X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 year old Cast Iron vs reciprocating saw

I have to cut into an existing 4" cast line to replace a cracked section. Not risking snap cutters, the line has hairline fractures already, and if they spread a good cozy job will turn into a never-ending nightmare. Angle grinder? Too much of a fire risk in an old place like this.
    So I'm thinking, reciprocating saw it is, with diamond blade.
    Just wanted some feedback/advice from the trenches before I went in there.
    Don't be shy.

Re: 50 year old Cast Iron vs reciprocating saw

I have used snap cutters on older CI pipe with no issues. But I did use a standard Metal blade on a Recip saw on areas where I could not get the snap cutters in. Cut through it like butter.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I like to start with angle grinder and finish with sawzall with a Milwaulkie diamond blade.I use a spray bottle with diamond blade. Never had good luck with snap cutter.

wookie

Comment

I usually use the snap cutter to crush the bad CI above or below my cut, sometimes I get lucky and it makes a nice snap. Then use a regular metal cutting blade to make a clean cut. Or a channel Locks to snap off pieces, or a hammer! Tried the expensive blades for a while, they're just ok.

Comment

I do this a lot on a AF base built in the 50's. The last one I did was a 4" drain. I used a new diamond blade I had bought and it went through it quick! Like a knife thru frozen butter. The only problem is that was the only blade I bought and it took all the words etc off. Don't have any idea where I bought it! I have since looked at all the different blades and decided it was hopefully a Bosch diamond blade. They are black which mine is, so I am hoping it is the same. That is my .02.
          God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

If there are already hairline fractures, then the saw will surely aggravate the situation. I would suggest to replace as much of the line as possible.

Comment

The lennox diamond blade for cast iron works awesome. Not like a hot knife through butter. but it gets the job done just fine. you will only get about 4 cuts with 1 blade and the last one I bought was 18.00 bucks. I won't show up to a job with cast without one just encase the snappers won't fit or it might crush.

Comment

I prefer to use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Just make sure to wear the proper ppe. In a close second it is a diamond blade in the sawzall. I just do not like the snappers.

Comment

get a Press Snap™ Soil Pipe Cutter
                  http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Press-Sn...tter/index.htm
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                    I prefer to use an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Just make sure to wear the proper ppe. In a close second it is a diamond blade in the sawzall. I just do not like the snappers.

Ditto..I never like using snappers on old CI .If I do I do more rotating like cutting a piece of copper . If dealing with a real brittle piece of CI out comes the 4 1/2" angle grinder. Doesn't have to be a diamond blade . Have a couple regular cut off blades ready.Piece of cake ...
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I will let you all know how it turns out, probably gonna be this time next week.
                      Thanks everyone for the $0.02

Comment

Well, the job is done. The cut took about 40 minutes with a diamond-encrusted blade in a Ridgid Fuego recip saw....great saw BTW. Blade lasted only one cut though, sacond cut required a new blade.

Comment

Jeez that is horrible. was it a lennox blade? last week a I was watching a buddy of mine cut with one and it seemed to take longer than I thought it should but he was using a battery powered ridgid reciprocating saw I thought that was the problem. About 2 months ago I used one in a bad spot. I had to make 2 cuts over head and it went O.K. better than 40 minutes.

Comment

the blade was a milwaukee....funny thing, though, I had to make another cut the next day. My wholesaler was out of diamond blades so I tried carbide-encrusted. Worked just as good, but the carbide didn't wear off like the diamond did.

Comment

Working...
                            X