X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driller1 & Speedbump or Whoever?

I'm looking to get a pump lift of some type. What do you use?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Driller1 & Speedbump or Whoever?

Gonna' bump this a couple of times. Looking for recommendations on a submersible pump puller.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page
      If I am reading you right this is what we used at fluid tech a pump company I worked for last year they used these to pull all and any pumps sump and virticall turbine you just might need a zute suit when you go into the pit {tyvake suit}
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Gonna' bump this a couple of times. Looking for recommendations on a submersible pump puller.

Thanks.
        J.C.
        are you asking about pulling a submersible pump out of a well?

what type of pipe is on the pump?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        on poly pipe many use a tire rim/wheel and set it up on a frame so that it can guide the poly pipe out of the well casing, and by using the safety rope can pull up the unit and wire and pipe at one time, (keep it all coming at once, if any part of lags behind it can jam in the hole),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on steel pipe if you do not have a windmill tower above the well one will either need a tall frame or tripod or use a boom truck or some type of gin poles on a truck, or a well pulling rig,

you would normally need about 25 feet min, (most well drop pipe I am have seen in the well I have pulled, is either 18 or 21 foot), to the top of the lift point, 30 foot better,
        I strongly recommend a good pipe holder for holding the pipe to keep it from dropping down the hole (I like pipe elevators for lifting the pipe, you use two of them as one will work, as the safety holder, one can use a plate with a U shape in it to keep the pipe coupler from passing though,

one can make a pipe elevator, out of nipple and a steel loop welded on to the nipple, screw the nipple into the pipe and lift the column up, to the next joint, put in the pipe holder of your choice, and separate the pipe at the joint, leaving the coupling on the lower pipe, (a good swivel on the cable is a big help so it does not spin the pipe), remove the nipple off the pipe when you have it secure or layed down, and reuse on the next joint,

to pull the pipe I use either a winch, I have used block and tackle and rope (old well tackle), I did not like it as if there was any twist in it one could pull the tower down,
        If using a truck to pull with run the cable/rope to the top of the tower pulley, and then back down to a leg at the bottom and use a second pulley (make sure the leg is secure), and hook on to the front of the truck so one can watch out the front at what your doing,

steel pipe gets heavy fast with full of water and it is a deep well,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Up-z-dazy

The one I have is probably close to an original. It's from before my time, my guess is it's 25-30 years old. They came out and where an un-patented design built with stock you can purchase from Grainger. Guys in the trade where putting them together themselves. I've rebuilt and re-welded the thing a few of times keeping it going. And just now with my googling I'm glad I have.

http://www.atlanticsupply.com/produc...category_id=11

At 4 grand though that's a lot of back breaking work I'd put up with before considering a new one.

This is the largest picture of the basic design I could find.

http://petershampump.com/images/835_..._Up_Z_Dazy.jpg

I don't use it on most jobs. The average well in my area is only a couple hundred feet. And with shallow static level's are easy pulls by hand. Generally a well needs to be 350 plus before I consider it. I'll make exceptions for unusually low water tables or older pvc pipe.

The time is it's biggest draw back. Mine doesn't have the expendable legs featured on that new one. With the casings the standard 18 inches above ground it needs to be set above that. I bring a half dozen cinder blocks to do that. It needs to be set relatively level. Then after the extra time that requires for set it pulls at a steady but agonizing pace. You need 2 people on the job site to run it.

It probably weighs about 150 pounds. It's awkward to pick up by yourself. I can get it in the back of my pick up alone but prefer not to. The one I have has a single wheel added to the front(same size as the ones it uses and interchangeable if needed) so It can be moved around like a wheel barrow.

I guess that's not really a stellar review but I haven't seen many options out there. I'm curious to see what others come up with.

I can and have used it for steel pipe but for me that's never worth it. To dangerous IMO. I can get a crane on site in under a couple hours if needed. The cost to contract one these days is so low it's almost always worthwhile. With a crane on site and a skilled operator I can pull and redo a system in less time then required for poly pipe system.

Comment

My grandfathers Up-Z-Daisy may be for sale soon I will keep you posted

But I used it whenever i needed it and it was the schiznit

Comment

I naturally use a pump hoist. Mine is a Semco 4000. It's designed to do exactly what your trying to do.

Anything less is just going to make the job harder. I am aware of Up Z Daisies and some of the other methods, but am not fond of them.

I never use Rope, cable, torque arrestors or any of that other stuff recommended by lots of big box stores. They are all just something else to help get your pump stuck in your well causing you to drill a new one. If you don't use pipe that is far tougher than rope, your asking for trouble. I have never used Poly pipe to hang a pump, but lots of people do. I wouldn't use anything less than 160 psi poly. And if it's going deep, I would use 200psi or larger if it's available. If using PVC, get SCH 80 with threads. Female on one end and male on the other.

Always tape your wire to the pipe at least at every joint with rigid pipe or every ten feet with Poly. And keep it tight.

A good clamp to hold the pipe when you get tired or need a rest is a great idea. This is the best one I have found.
              Attached Files
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

One more thing. With a pump hoist and a stacking hoop at the top of your mast, you can use two elevators and stack 42 feet of galvanized pipe up through the hoop at a time keeping you from ever having to lay the pipe on the ground in the dog poop.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Here the pipe is almost always 160psi PE. I sometimes get calls for 300' to 500' and no way to get to it to pull it with a truck.

No wire protectors or torque arrestors Speedy? Good to know as I'm sure you turnover many more pumps than me.

I've used both but may abandon that as I have felt the "hang" of offsets or rock down there.

I tape every 3'. And even closer off the first 5 foot of the pump.

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

speed bump I agree that is a good pipe clamp, called a "Kwik Klamp Pipe Holders"
                    Clamp holds pipe while being lowered into or pulled out of well. The lever operated clamp has hardened jaws to minimize wear. Easily adjustable for 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" steel and PVC pipe. 3500 pound non-shock load limit.

I got one not to long ago and have been pleased with it,
                    Last edited by BHD; 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We have had one for years, can't wear it out. It holds practically any kind of pipe. Before that it was a pipe vice. I was a little leary of it, but it did work.

Comment

I have had an Up zee for many years, used it hundreds of times, flawless.
                        torque arrestors are code around here so we install them. Never had a torque arrestor hang a pump up in over 35 years of pump pulling. We set just about everything on PE, either 160 lb or 200 depending on depth and pump size.
                        sigpic

Comment

I sleeve the first 20 feet from the pump in a piece of the old piping or 160psi poly. Pump tork at the pump then wire guards approx every 15 feet, taping at the wire guards and halfway between each.

So far I've never hap a pump fail due to wire damage.

I almost exclusively use 200psi poly for submersibles. Depths over 600 feet or pumps more then 2hp I move to galvanized. For deep well jet systems I use 160 psi poly.

Pipe hoist trucks are almost never used in my area. I'm not sure why it developed that way. The supply-houses don't seem to be set up for those types of operations. If a walked in and asked for 400 feet of 1 inch PVC they'd look at me like I had 2 heads.

Peoples yards around me are often difficult to maneuver and the landscape investments are simply to much to consider running vehicles over.

I started using cranes when dealing jobs involving multi-million dollar properties with no access to the area of the wells. The ability to set them up in the driveway and reach clear over the home saves many head aches.

The expectation of some of my customers is that there is no remaining evidence of any work having been done. No orange on the grass from there the old pipe was laid out, no shrubs around the well being cut, sod needs to be cut out and landscaped back in for well pits.

Without a pump hoist has anyone seen a device other then an up-z-dazy?

Comment

There is another machine called a pull-a-pump. It,s made up in New Jersey and it,s a sweet little machine. It,s much more portable than the up-z-daisy because it has built-in handle bars, large " bicycle " tires and weighs about 100# less than an up-z-daisy. This machine sits on top of the well casing with a short sleeve that fits just inside the casing. Self-supporting and self leveling. A good one-man machine. I have had this thing in every situation you can think of....even on top of an old pump-house roof (pulling through a hole in the roof)..basements...(yes, several idiots have built additions over old wells) Even had it in the ladies room in the basement of a local church (you have to remove the vanity to get to the well head) This machine is set up to use 240v right off the well head. I also have an up-z-daisy, and a pump truck (hoist) They each have their place.
                            Rick

Comment

link to the pull a pump
                              http://www.pulapump.com/
                              not the best web site but good pictures and two videos, click on the "abouts" (each one is a different picture and info), and the "Internet links" are the videos,

here is another unit uses a power threader for the drive and motor,
                              http://www.pumppuller.com/index.html
                              Last edited by BHD; 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X