X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EPA Lead safety.

There is a Ridgid version of a vac available for this purpose. It's the RV2400HF and is available online at www.homedepot.com under sku 593167 or Home Depots can special order them in store. It meets the government requirements for RRP rules.

Comment

I don't want to get into all this EPA stuff, but there is something to be said about safely working around lead in my opinion. I worked as a telco lineman for many years and often handled lead sheathed cables. I would urge anyone worked with lead for an extended period of time to wear gloves. Not everyone realizes that your skin is your largest organ and absorbs many toxins, including lead. Overall I do agree that the government goes way overboard with lead, asbestos and mercury. I remember as a kid, breaking thermometers and swishing mercury around with my fingers. I know mercury is dangerous, but never knew of a single person getting ill this way. A couple of years ago, they shut down a high school in my area because a thermometer broke in a science class. You would have thought a deadly nerve gas was released by the way it was handled.

Comment

Hey EPA
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What are the effects of lead pois........what were we talking about?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            What are the effects of lead pois........what were we talking about?
            They did routine blood work on us to check for lead levels and chest xrays to monitor for asbestos damage. I copied the following off the Internet, but I believe lead poisoning in adults is mostly a problem with the blood (anemia).

"Elevated lead in the body can be detected by the presence of changes in blood cells visible with a microscope and dense lines in the bones of children seen on X-ray. However, the main tool for diagnosis is measurement of the blood lead level; different treatments are used depending on this level. The major treatments are removal of the source of lead and chelation therapy (administration of agents that bind lead so it can be excreted).

Humans have been mining and using this heavy metal for thousands of years, poisoning themselves in the process. Although lead poisoning is one of the oldest known work and environmental hazards, the modern understanding of the small amount of lead necessary to cause harm did not come about until the latter half of the 20th century. No safe threshold for lead exposure has been discovered—that is, there is no known amount of lead that is too small to cause the body harm."

Comment

Over the years I have worked with lead, asbestos, mercury and god only knows what else. Never took any unusual precautions either. Have my blood tested pretty regular and nothing shows up at all. Personally I think a lot of this stuff is crap that is blown out of proportion so somebody can make money.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                Ayn Rand in atlas shrugged. Had a peice about making enough laws so nobody could follow them making everybody a criminal. I've heard we have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners.
                I finished "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand a couple of years ago. It was a life changer for me...

Comment

Oh, I have to be careful cuase I work with it. Thanks for reminding
                  Every day's Tool Promotion | Choose a String Trimmer for your garden!

Comment

Working...
                  X