X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heat Your Home?

why isn't steam feasible? breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
      why isn't steam feasible? breid.................
      i dont have the stats on it
      i like putting steam boilers in commercial buildings and we still do it .it still is a good heating system
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

hawk, thanks for the reply. but heaterman said that and i was curious why. looked feasible to me. breid................

Comment

No one will put steam in a new home anymore

Comment

i'm curious as to why. my only experience with steam heat is a few boiler upgrades and a little reading.

it's seems like a spectacular way to heat.

Originally posted by Heaterman View Post
            No one will put steam in a new home anymore
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'm getting into (just studying) boilers & radiant heat. I like the idea of quiet and no air movement.

It does seem to cost a fortune to install in comparison to forced air. Is this wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

It costs a lot more to install. Also, if you already have central air, You already have the air handler and ductwork, so you're really only paying for the heatsource within the air handler.

We actually just bid a Dorm in a nearby city that is designed with steam heat. Unfortunately we didn't win the contract on the plumbing, but damn that would have been fun.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I'm getting into (just studying) boilers & radiant heat. I like the idea of quiet and no air movement.

It does seem to cost a fortune to install in comparison to forced air. Is this wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have lived in several places in the country,

Here are the locations I lived in and what we ( my family ) used for heat.

Long Island, New York = Boiler heater / Forced Hot Water ( Gas & Oil )

Rochester, New York = Gas Forced Hot Air Furnace

New Orleans, LA = No heat - The Sun had that covered

North Carolina = Propane Forced Hot Air Unit

Hope this quenches your inquisitive mind ;-)

Oh and PS: As an installer of both ( I am a retired plumber / heating guy )

I would say that boilers, radiant heat is way more expensive then an forced hot air unit in some cases
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.
                    I can be competative with a high efficiency forced air system usually no more than 1500-2000. The problem is not having AC. That is a deal breaker 80% of the time. Here we need AC for 3 weeks and heat for 9 months. With a good baseboard system it should cost about 30% less to run over a scorched air system.

Comment

Just finished up a boiler replacement. Took out a 40 year old Memco and replaced it with a new Buderus 125 non condensing. Cost to the customer.....wait for it........... $ 7,585.00 Took the better part of the day to make the switch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Just finished up a boiler replacement. Took out a 40 year old Memco and replaced it with a new Buderus 125 non condensing. Cost to the customer.....wait for it........... $ 7,585.00 Took the better part of the day to make the switch
                        Just had a whole forced air system put in a house. Unit, ducts, the works. That's heat and air conditioning for....wait for it....less than just your boiler.

(I know area pricing does differ though.)

J.C.

Comment

wood heat, we have used this wood stove for nearly 30 years,

and propane high effecency forced air furance for backup or when were out,
                          Attached Files
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I like electric heat 'cuz i like to watch the electric meter twirl so fast that the meter shakes the wall.$$$$$
                            The electric company sends me thank you notes at the end of every month.

Does anyone have a Geothermal Heat Pump?
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              I like electric heat 'cuz i like to watch the electric meter twirl so fast that the meter shakes the wall.$$$$$
                              The electric company sends me thank you notes at the end of every month.

Does anyone have a Geothermal Heat Pump?
                              No. But I don't think it pays. Sorry.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.
                                In my area, a furnace with A/C coil and condenser install, is in the same ball park as a Boiler install.

The other nice thing about Boilers and radiant/baseboard heat is...it's more of an even heat then forced air. But forced hot air will heat the room quicker then radiant or baseboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X