well and sulpher /odor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well and sulpher /odor

Had a customer call the other day. They have a well system. Out of the hot side they have a terrible rotten egg smell. There is no conditioner or filter system at all. Right off the well tank to the house. I was thinking maybe the well water ate the anode rod up already . Not sure though.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: well and sulpher /odor

if they don't have a water sofenter then you stand a chance of getting rid of the smell by installing a different material for an anode rod. I would bleach the hot side first then try the new anode. From what I have read if the water is softened, then nothing works except getting rid of the anode rod (not a good idea)

Comment

First I would check the anode in the water heater. I had one fail that was installed for only two years. Replaced it and the problems went away.

If the anode appears to be substantial, then you might try switching the anode:

http://shop.waterconnection.com/prod...4&categoryId=4

<Well Water Kit with Flexible Anode

The Well Water with Flexible Anode kit includes the same as the Standard kit except the standard magnesium anode is replaced with a aluminum zinc anode Standard kit includes: Magnesium anode rod,a brass full port drain valve, hose adaptor,a ¾"x3" lined nipple,a curved dip tube,roll of teflon tape, and maintenance schedule sticker All kits can be substituted with hex head anodes>

Good Luck!
      Last edited by geno gardner; 10-24-2010, 12:44 PM.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

the first thing one needs to determine is if it is the system, or the well,

if in the well, a cistern type tank and either a spray or aeration system should off gas most of the Hydrogen Sulfide, some Ph adjustment may be necessary also, for full effectiveness,

below is a reasonable good explanation of the possible helps to solve the problem,

http://www.affordablewater.us/uHydro...1kLCuRVDaOxJEx

the below power point has some general info, on gasses in wells,

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...KRZqEICeKWJXVw
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          the first thing one needs to determine is if it is the system, or the well,

if in the well, a cistern type tank and either a spray or aeration system should off gas most of the Hydrogen Sulfide, some Ph adjustment may be necessary also, for full effectiveness,

The OP indicated it was hot water only, since the cold water isn't a problem wouldn't that indicate excessive well gases aren't the root cause?
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
          X