Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat pump water heaters

has any one put one in you

i did last week with a 70 gal storage tank . we started up the unit and 3hr later the water was only 70* . the best part is that the home owner does not want the electric element to come on to save money .
    i left the job after 3 hr of run time and i wounder ho long it took to heat up ,we did shut off the storage tank for the night so the heater would heat up .

i was told that the recovery time is long for this unit and now with the element not on i dont think the unit would ever shut off when the storage tank is open
    also it puts out cold air because it is getting the heat from the basement and i said to hin now you going to use more heat now

we also put in a smart tank so when we puts in solar panels next year this will also heat the water and dont ask me about what i think about solar panels and how they work up here in PA ,i dont like it

if you ever put one in tell what you think about them
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Heat pump water heaters

Solar, HPWH, Tankless, Ground Source Heat Pump, etc.

It's all mostly B.S. manufacturer propaganda. Then people modify their behavior to accommodate whatever system they insisted on putting in because their ego can't let them say they were wrong about it.

Can't have the standard or boring norm anymore. Got to have this $$$$ unit that has the highest EER. With multiple management systems & sensors that also need care. And the m'fing CONTROL BOARD! It's the CONTROL BOARD!

Long as it's got an LED information screen with "User Friendly Adjustments", labeled "Green", or "Hybrid" then all is good though.

God help you all encountering any one with cable/dish TV, the internet, and a college degree. The tri-fecta! They will always feel "smarter" than you and can collect all of the information to come to a "better" conclusion.

Just put in whatever they saw on DIY, HGTV, or Holmes on Homes. Make it on the install and the extra maintenance that's coming.

Doesn't have to make sense in any grand scheme of things. They sell every Ferrari.

J.C.

Comment

Not much heat to gain from a cold basement in PA and now it needs heat to make up for the cold air the HPWH created.

Perfect example of where they don't belong.

Comment

JC just say whats on your mind and dont hold back ok lol

your right the person i put this in for works on computers and got a lot of info off the web so he is better then us

so i will see on Monday how it did ,i will post what happened
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have one on a regular 66 gallon AO Smith heater for my house and it works great. I installed it last winter to get off propane. We have 4 small kids and my wife and I and it keeps up fine. It runs off 110v/ 900 watts and heats it to 130 degrees. I do set the 220v thermostat @ 110 degrees but it hardly ever comes on. If it does it recovers quick with 2 heat sorces. It has easily reduced our electric bill 25-30 dollars per month. You can pipe the cool air out in the winter and in for the summer with a duct kit. I think you can get about 6000 BTU of cooling. With a 50 gallon tank it will have a 42 gallon first hour rating. With the unit I used you can convert any water heater with it, even gas. I like it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
            Not much heat to gain from a cold basement in PA and now it needs heat to make up for the cold air the HPWH created.

Perfect example of where they don't belong.
            They are still 150% efficient @ 32 degrees and 260% @ 68 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
              I have one on a regular 66 gallon AO Smith heater for my house and it works great. I installed it last winter to get off propane. We have 4 small kids and my wife and I and it keeps up fine. It runs off 110v/ 900 watts and heats it to 130 degrees. I do set the 220v thermostat @ 110 degrees but it hardly ever comes on. If it does it recovers quick with 2 heat sorces. It has easily reduced our electric bill 25-30 dollars per month. You can pipe the cool air out in the winter and in for the summer with a duct kit. I think you can get about 6000 BTU of cooling. With a 50 gallon tank it will have a 42 gallon first hour rating. With the unit I used you can convert any water heater with it, even gas. I like it so far.
              Did you put on one of the aftermarket "boxes" on top? Saw them somewhere.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Did you put on one of the aftermarket "boxes" on top? Saw them somewhere.

Thanks.

J.C.
                I did. It was an Air Generate Air Tap. Looks like an AC unit with a coil that goes in the tank. I have a guy I have worked with that has installed about 30 and has had a great response from customers.

Comment

What's the material cost for the add on unit? Roughly.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I saw the units online for around 500.00. I paid 600 I think from the factory. Qualifies for the 30% tax credit and I think energy star rebate along with local utility rebates. Payback should be 2.5 years for a customer. That is better than any other energy effieciency upgrade I have seen. I think windows are a 15-20 year payback and HF furnace is around 8 years.

Comment

I saw the units online for around 500.00. I paid 600 I think from the factory. Qualifies for the 30% tax credit and I think energy star rebate along with local utility rebates. Payback should be 2.5 years for a customer. That is better than any other energy effieciency upgrade I have seen. I think windows are a 15-20 year payback and HF furnace is around 8 years.
                      Thanks. Glad to hear a review. This is one of the ones I looked at but couldn't find anyone that had one to get any input.

J.C.

Comment

At this website http://www.airgenerate.com/ I ran a calculation for a family of three with water being heated by gas. The savings for my zip code would be $100 per year. So assuming a cost of $500 plus installation parts, plus labor, plus wiring costs, plus a little markup on the Airtap itself? I can see where you would be at $1000. That's a 10 year payback.

The savings increases to $133 per year if 4 people live in the house so payback is improved with increased demand.

The payback improves considerably in our area if the water heater is electric to begin with. Savings with 3 people in that case is $343 per year.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          At this website http://www.airgenerate.com/ I ran a calculation for a family of three with water being heated by gas. The savings for my zip code would be $100 per year. So assuming a cost of $500 plus installation parts, plus labor, plus wiring costs, plus a little markup on the Airtap itself? I can see where you would be at $1000. That's a 10 year payback.

The savings increases to $133 per year if 4 people live in the house so payback is improved with increased demand.

The payback improves considerably in our area if the water heater is electric to begin with. Savings with 3 people in that case is $343 per year.
                          You are not taking in consideration of any the rebates. 30% off the 1000.00 you quoted would be 700. Then there are energy star that might be 100 and local @ 50-100 more. It does depend on the area for the cost difference in energy sources. My energy savings on the calculator was around 365.00. So far it seems accurate.

Comment

They are still 150% efficient @ 32 degrees and 260% @ 68 degrees.
                            Remember those calcs are comparing to electric resistance heating (element)

Otherwise with those numbers it would be spitting out cash right?

Efficiency and recovery, two different things
                            Last edited by Lee H; 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

No. It is like paying 3.75 a KW instead of 10.00. It is 250% efficient and has a recovery x amount of gallons per hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X