X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could have been realy bad

I was at a customers house doing work and ran apon someting a little strange they have 2 75 gall water heaters. Befor I was in mec. room, customer was asking me a question about the noise the water heaters make I when they kick on so I asked her to show me the heaters when we whent in there I started to look I looked at the first on then I looked at the 2 one and I quickly unpluged the power vent and shut off the gas and she was like whats wrong and I showed her she was thankful as she asked mabe thats why I I have had such bad headachs lattely now I am going back and just removeing the water heater as it looks like the blower moter was damaged ?? but she doesnt what to take no chaince and she still has 1 more 75 gall water heater and half her 6 kids are grown up and gone so not as many showers anymore
    PS. the bands were on where they should have been I started to losen them and thats when I rememberd WAIT I NEED PICS FOR THE GUYS
    Attached Files
    Last edited by post plumber; 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM.
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Re: could have been realy bad

good call on the photos

looks like from the photo that it was at 1 time installed about 1/2''

why do you think that it was disconnected?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      good call on the photos

why do you think that it was disconnected?

rick.
      ya the water heater was date coded 04/2004 and it was installed at one time but the 3" pvc is about 1/2" short down and to the left so there was a lot of stress on the pvc thats probably why it came apart and yes I think only if less maybe then 1/2" of gasket was conected
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        good call on the photos

?why do you think that it was disconnected

rick.
        Didnt read whole post I am not sure why it was disconected like I just put up the 3" pvc was short so there was presure on the gascket my best geuse it just finaly let go but I could not get the pipe back on not without pulling on the pipe
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Found the exact same thing at a job a while back. Was actually there to change a W.C. and had to shut off the main to change a bad stop. Walked in the basement and found the exact same situation.
          Asked the lady if she'd been smelling gas or fumes and she said they had the local utility comp their twice and they checked and said it was just in her head, that everything in the basement was fine. I was literally in the basement for 30 seconds, glanced over and saw it, wtf.
          They had three toddlers in the house and i think the only think that helped them was that it was an old farmhouse and not real tight. The working theory is that the siding guys jostled the vent around when they had the house resided early that summer. I found it late sept when they still had windows open etc but come winter that could have been a bad deal.
          Last edited by bartnc37; 11-16-2010, 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nice find. I have only seen that issue once, it was a simple fix.

Comment

We had a big hail storm a few years back and the roofers were pulling vents loose all the time
              I could smell some thing funny as soon as i walked in the houses to repair other problems

Comment

When I install a new poewrvent heater I always have a pair of street 45º elbows and a coupling with me. Even if the heater is under warranty and less than two years old, seems the manufactures redesign the heater or the blower assembly so nothing lines up. So the pair of 45º with that coupling has saved me a lot of headaches with the exhaust piping.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  When I install a new poewrvent heater I always have a pair of street 45º elbows and a coupling with me. Even if the heater is under warranty and less than two years old, seems the manufactures redesign the heater or the blower assembly so nothing lines up. So the pair of 45º with that coupling has saved me a lot of headaches with the exhaust piping.
                  I agree as I Would rather use st45 & 45 instead of 90 for better flow on exaust
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                    I agree as I Would rather use st45 & 45 instead of 90 for better flow on exaust
                    Righto! Looked like you could have sheared off the reg. 90 at the hub put on a sweep and a longer piece . Done .
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      Righto! Looked like you could have sheared off the reg. 90 at the hub put on a sweep and a longer piece . Done .
                      ya but she had 2 - 75 gall watter heaters and that was because her husband thought he needed 2 of them because thay have 6 kids well 3 are gone now so she dosnt think she needs 2 of them and on the last pic I have it looked like the blower was melting at one point and that on was the old one as the other one was replaced a year ago so were just takeing it out and calling it a day thats what she wants and the customer is always right
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Aren't cameras awesome? how else would we be able to share all this?
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                        X