X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Snake Call !

Had a customer call today and ask me to snake out his Well !!!

Galvanized casing , he says deposits keep the pump from going in

I would think a Chain Knocker but have NOT committed to doing it ...

Contamination Issues

Would any of you guys take this job ?

Re: Weird Snake Call !

I think he is probably mistaken. A shift in the rock or casing shift/break maybe.

But not sediment buildup. I'd be more inclined to clean the camera good and go take a look.

Go from there with pump options & disinfect/chlorinate.

J.C.

Comment

There is no way I would touch that one! His well may be polluted already and is looking for someone else to pay for it!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I ran a 5/16" cable through a 75 y/o 3/4" lead water service the other day.

Did it from inside the house and at the roundway where we had dug it up. 60' total.

The line was packed with sediment from old city well water.

In Chicago, there is enough chlorine in the water that I'm not too worried about it. We told the owner to boil any drinking water for 48 hours. Not too many people drink the city water though anyways.

I dunno about a well though...

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          I ran a 5/16" cable through a 75 y/o 3/4" lead water service the other day.

Did it from inside the house and at the roundway where we had dug it up. 60' total.

The line was packed with sediment from old city well water.

In Chicago, there is enough chlorine in the water that I'm not too worried about it. We told the owner to boil any drinking water for 48 hours. Not too many people drink the city water though anyways.

I dunno about a well though...

-Chris
          I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding your post. Are you saying you employed a cable to snake out a city water service line that has been previously used in soil and waste lines?

I would have sprung for a brand new cable and maybe even a new drum and soaked them in bleach for a while before using them. (New cables have an oily coating). What the heck we buy new cables and drums at varying times anyway.

Who would have been responsible if the cable happened to penetrate the side wall of the lead service?
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

At first, I thought you said get A snake out of the well! That would be a call for Billy the Exterminator!

Some jobs bite, his job bites back! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CD8Q9QEwAw

Comment

keep in mind the dead weight of a cable and the depth of the well.

my machine would be a jetter with a descaling head similar to a warthog.

it's clean water that would be used for jetting and the hose is easy to clean. plus i can do 500' and still pull it back out.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding your post. Are you saying you employed a cable to snake out a city water service line that has been previously used in soil and waste lines?

I would have sprung for a brand new cable and maybe even a new drum and soaked them in bleach for a while before using them. (New cables have an oily coating). What the heck we buy new cables and drums at varying times anyway.

Who would have been responsible if the cable happened to penetrate the side wall of the lead service?

The cable was new and was not spinning more than 20-30 RPM per minute. My pistol rod seldom gets used. I use the K-50 with drum attachments. I think that there is probably more nastiness in her 10 y/o water heater.

There was about 0% chance of penetrating the wall of the lead service. Plain end, no hook on the cable. We used a fish tape first at the direction of the water department...it was the water department's fish tape too.

Of course I would have been responsible for replacing the lead. We were there with a backhoe and a 60' roll of soft copper (we dug it up at the roundway). But this way was much more inexpensive than replacing 50' of 3/4" water service. We were in and out in about 6 hours including inspection and backfill.

At 50 psi, there won't be any debris left in the pipe. We flushed the line out from the house (had the neighbor's sillcock connected to our customers) for 15 minutes before repairing and turning the main back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                  The cable was new and was not spinning more than 20-30 RPM per minute. My pistol rod seldom gets used. I use the K-50 with drum attachments. I think that there is probably more nastiness in her 10 y/o water heater.

There was about 0% chance of penetrating the wall of the lead service. Plain end, no hook on the cable. We used a fish tape first at the direction of the water department...it was the water department's fish tape too.

Of course I would have been responsible for replacing the lead. We were there with a backhoe and a 60' roll of soft copper (we dug it up at the roundway). But this way was much more inexpensive than replacing 50' of 3/4" water service. We were in and out in about 6 hours including inspection and backfill.

At 50 psi, there won't be any debris left in the pipe. We flushed the line out from the house (had the neighbor's sillcock connected to our customers) for 15 minutes before repairing and turning the main back on.
                  I had a situation in Minneapolis where I asked the water department if I could run a fishtape out to the corp cock to knock off the carbuncle that must have been growing there. I was flatly refused.

A new 3/4" K copper service had been installed in the mid 60's if I recall. Now the water volume is so low when I replaced the street side shutoff ahead of the meter the water only bubbled up 3-4 inches.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I do not know the depth of the well or the size of the casing,

but first I would drop a camera down the well to see the actual condition,

I made a well camera with a "SUV back up camera head", (off of Ebay for $25 this was a few years ago, and some what like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...ltDomainQ5f100 ), and bought a length of close circuit TV wire, (it has the power feed and the coax, in one line), and used a old TV for a monitor, and checked out my SIL well last year, the set up was about $100 bill for the wire and the camera, and it was 300 feet down), some what like this but longer for my application, http://cgi.Ebay.com/20Meter-RCA-Powe...item255f2c3b25 and I also bought a small power supply for a few bucks,
                    (NOTE: I am not endorsing any of the ebay sellers or do I have any affiliation to any of them just showing what I did in my instance)
                    NOTE: one can fine the camera and cable on amazon and other places as well.

one can use a mirror and catch the sun light direct a beam of sun light down in the well, and if the well is straight can see the first 50 to 100 feet reasonable easy if the well is straight, with out any TV or other, if the pipe is out,

but if it was insisted on cleaning the casing (I would most likely make the suggestion to the well owner, to try the method below),

but I would be inclined to make an adapter to turn a piece of pipe, coupling with a bolt or shaft welded in it, say 3/8" or 1/2" in 10' (5 foot would be easer to handle but take more times of adding pipe) or so lengths, and make a head weld a short chain about the width of the casing onto a pipe coupling, then make a U shaped plate with the slot the same as the pipe, that way one can catch it if it drops or slips, use a good drill to spin the pipe with the custom made chain knocker on it, and use a step ladder to lower the pipe in the well spinning and knocking off any thing, (or make an adapter to use the drain cleaning heads that would screw on to the pipe,

but if the pump is that tight that a few crusties will keep it from going in, my guess is if he does get it in he will never remove it in the future,

I have seen roots in a well casing before tho, about 15 to 20 foot down,
                    Last edited by BHD; 11-26-2010, 05:38 PM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      I had a situation in Minneapolis where I asked the water department if I could run a fishtape out to the corp cock to knock off the carbuncle that must have been growing there. I was flatly refused.

A new 3/4" K copper service had been installed in the mid 60's if I recall. Now the water volume is so low when I replaced the street side shutoff ahead of the meter the water only bubbled up 3-4 inches.
                      We went both ways from the roundway to the house (copper from the 80's) and back to the corp cock (lead from the 50's). The mineral content in the well water (city/well mix) causes issues like this in this particular town a lot. They;re ok with getting creative. The whole idea was to save the owner some $$. If we were to have to run a new line, we would have had to open the street, tap 1" at the main and run a new 1" copper service. Big Money. As it is we probably saved her about $6-7K.

Comment

I am not going to do it ... I'll stick my specialties ...

Thanks for all the replies ...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X