Charlotte President weighs in on PVC vs. CI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte President weighs in on PVC vs. CI

I just found this article online and found it very interesting.

It's from July, so I apologize if this has been posted before.

Lots of technical information here.

http://www.pmengineer.com/Articles/F...s-Gone-Too-Far

-Chris

Re: Charlotte President weighs in on PVC vs. CI

The building that we are doing now was spec'd for PVC W+V,but they are going to have all of the waste lines insulated with fiberglass to control the sound of the waste traveling thru the pipes,larger holes cored,twice the hangers,over size hangers,labor to insulate the pipe.Makes you wonder if N/H or B+S c.i. was ever even looked at by the arch./engineer.
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Some of it I can agree with. Other parts get some "fuzzy-logic" installed in his article. Sounds like their getting killed on the CI.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
        I just found this article online and found it very interesting.

It's from July, so I apologize if this has been posted before.

Lots of technical information here.

http://www.pmengineer.com/Articles/F...s-Gone-Too-Far

-Chris
        What a load of crap a has been industry trying to protect itself I haven`t touched cast iron in twenty years.

Tony

Comment

Don't they make both CI and PVC so don't they win whichever way you go? I guess the profit margin is higher on the CI so they are pushing it.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I agree with some of it. Plumbing has gotten so cheap with plastics. Like CPVC, PEX, etc. Never really thought DWV PVC was a problem though. Don't see how Cast Iron would out perform DWV PVC unground.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I do agree with some like high rises and condos mulyi story buildings as I have found numerus leaks from pvc joints that broke from building shifting or setteling
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                I agree with some of it. Plumbing has gotten so cheap with plastics. Like CPVC, PEX, etc. Never really thought DWV PVC was a problem though. Don't see how Cast Iron would out perform DWV PVC unground.
                what makes you think the CI push is performance driven? For Charlotte its all about profit. Oil is expensive, scrap iron is cheap.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

why would the ceo of the company rag on his own product head to head

what he didn't bother to mention is the long term trouble free interior cleanliness that plastic provides. this is true even on systems with some back fall. plastic out performs c/i 10 to 1 in drain cleaning maintenance.

plastic pretty much takes away the drain cleaning and stoppages associated with c/i.

my house is no hub waste with abs vents and original clay from outside the house to the center of the street/ city main.

plumbers that work with both plastic and n/h will tell you that plastic takes more skill to properly install a clean system.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X