Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeowners scare me

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Homeowners scare me

    Today i was sent to a new customers house to go look at a water heater to see what was wrong with it. When i first arrived the wife had told me the husband had bought and installed the water heater himself due to the fact that gas water heaters were more efficient then electric. Well when she showed me where the water heater was im sure my jaw hit the ground. The husband had hooked up the gas and water lines but did not have an exauhst. He just had a window open and was letting it vent into the basement and out the window. I turned off the water heater.... and am now in the process of trying to sell a power venter due to the fact he has no chimney......

  • #2
    Re: Homeowners scare me

    Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
    Today i was sent to a new customers house to go look at a water heater to see what was wrong with it. When i first arrived the wife had told me the husband had bought and installed the water heater himself due to the fact that gas water heaters were more efficient then electric. Well when she showed me where the water heater was im sure my jaw hit the ground. The husband had hooked up the gas and water lines but did not have an exauhst. He just had a window open and was letting it vent into the basement and out the window. I turned off the water heater.... and am now in the process of trying to sell a power venter due to the fact he has no chimney......
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Homeowners scare me

      all I would have to say to her is get that shirt that says
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Homeowners scare me

        Ideal Plumbing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Homeowners scare me

          Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
          Today i was sent to a new customers house to go look at a water heater to see what was wrong with it. When i first arrived the wife had told me the husband had bought and installed the water heater himself due to the fact that gas water heaters were more efficient then electric. Well when she showed me where the water heater was im sure my jaw hit the ground. The husband had hooked up the gas and water lines but did not have an exauhst. He just had a window open and was letting it vent into the basement and out the window. I turned off the water heater.... and am now in the process of trying to sell a power venter due to the fact he has no chimney......
          You shut the water heater off? Interfering with natural selection process is bad ju ju. You can always turn it back on and restore the natural order.
          Time flies like an arrow.

          Fruit flies like a banana.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Homeowners scare me

            Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            You shut the water heater off? Interfering with natural selection process is bad ju ju. You can always turn it back on and restore the natural order.
            only problem with that is it would take out the wife (and maybe some kids) too and its not their fault. but maybe that was his intent as he left the WH running and was not home himself to breathe the toxic fumes.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Homeowners scare me

              This was in a house that had not been lived in for some time, there was no place it could have ever been hooked up to,

              the lady that lived there made it 91 years, and die to complications of falling down the stairs, not the hot water heater,
              Attached Files
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Homeowners scare me

                Chimneys are so overrated

                Ever in a tight house I doubt there would be enough CO from a new water heater to kill you. You might be sick as hell though and wish you were dead.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Homeowners scare me

                  Originally posted by mtburdick View Post
                  Today i was sent to a new customers house to go look at a water heater to see what was wrong with it...
                  ...hmm... that reminds me of the time when I .... PRANKED MY PLUMBER!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Homeowners scare me

                    Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Chimneys are so overrated

                    Ever in a tight house I doubt there would be enough CO from a new water heater to kill you. You might be sick as hell though and wish you were dead.

                    A typical gas water heater which is normally vented to the outside is ~ 40,000 BTUs. A gas stove which vents freely into the home when all four cooktop burners are on, and the oven is operating (Thanksgiving day) is ~ 100,000 BTUs.

                    The thing is, the greater the number of unvented appliances that can operate simultaneously, the greater the risk you take.

                    The upside is, all the moisture that's liberated during combustion helps humidify the dry air in the winter.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

                    Fruit flies like a banana.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Homeowners scare me

                      Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      only problem with that is it would take out the wife (and maybe some kids) too and its not their fault. but maybe that was his intent as he left the WH running and was not home himself to breathe the toxic fumes.

                      That would be downright devilish of him.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

                      Fruit flies like a banana.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Homeowners scare me

                        I hate to say it but the Amish don't vent their propane waterheaters.

                        They think it is a waste of money to let that good heat out of the house. It is very common.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Homeowners scare me

                          Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          I hate to say it but the Amish don't vent their propane waterheaters.

                          They think it is a waste of money to let that good heat out of the house. It is very common.
                          What the Amish use water heaters? Who knew.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

                          Fruit flies like a banana.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X