Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who found the most foolish way to break a pipe wrench?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who found the most foolish way to break a pipe wrench?

My contribution to tool abuse...

About ten years ago I managed to break a 48" aluminum pipe wrench. Yes, I'll admit I am strong but that's because I don't believe in deodorant.

I was on a job where In order to shut the water off to the house the riser tube needed to be straightened. The riser was bent at roughly a 20 degree angle down about 3' from the top. (It was about 8' long but we just dug up the top four feet.)

Genius that I am I decided to use an inexpensive 48" aluminum Ridgid pipe wrench on the top of the riser to pry it back. I figured with me going to town on a 4' wrench I could staighten that baby out. I was pulling sideways, 90 degrees from the way it's designed to be stressed. Believe me I was pulling with everything I had. The flat part of the wrench suddenly failed and broke apart where the jaw was pressuring it. It failed and I flew. Fast and far. The guys who happened to witness my unique flying technique got a good laugh.

The wrench was scrap afterward.

Anyone willing to admit they can beat my dumb dope factor?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Who found the most foolish way to break a pipe wrench?

You can actually fit an 18" wrench on 3" pipe if you extend the jaw all the way.

You can do an even more magnificent job mangling the wrench by using a 4' length of BM to cheat a stubborn, corroded 3" joint.

Comment

I have yet to break any of my Ridgid pipe wrenches, and I regularly use 3' cheaters on my 24's.

Comment

never have broken a wrench in 22 years. If I am going to use a cheater on an aluminum 24 I use 2" pipe and be sure to slide it all the way up on the handle. Most times just go for a bigger wrench or cut it out and start over works the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          I have yet to break any of my Ridgid pipe wrenches, and I regularly use 3' cheaters on my 24's.
          Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          never have broken a wrench in 22 years. If I am going to use a cheater on an aluminum 24 I use 2" pipe and be sure to slide it all the way up on the handle. Most times just go for a bigger wrench or cut it out and start over works the best.

What they said

Comment

A good way of breaking them is to give a push with the excavator bucket

Comment

Broke ne the other day. Lil ole 24 inch we were using.
              Using a machine that uses hydraulics to push rods into the ground for a trenchless water service lay. Not sure what it's called, but I think it's part of the Barracuda line, maybe.

Anyways when it retracts in loose soil you have to jam something on the rod and wedge it against the frame to release the jaws from the rod, and that something happened to be my pipewrench. Which happened to bind and those hydraulics broke it and didn't even grunt.

Comment

Working...
              X