X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex Liability

Hard times in Camden New Jersey, that for daern sure.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We have a ton of old soft copper with flair joints in west Mi. It is run every witch way. it looks horrible. same with cast and galvanized drain lines in basements. come up with a stack and point the fittings right at the fixture,and run your pipe kitty corner to the floor joists. not neet at all. matter of fact a lot of galvanized water pipe is run crappy around here. The only reson copper is run nice is because copper is easy to run and have it look good.

I think the how it looks is a lame aurgument. line sets for A.C. units are soft they look bad but nobody cares because that is what we are used to.

now we are talking about what is better. This i don't know. but I do know how something looks doesnt make it more functional or better.

Comment

I am glad I never have used it.

Same theory should apply to Ridgid Pro Press fittings...rubber seals.

Comment

we have a lot soft copper here. some flair and some sweat. some water sizes, some everything else. i carry all kinds of odd fittings. sometimes there are so many different piping coming together you just laugh. i can understand the straight runs on drains. less fittings, so better flow. + cheaper. breid...............

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
            I am glad I never have used it.

Same theory should apply to Ridgid Pro Press fittings...rubber seals.
            without rubber seals, there would be no no hub, victaulic, washers, o-rings, faucets, valves. plumbing wouldn't exist and your tires would still be wood.

based on my surveys here, most of the guys are using the wrong / illegal flux. and who knows who's still using lead solder? along with all the lead solder joints in the country.

last time i checked, a rubber o-ring was only responsible for the challenger accident.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              And Adam makes a good point. You never know what subcontractors are being used.

Got to keep your eyes open.

http://www.uponorlawsuit.com/images/analysis_mti.pdf

J.C.
              I was not happy about switching to PEX either. I still belive copper is the best in most cases if someone cares enough to pay for it. I haven't found anyone in about 4 years. The Lawsuit against Uponor is on a company they bought. The way I heard it is they pulled all the product off the shelves within a year or so. The ProPex is not a part of it.

I only install the ProPex. It has a proven track record unlike the "insert" style fittings.

Comment

I like it bent.
                Attached Files

Comment

Haven't hardly soldered a joint in over a year. ProPress and Viega Pex is the norm for me. Never had a problem with any of it and my customers love it. Since I started using it my profits have more than doubled.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                    I was not happy about switching to PEX either. I still belive copper is the best in most cases if someone cares enough to pay for it. I haven't found anyone in about 4 years. The Lawsuit against Uponor is on a company they bought. The way I heard it is they pulled all the product off the shelves within a year or so. The ProPex is not a part of it.

I only install the ProPex. It has a proven track record unlike the "insert" style fittings.

I never put in a piece of pex...How long is its track record ?

Comment

I still pour lead joints for W+V on a daily basis on new work,I don't even think about running Pex for water yet.
                      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

del

1930's. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
                          I still pour lead joints for W+V on a daily basis on new work,I don't even think about running Pex for water yet.
                          You're kidding right ..I mean about pouring lead joints for waste and vent systems.. I pack and pour an occasional closet flange but thats it..I could care less about the Pex thing too. I run "L" copper or cpvc.
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I want someone to explain how they can "make more money" installing pex. Sure, you can do more jobs in less time but all that means is that you are doing more jobs and making less money than if you did a couple of jobs and made more money. The numbers don't work and anybody that has been in this business for 20 years or so has seen the effects of all this fast cheap easy crap. If you can't then you are in deep denial or never had a decent business in the first place. Here's some other things that you can expect apprentices to know nothing about in the next 10 years or so.

Threaded pipe. CSST and Pro-Press gas will drive the nail into that coffin as more and more contractors and homeowners dictate fast, cheap and easy to the trade. I expect that you will be able to purchase a good used Ridgid 300 on craigs list for under a hundred bucks.

Copper. Try as I may, this battle has already been lost so those of you that jumped all over that band wagon can thank the industry, contractors, homeowners, home depot and Lowes for making you job so fast and easy a caveman can do it.

Cast Iron. Before too long you can expect that even in industrial and commercial use, there will not be much need for no hub or hub and spigot so don't even bother to ask your apprentice for those skills.

Venting. Nobody will have a clue what a real vent is because we can all slap an AAV under the sink and be done with it.

So as you put your plumbers torch in a closet somewhere and grab your favorite pex hack tool, just keep in mind that with the way things are going a LICENSE will not be of much use either.

But hey, who cares as long as you are making bank now. Screw the future.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                              You're kidding right ..I mean about pouring lead joints for waste and vent systems.. I pack and pour an occasional closet flange but thats it..I could care less about the Pex thing too. I run "L" copper or cpvc.
                              No chicago code still requires cast on res. building over 3 storys or non residential like all the condos we do in the loop cast and copper drains I still carry all my lead tools in & out packin irons but yet I like leakfree have yet to install pex eather 2004 chicago just let PVC in the city for 3 story residential or under thats ALL!!!
                              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                I want someone to explain how they can "make more money" installing pex. Sure, you can do more jobs in less time but all that means is that you are doing more jobs and making less money than if you did a couple of jobs and made more money. The numbers don't work and anybody that has been in this business for 20 years or so has seen the effects of all this fast cheap easy crap. If you can't then you are in deep denial or never had a decent business in the first place. Here's some other things that you can expect apprentices to know nothing about in the next 10 years or so.

Threaded pipe. CSST and Pro-Press gas will drive the nail into that coffin as more and more contractors and homeowners dictate fast, cheap and easy to the trade. I expect that you will be able to purchase a good used Ridgid 300 on craigs list for under a hundred bucks.

Copper. Try as I may, this battle has already been lost so those of you that jumped all over that band wagon can thank the industry, contractors, homeowners, home depot and Lowes for making you job so fast and easy a caveman can do it.

Cast Iron. Before too long you can expect that even in industrial and commercial use, there will not be much need for no hub or hub and spigot so don't even bother to ask your apprentice for those skills.

Venting. Nobody will have a clue what a real vent is because we can all slap an AAV under the sink and be done with it.

So as you put your plumbers torch in a closet somewhere and grab your favorite pex hack tool, just keep in mind that with the way things are going a LICENSE will not be of much use either.

But hey, who cares as long as you are making bank now. Screw the future.
                                Alright then Donnie Downer, what's the answer & advice for those younger than you?

You seem to feel that everything is going to he!! in the trade and there is no future or money to be made. Over and over you have stated this and that there is no going back.

This makes no sense to me as you are a public school teacher of the very trade that you claim will be useless to make a living at in the near future.

Why would you lead your lambs to the slaughter?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X