X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pex Liability

agreed, now go and get dressed for Christmas dinner before your girl friend starts nagging you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Tony, I'm not pulling his chain at all, neither am I being sarcastic. As for being out of date I fail to see how not following the herd makes one out of date. I have installed these products, evaluated these products, SERVICED these products and concluded that for MY company, it does not make sense to got on the band wagon. Furthermore we are the largest company in the area and probably the most profitable one also. We do not compromise and that's how we got that way. Sure, we loose business to other plumbers that work cheaper and faster and that's OK because we have a strong customer base that trust's our judgment and skills. So are we ripping our customers off if we refuse to use PEX, AAV's and other similar time saving products ?

Aside from all that Tony, like I've said before, I don't get in the trenches anymore, I teach and if nothing else these discussions get people thinking about their decisions and the direction that those decisions drive the plumbing trade.

Here's why Iron Ranger and I don't go at it anymore. We had numerous discussions (arguments) here and on other forums and finally he came out and said the right thing " I use it, I like it, it works for me and my company" no justifications, no waffling just his opinion straight up. He knows it's strengths and he knows it's weakness and he's not trying to convince the world that his choice is the only choice.

Now if you will excuse me gent's the lead pot's just about up to temp
      Now make sure NH you have packed the joint properly and tightened the rope around the joint allowing just enough so to allow the molten lead to enter the joint with a consistent flow and be vary carefull not to burn yourself and put your hanky over your mouth.
      When your finished you can show your skills with the dies on the 3/4'' gal water service and after that the laying and cementing of every joint on the earthware sewer pipe making sure each one is in straight alignment as I don`t want to see you crying in front of the inspector again

Tony

Comment

One continuous pour, no double dipping

Anyone seen my can of lamp black anywhere?
        sigpic

Comment

I'm going to run a galvanized water line for one of my customers (with permission of course) in a home that has existing galvanized. (Still plenty of it left in my area)

I'll warrant it,

it will clog up, but in 40-50 years, provide a leak proof system up to that time.

I missed this thread, which I would of nominated instantly.

There was answers to soil conditions, ph levels before plastic. People fail to comprehend on that level that the new fantasy product (plastic) was not available 4-5 decades ago.

And look at how long those products, like cast iron in school systems is going to stretch 100 years without failure. Start with a good product and it'll stand the test of time.

My grade school was built in 1934.

Same cast iron DWV system to this day.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

old school american gal pipe lasted 50-75 years out here.

new school import pipe last 3

1 supply house stocks domestic gal fittings, but not the domestic gal pipe

here is less than 20 year old no hub i just changed a few days ago.

i probably do this a few times a year with split pipe. some less than 10 years old.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-26-2010, 12:07 PM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i probably do this a few times a year with split pipe. some less than 10 years old.
              Heavy sewer gas area?

Comment

Looks seismic.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Down in the mixed commercial/residential area in the northern area of kentucky, cast iron stacks thin out to paper on the tops and that last 15' going through the roof due to the chemical gases the factories are putting through the system.

Silmar plastics, a company down in that area is notorious for epa violations and was a contributory cause to health issues and other related effects to the system.

There is no doubt; cast iron today against cast iron years ago is almost disrespectful in quality standards.

This falls back to ASTM req's that keep passing the buck on minimum standard, and offering their "cure" with alternative high priced product that the market will never justify in expense.

I just tore out some cast iron that was completely disintegrated, but took on 45+ years of acidic food waste.

I've taken out cast iron that when I cut it, looked like steel pipe, and then I've cut cast iron that had so many holes inside the crosscut that I know the finishing sealant on the pipe was the only thing keeping it from oozing out.

Most of the wealthier older neighborhoods, you can tell the plumbers used the best that money could buy.

But then I've been in homes where I could one swing at the cast iron and shatter it, then the piece that I needed to do that the most, solid as a freaking rock. Must of been "We only got X amount of feet of the type you need, I'll have to give ya the good stuff to complete the order."
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    Heavy sewer gas area?
                    A most of time this occurs on totally unused roof drain overflows.Exposed to nothing more than air.

Comment

Heavy sewer gas can destroy copper DWV and cause cast iron to crack.

I found it in a house. The 7' of the stack coming out of the slab was cast iron.....it was cracked from the hub at the slab and extended a few feet vertical. After around the 7' point it transitioned to copper and continued copper through the roof catching a bath group along the way.

IT WAS TOTALLY DESTROYED. It was a sight to see. They needed a house trap.

Comment

Your a terrible listener

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Your a terrible listener
                          So thats how its going to be? So cast iron is good...but not for air

Comment

the pipe is exposed in the subteraian garage and serves the garage emergency drains and deck/ planter drains.

the waste lines seem to be fine with 20 years on them.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

We still install a crap load of CI No Hub for commercial applications and quite a few rich folks want it because its quiet when you flush the toilet. There are still a few towns that will not let us put PCV underground either.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                We still install a crap load of CI No Hub for commercial applications and quite a few rich folks want it because its quiet when you flush the toilet. There are still a few towns that will not let us put PCV underground either.
                                Haven`t touched cast iron in twenty years all PVC under ground and above.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X