Broke my first basin wrench...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke my first basin wrench...

today. Have had it for quite some time and it has been a work horse for me. It is only the second Ridgid tool that I have broke.

Anybody else break any other Ridgid tools?

Re: Broke my first basin wrench...

Inside pipe wrench long time ago. Had to stand on it with a 3 foot helper bar to do it though.

The little spring usually fails in the basin wrench before I get a chance to break it.

Comment

Retraction spring went on one of my 151 cutters, but rather than invest the time to repair it I just use it as is, works fine.

Bought a SeeSnake micro few years back, got home and tested it on my toilet.

After learning it doesn't clear the toilet trap, I used it to help take up some of that pesky extra storage space in one of my closets knowing it would be wrong to return a thing that's been in my toilet.

The wife just loves my special closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
        today. Have had it for quite some time and it has been a work horse for me. It is only the second Ridgid tool that I have broke.

I've always wondered about mine. Still using the same Ridgid basin wrench for more years than I can remember, maybe over 20. The teeth are worn down and I have trouble gripping nuts under faucets, I don't know how many times I've put the channel locks to it and it's still going strong.. but.. but... I just can't let it go, I love my basin wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post

Heck I broke a Ridgid basin wrench this week. Probably the fourth one I've broken. This was the one for larger diameter nuts. I was using a small (6" crescent wrench to tighten (very odd and tight spot) the wrench slipped off and dented the squareness of the tube so now the tube is locked in one setting.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Some time ago, I broke my father's basin wrench using it on something it was never designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Some time ago, I broke my father's basin wrench using it on something it was never designed for.
              I broke a basin wrench (twisted it actually so it wouldn't adjust anymore). I put an 18" pipe wrench on the bottom when it was fully extended to act as a cheater. Oops. Put a nice twist in that baby and it was locked in the fully extended position. Amazing the pin didn't break.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The pin that holds the jaws to the body is what broke on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  I've always wondered about mine. Still using the same Ridgid basin wrench for more years than I can remember, maybe over 20. The teeth are worn down and I have trouble gripping nuts under faucets, I don't know how many times I've put the channel locks to it and it's still going strong.. but.. but... I just can't let it go, I love my basin wrench!
                  Yep, I made the mistake a while back of putting a crescent wrench on mine for a cheater and took it outta square .Still can't remember how I fixed it but works like day 1
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've broke a pile of them. Using them to turn off water meters that only had a lil stub left for your key.....that would slip off. Replace the pin that holds the jaw and its good enough to work with.......I've never had a ridgid basin wrench that the spring jaw actually worked for any significant amount of time. I still think they are the best in production.

Comment

Only one i broke it was taking the lug nuts off a trailer..... I know i probably shouldnt have put the 2' wrench on it but suprisinly it didnt break until the last one!

Comment

Not to worry ! It's covered by the lifetime no warranteee
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The first one was covered by warranty but I highly doubt that the new one will be covered by warranty. I did manage to wreck my backup one with a 18" wrench on it. Now it is twisted so badly that it won't close anymore. I guess it is just my time for the tool demons to get me. Lots of tools breaking lately.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            Only one i broke it was taking the lug nuts off a trailer..... I know i probably shouldnt have put the 2' wrench on it but suprisinly it didnt break until the last one!
                            Same scenario here
                            s'ept mine was rear rim on a 72 chevy 3/4 ton notorious for getting hot and locking the nuts on the studs

Comment

I've been using the Ridgid Faucet and Sink Installer....I like it more than a basin wrench and there really isn't much that it can't do. I haven't run into any newer faucets that it couldn't install.

Just something you might want to look into....
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X