Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Only

Hi I am a plumber in Australia.
    I am curious to know if our plumber cousins in the USA have a "Trade Only" supplier in their region?
    The "Trade Only" , or the "Don't Do It Yourself" campaign seems to be catching on with plumbers here. I have also noticed that the UK has Trade Only suppliers.
    The push is in reply to the DIY craze that came out of the USA.
    The idea is that home owners should call in a professional when they have a plumbing problem.

Anyway if someone is aware of anything like this in the USA, I would be happy to hear about it?

Cheers

Re: Trade Only

By us in Chicago, most of the HVAC suppliers will turn away anyone that is not a contractor. Heck I get turned away at times since I am not really into HVAC. But our plumbing supply houses will sell to anyone that is willing to walk through their doors.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We have a few supply houses that are wholesale only. Most will sell to anyone with the cash. Though the HVAC suppliers like ratz said are a bit pickier. And, if it has anything to do with a freon system you need an EPA number for them to sell to you, some of them won't even sell filter driers and the like without an epa license.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

HVAC supply houses in my area are mostly trade only.

But not having an EPA card wouldn't be the sole reason...it's because homeowners shouldn't be messing with gas or oil burner parts as well.

Plumbing supply houses are whores and sell to anyone.

Comment

This forum is cool!
          Thanks for the fast response!
          I have done some searching and reading on the net.
          So, from what you guys are telling me, and my reading, there are no general plumbing supply houses that support general plumbers with a "Trade Only" policy?

Comment

No, they do not. They do jack the price up pretty high to a non contractor at all of the ones in my area.

HVAC would not retail to anyone for gas related items in the past with ozone depleting refrigerants involved. I think it may be a matter of short time before that is gone also. Aren't the new type "Freons" EPA safe if released into the atmosphere?

Seriously asking as I'm ignorant to it. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Funny - here in so cal most HVAC places (at least the ones I've encountered) are trade only as well. Those HVAC folks know how to keep themselves in business.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                HVAC would not retail to anyone for gas related items in the past with ozone depleting refrigerants involved. I think it may be a matter of short time before that is gone also. Aren't the new type "Freons" EPA safe if released into the atmosphere?

Seriously asking as I'm ignorant to it. Thanks.

J.C.
                Depends on who you ask.

My HVAC supplier does not require an E.P.A. card for R-410a because the E.P.A. does not require it.

But someone like Ferguson will require you to have a Type II card or better because R-410a is higher pressure.

Now some schools here are trying to market "R-410a classes", as some employers will want the Tech to be knowledgeable in it.

Comment

when times were good, there were supply houses that were contractors only. i think hd supply is still like that. others don't want to loose the sale and the cash.

what i don't like is when the retail customer comes in and hasn't a clue what they need while the only counter guy helps them. it's actually faster to steer them the right way and move on.

there was an appliance parts store i use to go to. 2 counters and the wholesale counter always came first

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Guys,
                    I am pleased to see that there is at least passing interest in the
                    "Don't Do It Yourself" concept in the USA.

The fact that plumbing suppliers sell to my customers has bothered me for years, but am pleased to say there is at least a chance that things may change for the better for our trade.

Just for those reading,

These are the reasons I support “Trade Only” plumbing supplies.

It supports my business and the plumbing trade.
                    I am less likely to lose work to unqualified handymen.
                    It allows me to make a reasonable margin on the goods I supply to a particular job.
                    It protects the public from unsafe installations and work practices.
                    It reduces the likelihood of me having to compete with unqualified handymen who are not subject to all the bureaucratic overheads that I have to deal with.

Thanks again for your responses and interest

Comment

Hi plumber Rick
                      can you tell me where to find HD supply?
                      I am guessing they are in Los Angeles somewhere?

Cheers

Comment

770 locations according to their website. i don't believe home depot has anything to do with them in the last few years.

http://www.hdsupply.com/

rick.

http://www.hdsupply.com/plumbing-hvac/
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Flux and other readers
                          It sounds like HVAC is liscenced and regulated.
                          Is the general plumbing trade liscenced in the USA ?

Comment

There was one in a Chicago suburb,this year they were bought by Cooper Supply and they now sell retail to anyone.
                            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Hi "Leak Free"
                              Thanks for the response.
                              Did the plumbers in the area like the idea of a "Trade Only" supplier when they were in business?
                              Bye the way, does anyone have a run down on the licencing of general plumbers in the USA?
                              Or can anyone call themselves a plumber and offer their services to the public?

Comment

Working...
                              X