X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Pressure test gauge

I have a city in my area that has decided to use a certified low pressure test gauge for all gas pressure tests. I can only use this brand and the gauge is only good for one year before it needs to be re certified or replaced with a new gauge (gauges have inspection certificates).

Here is the inspection gauge for up to 1 1/4" gas lines (above 1.25" I'm required to use the same brand gauge but with a 0-15 PSI range)

Anybody else deal with this?

Re: Gas Pressure test gauge

and the cost for that gauge?

not sure i agree with it. an inspector can always have a pocket tire gauge to test the line and bleed it down to a set level.

what's going to happen to old stock at the supply house? who's going to want to buy a gauge that's 6 months old

hope this trend doesn't head west

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In Texas where I've done most of my plumbing, that is the only gauge we could use. I didn't know you could use another one here in Oklahoma. What city are you talking about OkieBill?
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

nice set up, I bet that cost a pretty penny for sure.

I did the underground on a very large sprinkler job (2500' of 10" ductile), general contractor kept wanting our 200 psi hydro done with a certified gauge, could not find a 300 psi gauge to be delivered to us in time so he provided us the gauge he used on the last project his company did. It definitely was not certified. After pumping up the underground to 210 psi on his gauge went and looked at six gauges on the sprinkler risers, all read the same 175 psi (within 3 psi of each other).

If you are doing a bunch of gas line jobs at the same time might as well get another one, you will need one in the field while the second is sent off to be recalibrated.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          and the cost for that gauge?

not sure i agree with it. an inspector can always have a pocket tire gauge to test the line and bleed it down to a set level.

what's going to happen to old stock at the supply house? who's going to want to buy a gauge that's 6 months old

hope this trend doesn't head west

rick.
          Rick, the gauge costs about $70 and is good for one year (Unless you drop it and the needle bounces off the stop at which point the gauge is worthless according to the inspector)

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
            In Texas where I've done most of my plumbing, that is the only gauge we could use. I didn't know you could use another one here in Oklahoma. What city are you talking about OkieBill?
            This is the Gauge for Lawton, Oklahoma everywhere else will let me use the cheap-o Pasco gauges

Comment

A couple of cities here specify a Rogers gauge. I use a manometer and tell them to get stuffed.
              sigpic

Comment

We have to use a Kulhman gauge , they are $ 400.00 , 3 psi for house line , and 90 psi for service lines , Yes the plumbers install the service lines here - from curb stop to meter , and the gas comp inspects the line and looks at the gauge

Comment

it wasn't unusual for me to test 50 plus gas systems at a time. i don't see how it would make sense to buy that many gauges with a 1 year certification. they would pretty much expire from ruff in to final inspection.

i did have an inspector that on larger lines would do a 24 hour sealed test. better hope he showed up in the afternoon when it warmed up.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

we can use any kind of gauge and like Rick said i can have more then one test going at a time .
                    i make my own set up i use a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4 tee then on one side of the tee is a 1/2 " nipple ,ball valve then a 1/2 x 1/4 bushing and a 1/4 " nipple ,my pump hose fits on this . the other end of the tee has a 1/2 x 4 nipple ,if im testing 3/4 i have a 1/2 x 3/4 bushing for 1" i use a 1/2 x 1 bushing and so on up to 2"
                    i have 5 test kits like this because i have to keep them on jobs for some time and i will need another one on my next job .
                    at times with some inspectors i have to have a valve on each side of the gauge so he can dump the gauge to make sure the needle is not stuck
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

(Unless you drop it and the needle bounces off the stop at which point the gauge is worthless according to the inspector)
                      Its not just the inspector, but anyone who has done gauge calibration will tell you that most times a gauge will be FUBAR if you drop it. If it gets over-ranged this of course holds true too, except for dome test gauges that have overrange protection. OR a digital gauge with a transducer good to a couple thousand psi.

crystal engineering has nice digital gauges.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You guys have to test your gas lines down there?

Up here we just do the job right the 1st time so no testing is required

(Just teasing.)
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

seems kinda goofy to me. If they are really worried about accuracy then they should be advocating the use of u-tube manometers only. used properly they never require calibration and are 100% accurate all the time.
                          I use this one and have never had any problem....just gotta have some spare oil for the occasional spill
                          http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/P...m?Group_ID=251

Comment

Working...
                          X