Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EPA Lead safety.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EPA Lead safety.

    This last week I took a lead contractor class which is mandated by the EPA. If I wasn't disgusted by the lack of efficiency of the Federal Government before this week, I am now.

    The instructor stated up front that only 5% of all lead poisoning cases are caused by construction /remodeling. Which means 95% of the cases are not caused by contractors. He went on to say 85% of all lead poisoning would be prevented if parents did three things. Provided proper nutritional diet for their children, dust regularly and clean the house regularly. It turns out that it's not easy for the body to absorb lead, and unless the child is undernourished most lead ingested goes through the digestive tract. His conclusion was that the lead safe contractor program is going to actually prevent very few lead poisoning cases.

    Why should you care? Because if you do plumbing repair or renovation work in homes built prior to 1978 it's going to cost you time and money, or else face the risk of fine of $32,500 per day per violation. Now, I can absolutely get behind investing my time and money to improve the public health. I resent, however, being coerced into spending time and money to try and meet criteria which are ludicrous and which will ultimately provide little or no benefit other than provide a reason for the existence of another government beaurocrat.

    I paid $300 to take a class and lost a day of work to get certified as an RRP so I can pay the government another $300 to be a certified lead safe contractor. I won't bore you with the myriad of other paperwork details, equipment to be purchased, and requirements other than to say your paperwork just increased, or if not, your exposure to large fines from the U.S. government increased. The EPA (thank God) doesn't have the funding to enforce this right now, but that day is coming. In the near future cities here are supposed to check into lead safe issues before issuing permits.

    http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovaterightbrochure.pdf

    Suggestion: If you're going to work in an area larger than six square feet in a pre '78 home, and you have a homeowner who wants to do the demolition you'll save on both paperwork and risk.

    D'OH!
    Time flies like an arrow.

    Fruit flies like a banana.

  • #2
    Re: EPA Lead safety.

    not interested in the class or the work.

    now who's interseted in a hepa vac made for this work? it's a pullman -holt commercial unit.

    i'll post a photo later.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: EPA Lead safety.

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      not interested in the class or the work.

      now who's interseted in a hepa vac made for this work? it's a pullman -holt commercial unit.

      i'll post a photo later.

      rick.
      What do the replacement filters cost?
      Time flies like an arrow.

      Fruit flies like a banana.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: EPA Lead safety.

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        not interested in the class or the work.


        rick.
        Rick, I'm not interested in the work either. However, if you cut open the wall guess who's responsible for any lead contamination found there?
        Time flies like an arrow.

        Fruit flies like a banana.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: EPA Lead safety.

          i'll do the plumbing. let the owner call in a demo company. just like the asbestos companies of years past.

          it's all bs. same with 95% of the mold stuff.

          don't get me started with mold

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: EPA Lead safety.

            I did the class a couple months back. total waste of money and my time and furthermore it is just another clever scheme to milk more money out of contractors and homeowners over an issue that has never been an issue, just like asbestos was in the 80's. Those idiots in Washington wonder why housing prices have escalated and it's these BS regulations that play a major part along with mandated residential sprinklers by 2012

            GET THE DAMN GOVERNMENT AND ALL THESE HOLIER THAN THOU LIBERALS OFF MY BACK!
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: EPA Lead safety.

              Ahh. Another case of the g'vment doing something under the guise of SAFETY.

              This has nothing to do with safety, or prevention of any lead poisoning.

              They don't care about the fines.

              This is about money. Why the huge fines? To scare you into jumping through their hoops, and paying into this.

              They are going to make a boatload just off first getting people certified, then the renewal fees.

              SAFETY. I like it, it's like their little cheat code for scamming the population out of more money.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: EPA Lead safety.

                Ayn Rand in atlas shrugged. Had a peice about making enough laws so nobody could follow them making everybody a criminal. I've heard we have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: EPA Lead safety.

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i'll do the plumbing. let the owner call in a demo company. just like the asbestos companies of years past.

                  it's all bs. same with 95% of the mold stuff.

                  don't get me started with mold

                  rick.

                  I'm with Rick,if we see anything questionable related to asbestos/mold/lead,we point it out to the general and they take care of it,99.99% of the time it's not in our scope of work.
                  Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: EPA Lead safety.

                    Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    Ayn Rand in atlas shrugged. Had a peice about making enough laws so nobody could follow them making everybody a criminal. I've heard we have 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners.
                    Good book, by the way. Also liked "We the living" and "Fountainhead". Who is John Galt, anyway.




                    China does not have a prison overcrowding problem. They just shoot'em.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: EPA Lead safety.

                      When blaming our government, one must be specific. Will Rogers would have no problem identifying the culprit, CONGRESS!

                      As for dealing with this new legal hurtle, be careful. One can be fined and imprisoned if found demoing gypsum board, plaster or wood impregnated with lead. The federal law applies to areas greater than 6 sq. ft. In California it's 2 sq. ft.
                      My solution echoes Rick's. Don't touch it. Let the GC or demo guy do it. If they complain, I just state that my company is not certified to do demo work.
                      I'm not going to lose any sleep over not being able to cut holes in walls any more than I do over not being able to excavate outside the property line.
                      In my area, a number of property managers are getting certified, so they won't have to pay specialists to cut holes in their walls.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: EPA Lead safety.

                        Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        When blaming our government, one must be specific. Will Rogers would have no problem identifying the culprit, CONGRESS!

                        As for dealing with this new legal hurtle, be careful. One can be fined and imprisoned if found demoing gypsum board, plaster or wood impregnated with lead. The federal law applies to areas greater than 6 sq. ft. In California it's 2 sq. ft.
                        My solution echoes Rick's. Don't touch it. Let the GC or demo guy do it. If they complain, I just state that my company is not certified to do demo work.
                        I'm not going to lose any sleep over not being able to cut holes in walls any more than I do over not being able to excavate outside the property line.
                        In my area, a number of property managers are getting certified, so they won't have to pay specialists to cut holes in their walls.
                        I'm considering going a different route. Maybe the pile of crap regulations can be turned into a positive. (Uh huh ) by letting customers know you can do this extra bit the government requires. For THEIR safety of course. Anyone want some lemonade?
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: EPA Lead safety.

                          This is why contractors DON'T pull permits ! I'm A Lic. G.C. ,all the insurance, comp. Liability the system demands. This will just make
                          Many, just bore further underground, especially in this economy!
                          Haven't taken the class yet myself. Maybe T.S.A. can enforce the lead
                          along with the pantys!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: EPA Lead safety.

                            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            This is why contractors DON'T pull permits ! I'm A Lic. G.C. ,all the insurance, comp. Liability the system demands. This will just make
                            Many, just bore further underground, especially in this economy!
                            Haven't taken the class yet myself. Maybe T.S.A. can enforce the lead
                            along with the pantys!
                            Tool, Are you saying you have lead in your a$$?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: EPA Lead safety.

                              I will not be doing this class myself. In my town, there are very few houses that were built before 1978. I agree with the others who say that this is just the government trying to make more money off of us.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X