X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water valve extension control

Hi folks, could i inquire about 3 pictures emailed to me from a property mgr. I was asked based on 3 pictures to give my opinion about whether these ever need changing. A town quite far away had several changed and made the local property mgr curious if these even need changing. I ve never seen these controls before and never touched one. Therefore, i m not sure what they are used for.

Has anyone seen these before and know what they are really used for. Are these something that do fail and need replacing?

Thanks a whole bunch in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: water valve extension control

Around my parts that's known as a b-box/curb box,sit's over a valve called a corporation cock which is down in the ground installed on the main water service to the structure,usually has a pentaon shaped bolt holding the top on.You insert a key(long with a tee handle and a slotted finger on the bottom) after removing the top to turn on or off the valve in the ground,it keeps the valve and the main line down below the frost line,preventing it from freezing.I've never replaced one unless they have been damaged from something hitting them.
    Last edited by leakfree; 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM.
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

we never replace unless they don't work for whatever reason. breid.................

Comment

Thank you leakfree and bried for the excellent help. If i m not mistaken, is the pictured item just like what i use in vancouver, a piece of 4 inch pvc and a steel cap on top level to the finished grade. I use it as a standpipe so that i can reach the mueller or corporation 1/4 turn bronze valve with my water key. Is the piece of steel just a hollow access tube passageway to reach the shut off valve? If it is, now i understand why you said you would never change it unless it got bulldozed and bent by accident. Thank you again.

Comment

Around here its called an arch pattern curbstop box/riser. It sits over the curbstop valve and allows access to the valve with a curbstop key (tee handle) that goes all the way below the frost line or sometimes there is an extension rod attached to the valve that comes within a foot or so of grade.

Comment

Working...
          X