X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disaster supplys

that instant water heater isn,t going to give you 30, 40 50 or 75 gals. of drinking water! we,ve also got the hot tub for flush and bath water
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Tool,

Not sure I understand your post. Could you elaborate please.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

we live 15 miles N.W.of S.F. in earth quake country. ther,s a good chance of a major quake in my lifetime.
      this disaster have a lot of us thinking of emergency supplys
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool, just about any water source will flush a toilet. i wouldn't waste good potable water for the toilet. pool water will work good and not bad for drinking with the right ph levels. also most tankless heater will not work without power. the higher end ones are computer controlled. the cheap ones typically have a standing pilot.
        rick.

Comment

rick ,i was pointing out that standard water heaters are a source of drinking water, where tankless arn,t in a disaster

Comment

A half dozen one gallon milk bottles rinsed and filled with tap water will provide a minimum of drinking water for three or four days providing you are not trying to cook pasta or anything. Sealed store bought water will last in storage for a year. Added with a 40 or 50 gallon hot water tank a family of four would have a minimum requirement of survival water for nearly two weeks.

A dozen boxes of cheap trashbags and a hole in the yard can allow for minimum sanitation for a month.

Everyone should learn how to garden and can. A garden actually requires no more work than a nice lawn and can yield food twice as nutritious as the processed stuff. Its tastier and good exercise too.

Cheap distilling systems are available and not a bad investment for someone who has a place to store a 200 or 300 dollar item that hopefully will never be used.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
              A half dozen one gallon milk bottles rinsed and filled with tap water will provide a minimum of drinking water for three or four days providing you are not trying to cook pasta or anything. Sealed store bought water will last in storage for a year. Added with a 40 or 50 gallon hot water tank a family of four would have a minimum requirement of survival water for nearly two weeks.

A dozen boxes of cheap trashbags and a hole in the yard can allow for minimum sanitation for a month.

Everyone should learn how to garden and can. A garden actually requires no more work than a nice lawn and can yield food twice as nutritious as the processed stuff. Its tastier and good exercise too.

Cheap distilling systems are available and not a bad investment for someone who has a place to store a 200 or 300 dollar item that hopefully will never be used.
              Plumber,

I own shotguns, ammo, a first aide kit, and a 4-wheel drive truck. All the survival I need.

Just kidding (well....sort of). The fact is that I live in the L.A. area, which is earthquake central for the US. We have much better emergency response for these situations, because it happens more often than major hurricanes, and because our area is heavily populated. When an earthquake hits, it hits a limited area of the total population. We are able to bring in emergency personel from surrounding cities.

The so called LA area is comprised of LA, Orange, Ventura, and Riverside counties, all comprising a continious strech of developed land. Look on a map and look at the territory.

My heart goes out to the New Orleans, some of whose refugees are now in California. The company I work for has already hired a helper from that area, out of pure sympathy. We did not need a helper, but they thought it was the right thing to do. I respected them fot doing that.

I,myself, don't spend alot of time worry about it. I actually kind of like earthquakes. Don't like to see people hurt (which is usually minimal), but it reminds us humans that we do not control nature.

the dog
              the dog

Comment

Dog,

Several of us teamed up today to open shuttered army barracks to provide shelter, heat, water and sanitation to approx 250 refugees to arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Next weekend a few of us will go back through to be sure everything is stillworking properly and no hidden problems surfaced. The place sat empty through five winters and five summers so there will be problems.

What your company did was very commendable. Tens of thousands of Companies and Unions will need to follow your companies lead. It could very well be that half of those poor souls will never be able to go home.

We get tornado's and floods. I live on the extreme edge of the New Madrids fault line damage area. If it ever lets loose like it did during the winter of 1811 and 1812, New Orleans might well look like a spring thunderstorm. No one here takes earthquake planning seriously. I am far more afraid of some idiot driving a large SUV as though it were a little sports car. You see these top heavy things teetering through traffic as though the driver thought he was Mario Andretti at the Indy 500. Then they want to sue somebody when they roll over.

Comment

Working...
                X