X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Charge for Research?

I do. It seems I spend considerable time online or on the phone looking for and/or identifying parts. Some of it is just to increase my general and specific knowledge to make me a better plumber. But if it's job related I keep track and charge accordingly, usually at reduced overhead.

What about you?
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Do You Charge for Research?

yes i add it into the price.

its a business I do nothing for free, but say hello how can i help you.

Comment

Do you pay your suppliers a little extra when you ask them to research something for you or hunt down a special part? If you don't then you should voluntarily do so as their research is also a sale related expense.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Lawyers charge you for every minute you have them on the phone, research and anything else related to your case. I do add it into my pricing for the job as well.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We don't...but we should.

Comment

Lets just say it is not on the bill per say, but I get my money for it

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Do you pay your suppliers a little extra when you ask them to research something for you or hunt down a special part? If you don't then you should voluntarily do so as their research is also a sale related expense.
              I disagree, a salesman's job is to find the right part for the job their customer has. Their job is to know the industry and give their professional advice on how to handle the situation and what parts to use. If they don't know what part their customer needs it's their job to research it and find it. If not their customer will go to some one else that can help them.

Comment

Sales men sell parts thats their job
                Plumbers sell time .. if i have to find odd parts there is a fee

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  I disagree, a salesman's job is to find the right part for the job their customer has. Their job is to know the industry and give their professional advice on how to handle the situation and what parts to use. If they don't know what part their customer needs it's their job to research it and find it. If not their customer will go to some one else that can help them.
                  Dan, I completely agree with you. On the other hand, can't every single point you raised also be applied, in this case, to a plumber. Should a plumbers customer or any customer for that matter, have to pay extra to the provider of a service for that provider to educate themselves when they are already supposed to be the professional? I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just speaking as someone who was on the other side of that fence once upon a time.

As for hiding a charge somewhere in the bill and not openly listing it,.... I think there is a little moral problem with that. If the charge is legitimate why hide it?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Its not hiddon in my bills. I will make a note on the invoice for my time spent on their job.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Should a plumbers customer or any customer for that matter, have to pay extra to the provider of a service for that provider to educate themselves when they are already supposed to be the professional?
                      This last summer I paid a lawyer for his time to educate himself on certain aspects of law. I don't know a single plumber who knows everything. I know that many of the stems plumbers post pictures of on this message board, I can't identify off the top of my head. I feel if I'm spending time to find a stem I can charge. However, for instance, if someone asks me a general knowledge type question about what type of device would best be used in a specific situation I wouldn't charge for my time to learn about that.

Whether or not a business charges for research time is a business decision which each business should make on its own.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Dan, I completely agree with you. On the other hand, can't every single point you raised also be applied, in this case, to a plumber. Should a plumbers customer or any customer for that matter, have to pay extra to the provider of a service for that provider to educate themselves when they are already supposed to be the professional? I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just speaking as someone who was on the other side of that fence once upon a time.

As for hiding a charge somewhere in the bill and not openly listing it,.... I think there is a little moral problem with that. If the charge is legitimate why hide it?
                        Let us tread lightly lest we get into the (dare I say it), flat rate/t&m discussion.
                        I don't charge for educating myself. I understand how the faucet works and what it needs. What I don't know is who sells the eclectic little part that's gone bad and it takes considerable time to locate them sometimes. As for hiding the charge, I don't do that either. It's labor. Of course, I don't list labor on my invoices. All the customer ever sees is itemized material (without prices) and a grand total listed as "TOTAL FOR SERVICE AND MATERIAL"
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I actually don't charge for research but now that I read this, I think I should.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Man I feel lucky which I allways new but where I am at we call one guy at office who is good at finding the littlest and stupidest things to just a plain water heater thats closest to were we are calls them and makes sure they have it and we go get it
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

No. I do research for people here on the forum all the time and expect nothing in return. However a thank you now and then never hurts of which I received many over the years.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X