Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    There is no warranty on customer provided equipment. If you want warranty service from me buy from me.
    yup, people want to save a dollar or two or think they are and go buy their own supplies don't realize that the mark-up is part of the profit and warranty...I've had clients going directly to my suppliers trying to take my discount away from me, that just doesn't go over well...we have a company saying "99% of customers who supply their own products install it themselves"...and that 1% we install we don't warranty...

I know some companies have a, b and c lines with different product names and they even come out of the same plant and sometimes there is a difference besides cosmetic appearance, that old rule of thumb usually holds true..."you get what you pay for"

Comment

Classic example happened this week.

Motel 6 without hot water needs a special pump to get the boiler working again. Their backup boiler has been down 6 months and they failed to take action on it. I price everything up and tell the regional manager the hot water can be on again within 24 hours with an overnight shipment from my supplier. Says my parts pricing is too high. He decides to get the parts at half what I'm charging and call me to install. He also wanted me to provide part numbers....no way!

2 wrong pumps and 4 days without hot water for a nearly full 50 room motel. Maybe by Friday he'll have the right parts...we'll see

With room refunds and lost revenue from pissed off vacationers, wonder how my pricing is looking now?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Motel 6 without hot water needs a special pump to get the boiler working again. Their backup boiler has been down 6 months and they failed to take action on it. I price everything up and tell the regional manager the hot water can be on again within 24 hours with an overnight shipment from my supplier. Says my parts pricing is too high. He decides to get the parts at half what I'm charging and call me to install. He also wanted me to provide part numbers....no way!

2 wrong pumps and 4 days without hot water for a nearly full 50 room motel. Maybe by Friday he'll have the right parts...we'll see

With room refunds and lost revenue from pissed off vacationers, wonder how my pricing is looking now?
        Naturally, this got my attention.

I can understand when a homeowner, tight for cash, looks for savings, this is something altogether different, in lost revenues the guy must be kicking himself.

My guess is he's still rationalizing the mistake, blaming you or anything else but his cost cutting decision.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Naturally, this got my attention.

I can understand when a homeowner, tight for cash, looks for savings, this is something altogether different, in lost revenues the guy must be kicking himself.

My guess is he's still rationalizing the mistake, blaming you or anything else but his cost cutting decision.
          I've been down this same road with him before on other repairs. He was made fully aware of the pitfalls ahead of time. Never been an issue before but this is a low budget motel in a not so great part of town. Hookers, meth addicts and weary travelors mostly.

Yea, pushing the blame everywhere except on himself. My fault I didn't give him part numbers, My fault I didn't mention the adapter flange needed. My fault he wrote down the wrong voltage. FEDEX fault for not getting it there overnight.....more excuses than a 8 year old caught red handed.

Comment

Bill, I wouldn't underestimate the earnings for a motel that charges by the hour.

That said, I guess I'm luckier than you in that respect where I decide what jobs to take.

My "spidey sense" tingles when I get a call from someone who wants to set me up for a train wreck.

Recently, a fella wanted me to unhook the drainage for his grey waste and "just leave a stub" in the direction of a sump pit until he got around to having me back to connect it to the septic.

His septic was gonzo and he probably didn't have the umpteen grand to deal with it.

I felt bad turning the guy down, but I'd have felt even worse getting the call from the local health department down the road, not to mention the probability of rubber checks.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

a happy ending then ...

the manager had some big balls asking you for a parts number so he could cut out some of your profit margin...I wonder what he'd say if you stayed at the motel and deducted for unused options like pool or tv use from the final bill...

Comment

Working...
              X