X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Code and Plumbing Books

How many of you collect old code and plumbing books. I was just showing my daughter the text book for when I went to school as an apprentice, and I came across an old Copper Tube Handbook for Plumbing and Heating. Sixth Edition 1950. Its pretty interesting read. One of the thing is they show a piece of copper that carried water to the Pharaoh's swimming pool in Egypt 54 centuries ago and it still can hold water. Also it shows the copper fittings with the holes in it. It states that they are feed holes to feed the solder into.

Another book I have is a Plumbing and Drainage Ohio Code book 1917 singed by Frank Fretcher, it also has a stamp inside stating "By order of State Printing Commission this book is sold at (20) cents per copy, postage prepaid. I have others. I will take some pictures and post them up a little later.

If anyone is interested in these books just let me know.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Old Code and Plumbing Books

I am interested.

Comment

I would love to see what codes were like in 1917....I bet it was more of a pamphlet than a book. Everything was so much more simple back in those days.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I got some old books from the 50's. Interesting to go back through. 1917?? Now that is old. Be cool to see some of the pics(if they had any).

Will
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I have a copy of Lawlers Modern Plumbing,steam and hot water heating from 1904 as well as some product manuals from the 20's and a book of plumbing fittings, pipe and such from 1918. a 1 1/2" cast tee cost 6 cents back then.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I have a copy of Lawlers Modern Plumbing,steam and hot water heating from 1904 as well as some product manuals from the 20's and a book of plumbing fittings, pipe and such from 1918. a 1 1/2" cast tee cost 6 cents back then.
            I love these older books. This Copper Tube Handbook gives design charts, and examples. Where the handbooks of today just are not full of the good information.

I have a 1950 something plumbing code book at my dad's place, I loved that book, it told you the code, the reason why they came up with the code and examples of what can go wrong if you did not follow that particular code. Todays books just tell you that it has to be done this way period, and it leaves things open to interpretation. Where lots of these older books told you the code and explained what they meant.

Comment

ron, we can buy the more expensive illustrated code book that has more info and interpretations of the code.

can someone explain how 54 centuries/ 5400 years ago they made true round hollow copper pipe

or from the photo in the 50's the solder appears to be on a plastic spool.

heck, up until the lead free solder of the late 80's all my 50/50 solder had no spool.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I would say the solder spools are metal, I still have several of them laying around. Dad use to bring teflon tape home that was on metal spools, it is much different feeling than what is available today.

Ratz.....do the code books talk of pipe dopes, red lead and linseed oil?

Comment

Now I'm tempted to search ebay and such for old plumbing books and start my own collection. Why did you get it in my head?
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

No old code books,just a 60's vintage Stringer ftg.cat.,and a 60's vintage local 130 plumbers helper pocket book.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                      Rick I would say the solder spools are metal, I still have several of them laying around. Dad use to bring teflon tape home that was on metal spools, it is much different feeling than what is available today.

Ratz.....do the code books talk of pipe dopes, red lead and linseed oil?
                      Yep

Sec. 12600-152 Wrought Iron, (Mild Steel) and Brass Pipe
                      Joints in galvanized iron, (mild steel) or brass pipe shall be standard scew joints, and all burs or cuttings shall be removed. All joints shall be made up of white or red lead or mineral paint.

Comment

Re: 1950 Copper Tube Handbook

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        And here is the Copper Handbook

That just shows just how durable copper pipe is ..That is time tested
                        It cost more because its Better

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

can someone explain how 54 centuries/ 5400 years ago they made true round hollow copper pipe

heck, up until the lead free solder of the late 80's all my 50/50 solder had no spool.
                          Rick, we can't explain how the Egyptians built the pyramids. The pipe is another question. Maybe they did use alien technology after all.

Seriously though. I went through plumbing school in 1979 and I used all kinds of 50-50 solder and it was all...... on rolls. Maybe California was a little behind the times then?
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                          X