Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

    Did a small repair job the other day, cartridge replacement in a Moen tub/shower valve 2 weeks old. Customer bought the Moen from Home Depot and hired a local company to install it. 2 Weeks later, it dribbles for hours after being turned off and local company refuses to fix it because coustomer bought "Class B Moen" product. This was how it was explained to me. I've never heard of Moen having different classes, and the Moen tub/shower rough ins I buy from my wholesaler are the same as on HD's shelves. On the other hand, I'm fairly new to the residential side of things. Anybody ever hear of Class A/Class B moen products? I haven't. Or was the other company Bsing the customer?
    Not trying to open a can of worms here, just satisfying my own curiosity.

  • #2
    Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

    I have never noticed a difference with Moen faucets. However, as the customer purchased the faucet, it would be the customers responsibility to pay for the repairs to the faucet. Many homeowners don't understand that the small percentage of markup that they pay for the materials does give them some additional protection.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

      Originally posted by HWS View Post
      Did a small repair job the other day, cartridge replacement in a Moen tub/shower valve 2 weeks old. Customer bought the Moen from Home Depot and hired a local company to install it. 2 Weeks later, it dribbles for hours after being turned off and local company refuses to fix it because coustomer bought "Class B Moen" product. This was how it was explained to me. I've never heard of Moen having different classes, and the Moen tub/shower rough ins I buy from my wholesaler are the same as on HD's shelves. On the other hand, I'm fairly new to the residential side of things. Anybody ever hear of Class A/Class B moen products? I haven't. Or was the other company Bsing the customer?
      Not trying to open a can of worms here, just satisfying my own curiosity.
      Some faucet manufacturers, I know for a fact Delta, Alsons, and I'm nearly certain Moen too, have faucet models that are similar but slightly different for sale at retail outlets, and plumbing supply houses. This is to prevent comparison shopping. If the model numbers aren't the same the customer can not make an apples to apples comparison. However, as far as I've observed the valve cartridges contained inside are the same. The design of the exterior faucets are different. From what I've observed from Moen and Delta is the designs available at the plumbing wholesale houses are sleeker. (More pleasing to my eye at any rate.) Of course that's a subjective evaluation on my part.

      Moen's cartridges to the best of my knowledge are the same where ever they are purchased. I believe they will replace them for you free of charge.
      Last edited by geno gardner; 11-28-2010, 11:31 AM.
      Time flies like an arrow.

      Fruit flies like a banana.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

        Correct. I just trade them out at any of the local moen dealers.

        Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        I believe they will replace them for you free of charge.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

          keep in mind that h.d sells both factory moen and 3rd. party aftermarket cartridges.

          the plumber installed the owners parts. the owner should bear the responsibility of replacing the defective parts.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

            This subject is the subject of much debate and personal opinons, across the web. Watch out for black helicopters!

            My opinion: the products sold on the mass market are intended to meet a price point. Most of the major manufacturers meet this price point by using a plastic pop up drain , for example. There are also some model numbers which are exclusive to the retailer, and these may include lower quality handles and trim part. BUT...in MY opinion, the internal valve bodies and cartridges are always the same...no A vs B.

            The one additional quality issue well known is the on-shelf tampering, and returned merchandise problems. The stores DO all have the banding machine, so the boxes always have a fresh band, but it may not be the factory band!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

              I have been starting to only use plumber exclusive products and buying from venders that only sell to plumbers. If they want to sell it cheap I am no longer interested they can keep it . Also try to use good made in the U.S.A. products. I ran into a Kolher rep at HD and explained how my suppliers were selling his toilets to me for more than HD and just what does he advise me to do when competing with big box stores he says you have to sell your self. Then the woman from HD chimes in and says your customers will start to see you are ripping them off and stop using you . I just walked away and though I am the fool that is still selling their crap helping them just so they can pay some Chinese man $5 a day to make a toilet and HD can degrade MY TRADE my livelihood. No thanks Moen, Delta, AS, Kolher, and State waterheaters can all keep pushing there crap I don't want it any more.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                I'm not "the customer" in this scenario, I'm the second plumbing contractor she called, after the installing plumber wouldn't or couldn't come out to fix it. I keep a small inventory of moen cartridges b/c moen is the local favourite brand around here, from what I've seen the same cartridge fits all their single-handle tub/shower setups.
                So, whether or not two classes of product exist, the innards are the same. Maybe its just a cosmetic thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                  Originally posted by HWS View Post
                  I'm not "the customer" in this scenario, I'm the second plumbing contractor she called, after the installing plumber wouldn't or couldn't come out to fix it. I keep a small inventory of moen cartridges b/c moen is the local favourite brand around here, from what I've seen the same cartridge fits all their single-handle tub/shower setups.
                  So, whether or not two classes of product exist, the innards are the same. Maybe its just a cosmetic thing.
                  no one said you were the customer just the cust. should be paying you as they supplyed the fixture even if you installed which you didn't plus one more thing sorry had to add it
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                    I re-read my post and thought it sounded like I was referring to myself in the third person when I said "the customer".
                    But I did get paid for the job though, plus a generous tip for showing up on short notice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                      Moen products are designed and constructed to offer years of trouble free operation. Rest assured that the highest quality components available are selected to meet the qualifications of all our products. Because of this, all Moen faucets are backed by Moen’s limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of the product.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                        Originally posted by OliviaMoen View Post
                        Moen products are designed and constructed to offer years of trouble free operation. Rest assured that the highest quality components available are selected to meet the qualifications of all our products. Because of this, all Moen faucets are backed by Moen’s limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of the product.
                        I for one appreciate Moen coming on here to answer the question but I am not sure you really addressed it. I think it would be fair to say Moen like so many other Manufacturers likely have lines marketed towards Big Box stores. That however, does not necessarily mean the operation of the product is compromised.

                        By the way, many of us make a pilgrimage to North Olmstead every so often as the host hotel for the Ridgid Roundup is across the 480 from you.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                          I deal with Moen faucets on an almost daily basis out here. The faucets sold at the big box stores use the same cartridges as the faucets sold at the plumbing supply stores. Everything else is different about them.

                          Like has already been said, the big box store faucets are designed to be sold cheaper then the plumbing supply faucets. To achieve that, they use things like plastic pop up drains, they don't give you nuts to use with a supply line, and they use much less brass in the faucets. The styles are also different so you can't price match from store to store.

                          What I like about the Moen faucets from the big box places that I wish all the faucet manufacturers would do, is they include a sticker that you place on the cabinet after you install the faucet that has the model number of the faucet on it. That will make it easier to track down parts for the faucet in the future. If only Kohler had started doing that about 50 years ago, my job would be a lot easier.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                            Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                            I deal with Moen faucets on an almost daily basis out here. The faucets sold at the big box stores use the same cartridges as the faucets sold at the plumbing supply stores. Everything else is different about them.

                            Like has already been said, the big box store faucets are designed to be sold cheaper then the plumbing supply faucets. To achieve that, they use things like plastic pop up drains, they don't give you nuts to use with a supply line, and they use much less brass in the faucets. The styles are also different so you can't price match from store to store.

                            What I like about the Moen faucets from the big box places that I wish all the faucet manufacturers would do, is they include a sticker that you place on the cabinet after you install the faucet that has the model number of the faucet on it. That will make it easier to track down parts for the faucet in the future. If only Kohler had started doing that about 50 years ago, my job would be a lot easier.
                            I have noticed that sticker as well just recently must be ferly new I like it alsow
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Does Moen "Class A" and "B" exist?

                              There is no warranty on customer provided equipment. If you want warranty service from me buy from me.
                              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X