Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on best tool for cutting cinh (for me)

Finally giving up on the angle grinder/diamond blade. It works ok if you just need to make a few cuts, but,
    - it's loud
    - it shot a piece of hot grit around my safety glasses today and darn near got my eye
    - it's a pita if you've got to do more than a couple of cuts

so, asking for opinions from the folks who've used them all and know what's best.

I don't do much of this. Just the occaisional replacement of some cracked out/rotted out iron. Don't want to spend a mint, but willing to put up for a good tool that will do the little bit of work I need from it nicely and w/o complaint forever. usually replacing overhead stuff hanging in a park garage. 2" to 4" is 98% of it. usually just dropping the old stuff down and putting new right back where it was.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Thoughts on best tool for cutting cinh (for me)

alex i have them all and for new construction i use the scissor style snap cutters.

but for service and repair, all i keep on the truck is the ridgid 226. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/226-Soil...r/EN/index.htm

this is the k-60 of the snap cutters

i have that along with the wheeler rex version. the ridgid is actually more maneuverable as the handle comes off and also rotates 90 on the shaft.

but remember no snap cutter is a guaranteed good cut on old rotted cast. especially in the ground. that's where the grinder comes in.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Finally giving up on the angle grinder/diamond blade. It works ok if you just need to make a few cuts, but,
      - it's loud
      - it shot a piece of hot grit around my safety glasses today and darn near got my eye
      - it's a pita if you've got to do more than a couple of cuts

so, asking for opinions from the folks who've used them all and know what's best.

I don't do much of this. Just the occaisional replacement of some cracked out/rotted out iron. Don't want to spend a mint, but willing to put up for a good tool that will do the little bit of work I need from it nicely and w/o complaint forever. usually replacing overhead stuff hanging in a park garage. 2" to 4" is 98% of it. usually just dropping the old stuff down and putting new right back where it was.

Thanks for your thoughts.
      Ace, If you have a Propress, AND if the pipe you are running into is service weight you could get the Press snapper. That works well unless the pipe is XH. In which case it's useless. Ridgid also makes a ratchet snapper that is great and faster than the snapper Rick posted. It won't fit into as tight a spot as the 226 though, and it's a bit heavier.

You could just pull out a sawzall, but I'm thinking you already know that. On good XH cast a sawzall can take a long time to make the cut, and sometimes I've gone through several blades per cut. (Not cheap).
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Have any of you guys played with using a 4 wheel pipe cutter on CI? I've done it once or twice with fair results.

Comment

226 vs 206 vs 246?
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex. the other ones are old school and take up lots of room to ratchet. and will jam if overtightened. the 226 is by far the handiest tool for service and repair.

if you really want the 246, i have one that's been sitting for years and years

the 226 will do what you need to do

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

It depends on how many cuts you have. For new residential/ small construction you can't go wrong with a chop saw. The cut is perfectly strait and it leaves a nice gewy tar ridge at the end that makes for a great seal. You wont fight any leaks this way. For larger production commercial work snap cutters are faster. For service I use a saws-all with the diamond blade.

Comment

I keep the Wheeler Rex 491-8 in the van for the occassional cast iron cut.I have three pair of the wheeler 590 for when we are going to be doing major cast install.

I don't like Ridgid's oversize links.Totally unnecessary,the cutters wear out before links can even think about getting so sloppy they may affect the cut.

Now that I have a full size propress I do get a job where we'll be running cast for more than a couple days I'll be getting the press snap.

Darn lucky with your eye today Alex.
                Thank Goodness.

I was getting showered with sparks this morning leaning into a grease interseptor to cut a cleanout window in the baffle.My eyes were once again spared.We all know even with eye protection with having tens of thousands of particles shooting around something happening should not be a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  - it's loud EAR PLUGS
                  - it shot a piece of hot grit around my safety glasses today and darn near got my eye WRAP AROUND SAFETY GLASSES
                  - it's a pita if you've got to do more than a couple of cuts NOT WITH A GOOD BLADE

I don't do much of this. GRINDER+NEW PACK OF DIAMOND BLADES+EAR PLUGS+GOOD SAFETY GLASSES=$35.00 TOPS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT
                  I'm not about to stop using mine... I started using one years before everyone picked up on the idea. Go to plbg.com and check my posts from 9 years ago when people didn't believe how well the idea worked.

Slotted diamond blade is the best. And, you should have a red brick with you as well to send the blade through, clean up the diamonds that will get gummed up when cutting cast iron. Either that or run the blade into a cinder block or a concrete floor or wall.
                  Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

the problem with a diamond grinder or abrasive wheel chop saw are the scrap fines/ sawdust. i can tell you from experiance, if you want to buy someones flooring from the hot sparks and rust marks left by the fines, then use the grinder/ chop saw. glad it wasn't me that ruined the finished floors and painted surfaces

a snap cutter is used everywhere it will fit. and any pipe that is sound and intact. anything else is based on what i have to work with.

same goes true with a cast iron sink to drill. the fines will rust immediately upon contact with liquids.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I had to cut through a piece of 4 inch cast today. I used the lennox diamond sawsall blades. It went great except my sawsall broke about 1/2 way through. cut time about 5 minutes. time to go buy a new saw about 1.5 hours. Ohhhhhh I was not happy. but the blade is my favorite for most cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        the problem with a diamond grinder or abrasive wheel chop saw are the scrap fines/ sawdust. i can tell you from experiance, if you want to buy someones flooring from the hot sparks and rust marks left by the fines, then use the grinder/ chop saw. glad it wasn't me that ruined the finished floors and painted surfaces

a snap cutter is used everywhere it will fit. and any pipe that is sound and intact. anything else is based on what i have to work with.

same goes true with a cast iron sink to drill. the fines will rust immediately upon contact with liquids.

rick.

Always in a basement, always putting down a drop cloth to protect anything that could damage.

I started off in the late 80's using the long bar ridgid snap cutter, couldn't get it into even a 1/3rd of the locations I needed it to swing and tighten, snap the cast iron.

Then I saw the wheeler rex snap cutter and bought it instantly, thinking the ratchet idea was stellar, and managed cutting better.

BUT,

there are times where you cannot get the chain around the pipe that is either encased in a brick chase, or they studded close the pipe. Now you're creating more work for a job that shouldn't require, and that's where a diamond blade on an angle grinder works perfect.

I can cut a box/window into the pipe, then access inside the pipe and cut the back side even if it is right against a concrete wall. Don't even touch the wood either.

Then there are times that you have to work with what you have, and many times I've cut a cast iron fitting and reconnect from a place on the fitting that a snap cutter either will damage the fitting or cut crooked.

And when you're dealing with older cast iron, the snap cutter is the last thing you use because it will splinter longways, or chop a hole into the piece you're cutting along with changing your initial first cut.

If you do that in a place that expands the job, like a christmas tree of fittings tucked into the floor, that's a horrible situation not expected and your customer is going to freak out.

The ridgid #226 is just a copy of the wheeler rex snap cutter from years ago, aside from the curled handle.

If I was doing a ground rough on a school, open area where I don't have to fight tight areas... I'd snap cut. But in service plumbing you have to work in the confines of surrounding areas and that grinder has been such a great advancement in dealing with reworks of drain systems.

I'm dealing with one starting tomorrow that has a tee buried in the footer, directly below it.

The snap cutter would be the last thing I put on that tee, knowing I need to carefully find the first 2" of decent hub to bell onto and make it work... because the other side of that footer is 6.5' of dirt and a concrete wall I'll never move.

I'll video the situation and blast it on youtube.

Comment

i agree but once again, if a snap cutter will fit or it's new pipe cutting, you can't beat a snap cutter.

the grinder and chop saw are great for the times a snap cutter won't work.

if i told you i have at least 15 grinders and 5 chop saws, i too use them when necessary.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i agree but once again, if a snap cutter will fit or it's new pipe cutting, you can't beat a snap cutter.

the grinder and chop saw are great for the times a snap cutter won't work.

if i told you i have at least 15 grinders and 5 chop saws, i too use them when necessary.

rick.

Damn california and cloning! So there's more than one of ya out there with all that equipment?

Lemme call Antiques Road Show... put your shop on their list.

Comment

don't get me started on sawzalls. i'm sure i have one for every day in february including leap year

1 day i will sell the farm

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X