the rebate . I better be careful big brother might be monitoring us
          An "energy audit" as I understand is done by private companies. ABC Energy will come in with thermal cameras and a fan setup. Then create vacuum (or pressure?) and show you where you have energy loss in a building/residence.

I'd have to talk with them and ask exactly what they are talking about and make them come up with the solution.

Anyone can say this isn't working correctly or efficiently. Tell them to prove it. If they can then they should absolutely know how to correct it.

J.C.

Comment

RULE #1 DON'T LET THE GOVT. IN Your Home !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              RULE #1 DON'T LET THE GOVT. IN Your Home !

Ahhh but there are strings attached to that honey... errr money.

Rule #2. See rule #1
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Every natural draft gas appliance is going to fail this test in an air tight house.

Why would the water heater fail but not the furnace if they are using a common chimney? Fan induced furnace maybe?

Any action to correct this will likely greatly exceed the energy loss in it's current state.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  Ahhh but there are strings attached to that honey... errr money.

Rule #2. See rule #1
                  I like the Govt. agents that deliver My S. S. CHECK. They're swell guys

Comment

Geno is right, dont let the Government in. Ove rhere we have Uni grads who know nothing about Plumbing and Gasfitting. Earlier this year two yong boys lost their lives to CO poisoning. Their poor mother was immediately put under the microscope accused of murder. She herself was actually overcome but being adult survived poisoning. Now our Regulators investigated and the Coroner hasnt released the verdict yet but we are being advised to think about VENTILATION at every step of the installation process. Now as Professionals here we all understand what is required yet we have morons like your Al Gore running around telling us about Greenhouse gases and how we should lock up our houses. One of the very first things I learned as an Apprentice was that every house needs a minimum of 10% fresh air to be introduced into the house for nothing short of good healthy air. Lock it up and we are not getting the right levels of Oxygen. But then again I am only a highly paid Plumber Gasfitter who takes pride in looking after the Health and Safeety of the Community. Like Doctors we generally bury our mistakes but I have never buried a client. Must admit under different circumstances Ihave though tof it though...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can't figure out why the furnace doest get affected. I am looking into a draft inducer for the water heater. I'll have to see what else I can find.

Comment

Working...
                      X