• Show
Clear All

Re: Old Code and Plumbing Books

Ron, do you have a Buckle's book?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

This was the 1913 edition of the textbook my father used in apprentice school right after WW2. His book, which I have, is the 18th edition, printed in 1947.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=unB...page&q&f=false

I also have a 1927 Handbook of Cast Iron Pipe.

I've somehow misplaced the WPC (Western Plumbing Code) books he had. The WPC was the precursor to the UPC.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        Ron, do you have a Buckle's book?
        Not here, looked through 5 boxes of books. To be honest I have no idea which books I have, till I look at them. I used to get these at garage sales or on Ebay.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Not here, looked through 5 boxes of books. To be honest I have no idea which books I have, till I look at them. I used to get these at garage sales or on Ebay.
          Buckle's book! That's a handy book.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

leakfree, I want that ridge jig!!!
            Last edited by Big Jim; 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Rick, I have never seen 50/50 or other solder for plumbing use that was not on a spool, metal spools in years past and plastic now. as was said, teflon was on metal spools years ago too. Not saying it didn't exist, just never saw or used it myself and I am going back into the early 70s.

The current Copper Tube Handbook is available from the CDA at www.copper.org as a PDF file.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                Rick, I have never seen 50/50 or other solder for plumbing use that was not on a spool, metal spools in years past and plastic now.
                Bob
                Send me a private message with your address and I'd send you a spoolless roll of 50/50.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                  leakfree, I want that ridge jig!!!
                  You didn't forget about it I see.
                  Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Back in the early 70's we got our 50/50 solder in 50 lb. metal spools and the hand rolled them into smaller ones,I do have some Swiff 50/50 solder flux buried away somewhere,solder dust mixed with the flux.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      Bob
                      Send me a private message with your address and I'd send you a spoolless roll of 50/50.
                      Scott
                      Thanks but I don't need any. I have a roll or two of 50/50 still hanging around in my solder bucket. I was just saying that I never saw it w/o a spool not that it didn't' exist.

I remember the solder mixed in with the flux, I think the cr@p we had was Utility, totally worthless. Only used it on one job, a 20 story hotel tower, and its use didn't last long there, maybe a week before they gave up on it.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

many of the old books are available in electronic form on Google books,

http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&tab=wp

the best used /out of print book search that I have found is,

http://used.addall.com/ it searches many other book searches, and many thousand used book sellers,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A couple I have....

The Stockham Fittings Co. used to have a warehouse in Chicago at 36th & Iron Streets. Maybe you know where that is Ron?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            A couple I have....

The Stockham Fittings Co. used to have a warehouse in Chicago at 36th & Iron Streets. Maybe you know where that is Ron?
                            Few blocks west from where I grew up http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,94.64,,0,9.43

Comment

going thrugh this thread I used that google book search to price out are new chicago plumbing code book $110.00 man I get them for $55.00 from are 130 Hall and I thought that was high I geuse not what a mark up
                              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                                going thrugh this thread I used that google book search to price out are new chicago plumbing code book $110.00 man I get them for $55.00 from are 130 Hall and I thought that was high I geuse not what a mark up
                                The Chicago Code books should only be sale by the halls, or the actual publisher. Any one else selling them is going to mark them up.

Comment

Working...
                                X