X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 400 faucet poor new design?!

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? This is the 2nd experience I've had with a Delta 400 in a week.

This last week I installed a Delta 400 polished chrome kitchen faucet with a hand held spray mounted on the side. When I was checking for leaks and operating the faucet for the first time I couldn't help but notice that when I rotated the faucet spout the handheld sprayer would move too!! When I let go of the spout when it was at the end of it's travel it also swung back a little untill the tension in the hose tubing was relieved.

In this iteration of the Delta 400 the supply tubes leading into the faucet are now plastic, as well as all the exposed hand held sprayer tubing. I don't think the plastic is attached securely or rigidly to the faucet body so when the spout is rotated some of the torsional force is transmitted to the spray assembly through the hose.

I pointed this out to the customer and offered to change the faucet. She decided she could get used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEDVuyAWE9E

I can no longer recommend this faucet.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Delta 400 faucet poor new design?!

I have to say I honestly haven't payed that close of attention to the new ones. Have to thank Cali. & the no lead rules for the supply change.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. Hate those quick connect hoses. Make me nervous.

I run the hot water through the sprayer for a good amount of time on any new install to relax the hose & kind of get it into position.

Wonder if the move will go away in time?

J.C.

Comment

Have to agree with JC I have never payed attention but now I will start watching all
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Run the HOT water through the hand held spray for awhile, as this will loosen up the spray hose.

Comment

The DST series is garbage. Take one apart and you will agree. It is rather like the early low flush toilets, manufactures have to put something on the market that meets new codes or lose their market presence. Delta isn't going to tell all the wholesalers and big boxes in California, "Sorry, we have nothing to sell you". Delta is not alone in rushing products to market that would have been better left on the drawing board.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Run the HOT water through the hand held spray for awhile, as this will loosen up the spray hose.
            The problem isn't with the stiffness of the spray hose. So running hot water won't correct the issue. The root cause of the problem is the lack of support between the faucet body and the supply hoses.

Think about it. All I'm moving in the video is the spout. What is attached to the spray hose that physically connects to the spout? My answer is NOTHING. The spout is supposed to be held onto the faucet body barrel by the bonnet/cap nut and leaks prevented by the upper and lower O-rings.

Crappity crap crap crap.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Since Delta started making the changes I refuse to use their products. They are cheap, look cheap, feel cheap etc. etc. Delta screwed up in my opinion. Other companies are dealing with the lead laws also but haven't gone to changing their products into cheap all plastic garbage like Delta did.

Comment

I fear that within 10 years all faucets will be cheap plastic crap but why not? Everything else that comes off the plumbing shelves lately is. It may to some extent be lead laws but I suspect a lot of it is cost savings. You note that though they are now using plastic and inexpensive parts the price of the faucets has'nt gone down has it
                sigpic

Comment

Are supplier is still selling the real delta ..Its the home crapo selling the plastic line version with the 50$ cartridge its crap from both ends

Comment

Ferguson and other suppliers around here are selling the ALL PLASTIC kitchen and lavy faucets with the pex supplies. I bought ONE, returned it. I refuse to install it. I've had customers provide the same, I refuse to install them. Each one has been returned and I've installed another brand. Delta better bring back their old quality because if not they're doomed to lose market share in my opinion.

Comment

I haven't ran into these all plastic ones yet. Thanks for the tip.

J.C.

Comment

I have been led to believe by contacts at Moen and Delta that on a rolling basis, ALL their products will be converted to lead compliant. In both cases, that means with the ceramic cartridge and pre-attached flex supplies. Moen is pretty much there, it seems that faucet like the non-DST 400 series may still be available, but I don't know for how long.

Chicago Faucet and T&S Brass have converted to most products made from the California Brass. At their price point, they can absorb the extra cost, which on a residential faucet line, you really can't. Globe Union ( seasons,glacier bay, gerber, danze, etc) is using resin composite shanks on low end, plastic lined brass parts on middle grade, and California brass on the top line products.

Comment

Thanks to the new Cali lead laws I have hundreds of Chicago faucets at the school district that I cannot get rebuild kits for.

Comment

Its a shame the government takes the good stuff out of are hands
                            And wants us to use the plastic junk for the same price
                            Last edited by DELCASE; 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM.

Comment

It is also a shame that most manufacturers turn to plastic rather than low lead brass alloys (think Chicago & T&S here). Companies like Chicago and T&S sell to the same customers over and over, customers who know that the valves will be operated by pearl divers who will shut the water off by smacking the handle with a pan, who expect quality and will change brands if they turn to junk. Most manufactures need something that will look good on the display board and compete pricewise with the Chinese faucet next to it. Until the public gets fed up with garbage faucets wearing tuxedo T-shirts manufactures will provide what the market dictates.

Comment

Working...
                              X